Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My wife's car, 2006 LLBean 3.0 Outback wagon, has an odd vibration which I can't seem to narrow done. I had the wheels balanced and tires rotated thinking that might be the problem. Nope. Vibration is still there. BTW, the vibration only happens when the car is on the gas and while turning slightly, eg changing lanes, going up hill, following a long bend in the road. We encountered this vibration most at interstate speeds. When the car is at interstate speeds and driving in a straight line, there is no vibration. Again, the vibration only occurs when at speed and turning the steering wheel even a little.

While changing the oil, I noticed that both axle boots were split. Not having a garage anymore, we decided to take it to the shop. The cost for redoing the boots was nearly as much as getting new axles. We decided to replace the axles. When we had the axles replaced, I insisted on getting Subaru replacement parts. I know that they're more expensive, but I try to buy factory parts that the dealers use to avoid cheap, Chinese junk.

Could this issue be caused by the axles or am I over looking something? I'm open to suggestions.

Sincerely,
Heinz

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Can you describe the vibration a little more? Do you feel it in the steering wheel, or the entire car?

The vibe from axles is usually an issue with the car in drive and foot on the brake.

Any symptoms of wheel bearing failure or ball joint failure. Have you jacked up the car and shaken each wheel? Any sign of cupping on the tires?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts