Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to the site. Have just bought a 2010 Outback with 35k miles and am really loving it.

I have just one question. Never having had an AWD or 4x4 (or Subaru for that matter) car I notice a noise coming from the rear of the car when accelerating either left or right from a standstill. So at a stop sign when I accelerate hard turning either left or right there is a 'brrrrrr' sound coming from the rear. It sounds and feels like a vibration, but I can't determine if it's the rear wheels trying to gain traction or something more mechanically wrong? The sound only lasts 1 or 2 seconds and it does not make the sound when accelerating in a straight line, just when turning.

I have tried to find a similar problem on an earlier thread, but nothing seems to match. So, is it a normal Subaru quirk or a potential issue I need a dealer to check?

Thanks for any advice
Al

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5
139 Posts
Hi,

New to the site. Have just bought a 2010 Outback with 35k miles and am really loving it.

I have just one question. Never having had an AWD or 4x4 (or Subaru for that matter) car I notice a noise coming from the rear of the car when accelerating either left or right from a standstill. So at a stop sign when I accelerate hard turning either left or right there is a 'brrrrrr' sound coming from the rear. It sounds and feels like a vibration, but I can't determine if it's the rear wheels trying to gain traction or something more mechanically wrong? The sound only lasts 1 or 2 seconds and it does not make the sound when accelerating in a straight line, just when turning.

I have tried to find a similar problem on an earlier thread, but nothing seems to match. So, is it a normal Subaru quirk or a potential issue I need a dealer to check?

Thanks for any advice
Al
If we're talking about the same thing, I get this noise too on my 2011 2.5 OB ... this has been reported in other threads such as:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...nt-sound-rear-end-when-turning-low-speed.html

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
My 10 does it, although I had the front and rear diff oil replaced recently I 'm not sure if it still does it.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/nav/eye
366 Posts
beaten to death...apprantly it is normal....mine does it as well...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
If you are still truly worried at 35Kmi you can still purchase the extended factory warranty and not be concerned for another 65Kmi.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the very helpful replies. Clearly I was looking in the wrong place/using the wrong terms when seeing if I could find prior posts. Computers are not my friends.

I'll replace the oil and generally not worry about the situation. I have extra warranty coverage until 125,000 so I will sleep easy.

Great car though :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts