Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback - 2005 Outback XT
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a little more growl from my XT. Don't want to go over the top with a complete cat back system. Plus, I'm just plain cheap.
Wondering if replacing the center resonator with a straight pipe would give me the sound that I'm looking for.
Car is otherwise stock.
Anybody tried this?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
The center resonator does the lion's share of noise reduction on these cars.

Replacing it with a straight pipe will give a LOT more sound. Earplug + helmet territory.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody got a sound byte?

Maybe i should replace it with a cherry bomb? J/k

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
I don't think you want to cut out the center resonator. I think you will get drone monster that way. Not much better sound. The glasspack is an interesting idea. Here is a sound byte with just a muffler delete. Keep in mind there is no drone, but the center pipe and resonator are intact.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,578 Posts
You're better off modifying some 08-14 STI mufflers if you just want the sound. Can be had cheap (OEM take-offs) and any competent exhaust shop can extend the hangers and flanges so it clears the rear bumper.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're better off modifying some 08-14 STI mufflers if you just want the sound. Can be had cheap (OEM take-offs) and any competent exhaust shop can extend the hangers and flanges so it clears the rear bumper.
That actually is my "plan A". Either aftermarket or OEM. Just been waiting for a set to turn up locally, priced appropriately.
Just kicking around other ideas in the meantime.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don’t have a resonator in my 05 OBXT and I have a catless Invidia downpipe and borla axlebacks...it’s very reasonable in terms of sound. No drone in the cabin, it’s only really loud on cold starts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
I don’t have a resonator in my 05 OBXT and I have a catless Invidia downpipe and borla axlebacks...it’s very reasonable in terms of sound. No drone in the cabin, it’s only really loud on cold starts

Yes, remember though, your system is complete from the DP back, a few custom spots and you are larger diameter with a decent performance muffler. If you just chop the resonator out of the stock set up...things get weird.

I was surprised how little drone you have all lings considered.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It’s very tolerable...My MK6 Jetta with the 2.5 I5 I had a straight pipe on that for awhile and it sounded awesome but after a year of that my ears bled after every car ride. I finally put a magnaflow on and I can hear myself think while I drive. I did enjoy driving all over Denver with an open downpipe for a half a day

1 - 10 of 10 Posts