Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Limited Manual
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've been experiencing this odd noise when starting and stopping at low speeds. It sounds like a clink of metal on metal, kind of like a small loose linkage or something. It only seems to occur at low speeds and seemingly only when I start or stop. It's a single clink, and happens just after I start moving and just before the car comes to a complete stop. Has anyone experienced anything like this or might know where I should start to look? I took a brief look underneath the front and rear of the car and tried jiggling things around but could not reproduce the noise. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
Could be a dry U-joint in the drive shaft to the rear differential.
Try driving forwards and backwards at the speed(s) you go through when starting off and stopping.

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Limited Manual
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be a dry U-joint in the drive shaft to the rear differential.
Try driving forwards and backwards at the speed(s) you go through when starting off and stopping.
I'll try that later today and report back. This may just be placebo but it also seems to happen more frequently/can be heard more when turning and moving slowly.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,617 Posts
brake pads could do similar stuff - maybe one that is dragging a little too much due to a sticking caliper?

can you have somen else drive the car back and forth such that you could safely pace it on foot? maybe pin-down which corner/end of the car is the source of the noise?

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
. . . It only seems to occur . . . only when I start or stop. It's a single clink, and happens just after I start moving and just before the car comes to a complete stop. . . ./QUOTE]

That is so much like the action of the shift lock solenoid used with the automatic transmission, but I understand this is a 5-speed manual.

Is the timing of the clink noise related to when the clutch pedal is being pressed down when coming to a stop or being raised when starting to move?

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Limited Manual
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys so much for the suggestions, I tested a few things on my own and wasn't able to come up with anything so I brought it by my local mechanic who almost immediately diagnosed it as a loose heat shield for the catalytic converter. He said it wasn't anything to worry about and said it could be a quick job, so if I get a chance next week sometime I'll have a look under there and see what I can find, or bring it to him. It makes a lot of sense because the clink seemed to definitely be triggered by the inertia of whatever was making the noise. As I would accelerate it would clink once to one side, then just before I came to a complete stop it would clink back. I'll update with pictures when I do it.

·
Registered
2005 3.0R
227 Posts
Hmmmm... Any loose heatshields I've ever had did more rattling than clinking. I'ma still put my money on u-joint, but I do hope it's just the heatshield.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Thank you guys so much for the suggestions, I tested a few things on my own and wasn't able to come up with anything so I brought it by my local mechanic who almost immediately diagnosed it as a loose heat shield for the catalytic converter. He said it wasn't anything to worry about and said it could be a quick job, so if I get a chance next week sometime I'll have a look under there and see what I can find, or bring it to him. It makes a lot of sense because the clink seemed to definitely be triggered by the inertia of whatever was making the noise. As I would accelerate it would clink once to one side, then just before I came to a complete stop it would clink back. I'll update with pictures when I do it.
My first suggestion was a heat shield with just enough give to make that noise, or even something rolling around in your glove box or one of the door pockets.

I noticed sometimes folks here get into the "WebMD" mode. Me: My foot hurts. WebMD: IT'S CANCER!!! You: My car is making a little sound. This site: IT'S YOUR TRANSMISSION!!! :)

·
Registered
2006 2.5i Limited Manual
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally, a month and a half later, the cause of the problem is found! I went back to my mechanic and we ran the car while on the lift and isolated the noise to one wheel, he figured it was something inside the emergency brake drum and I agreed, but when he popped off the tire he dropped it from about 4 feet and it rattled! We both looked at each other and back at the tire and dropped and shook it a few more times and confirmed that there was something clicking around in there. Long story short, the better part of a 3/16ths drill bit has been rattling around INSIDE MY TIRE for about two months. Earlier in the summer I had taken my car to firestone to get a slow leak in that tire plugged, and when they plugged it they must have just pushed this thing into the tire instead of pulling it out and doing it properly. Last time I go to them to get a flat fixed...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts