Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Purpose of this thread is to discuss the interchange/compatibility of the OEM "pocket lights" These are the LED assemblies that are found in the glove box, the door handle pockets, underneath seats, the storage area underneath the center console, cup holders, and other locations around the car (even the foot well illumination)

On the Gen5 cars (and others) - the glove box lamp is a small single surface mount LED emitter assembly. Basic two wire power - same plug as all the other pocket light lamp assemblies. The glove box light comes on with the parking lights/headlights, it is not connected to any switch for the glove box. The lamp is held in place by a plastic bracket - "holder-lamp" (It's the same piece of plastic used on a lot of other models - everything since 2010 except for the BRZ).

The color in the outback is a very warm white.. and it's not overly bright so it appears very yellow. The word Umber is used in some of the online descriptions of the part.

Maybe you want to color match to your jazzy blue foot well lighting (that yellowish glove box light is old hat... get the new hotness!)... Maybe you want Red to be more STI like for the glove box... Maybe you just want to swap out the emitters for your other pocket lights for RED from BLUE (or white).

Anyway...

I ordered three other emitter assemblies, one in BLUE, one in RED, and one in White

These are the part numbers:

• 66237SA120 - Red (will have a red housing)
  • 66237SA140 - Blue (will have a blue housing)
  • 66237AJ06A - White (will have a gray housing)
  • 66237AJ01A - stock Umber one on the outback (boring old color) and will have a black housing
Yes, there are other part numbers which are red, blue, or even umber... but not sure which ones might be less output (some are used for the doors, center console, rear seat cup holders, and so on). These are the more common ones you will see on eBay and elsewhere (the white, for instance, is listed as the foot well light for the Ascent Touring).

Pictures of the Assemblies:

Here are three assemblies next to each other (66237SA140 - Blue, 66237SA120 - Red , and 66237AJ01A - umber). They are even color coded for your convenience. The red and blue come with a dark brown/red rubber cap. This cap is mostly opaque and would change the color of the light (what little gets through). The assumption here is that this is a protection device for packaging. Took a picture in case you order one or see one online with the rubber cap installed, no worries. Removed those and put them aside. Here they are with and without the caps - all three. Blue, Red, and the original one. If you look close at the emitters in the second picture, there is a thin slightly opaque film covering them, blue, red, and no-tint (clear) respectively.

Here is the white 66237AJ06A. Depending on part number, these come with a different colored plastic snap on diffuser - it is keyed so that it can be locked into some retaining hole cutouts (depends on original application). These are translucent and allow light to pass through. For glovebox or footwell lights, you use the side tabs to secure the lamp in the mount, so we discard this diffuser for this application (we want white, not orange, yellow, gray filtered light).​

To Remove/Install:
  • open glove box
  • remove plastic "holder-lamp"
  • unplug wire from lamp
  • remove emitter assembly from holder, replace it with whatever one you want
  • plug wire back in to lamp
  • reinstall plastic "holder-lamp"
Here is what the lamp holder looks like (without the lamp inserted into the holder) ... to remove it, you disengage the large snap hook side - insert a screwdriver from the drivers side direction just under the edge of the lamp holder. It's pretty big so you have to push it towards the opposite side a bit (the other side of the holder has two feet that catch). No need to remove the glove box itself, you have plenty of room.

Illumination examples:

What appears brighter to you will be whatever colors you see best. For me, easiest to see at night - whites, stock, followed by either blue or red (those are a draw).

ALSO - I did not reinstall the lamp assembly back in the holder for the lighting example pictures, I just left it dangling in place, so the overall lighting is a bit more dim when installed properly than here. There is no sharp cutoff of the shadow on the left (for example) when installed correctly. This is simply to give you an idea of the color difference (as if you don't already know, but it shows the little lamps working in place because people like pictures).

First up - iPhone with flash, or, what the iPhone thinks colors should look like (you see the stock lamp assembly hanging there), so the light will be brighter in each example and not even in the later shots - not quite what it looks like when installed... it's cold, and I'm lazy).

Random item from workbench tossed in for context.
Stock lamp assembly that is in the car today (66237AJ01A)
Next, we have the Red lamp assembly (66237SA120)

Here is the Blue lamp assembly

White lamp assembly 66237AJ06A

Alternate Part Numbers:
Examples of listed use (from subaru parts site). The ones tested by me are in bold. The courtesy lights listed appear to come with different removable diffusers attached (plastic ones are used for mounting as well, rubber ones are not). Costs can vary quite a bit. Same form factor/plug for all of them. Appear to have the same SMD chips on all of them (the ones I have seen here and elsewhere).

White Part Numbers (same output, 66237AJ05A and 66237AJ08A tested by user Stuff in post #15). These come with different snap on plastic diffusers (not used for a glovebox application, remove and discard).
  • 66237AJ06A - Ascent Glovebox / Footwell
  • 66237AJ05A - Ascent cup holder / rear footwell
  • 66237AJ08A - Outback (2020) center console pocket courtesy light
Blue Part Numbers
  • 66237SA140 - Impreza/Forester/WRX/STI glove box / center console pocket
  • 66237AJ07A - Ascent cup holder courtesy light
  • 66237AJ03A - Outback (Gen5) center console pocket courtesy light
  • 66237AJ02A - Outback (Gen5) door pull handle pocket courtesy light
Red Part Numbers
  • 66237SA120 - WRX/STI footwell light
  • 66237SA020 - WRX/STI (2008-2014) center console pocket courtesy light
Umber Part Numbers
  • 66237AJ01A - Outback (Gen5) glove box
  • 66237AJ04A - Impreza (2020)/Ascent center console pocket courtesy light, Impreza (2020) glove box light
  • 66237SA010 - Impreza/Forester/WRX/STI glove box light

Updates:
  1. Combined later post into this one, all part numbers I tested for the glovebox are now in the original post.
  2. Alternate part numbers listed (not all tested, only for color reference)
  3. Post #15 has alternate WHITE part numbers listed (66237AJ05A, 66237AJ08A) and tested by @Stuff
  4. Post #17 has part numbers for the harness connector (Yazaki 7283-5845) for those interested in wiring in more/new OEM emitters
  5. Added listed location/use of lamps, added which diffuser comes with some lamps

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Touring XT
176 Posts
Thanks for the writeup. I'm looking for more white so going to try this one: 66237AJ08A It is used in the phone pocket of the 2020 so at least it should match what I have.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
other good white ones might be some of the ones used on the Subaru Ascent.... (if that one isn't bright enough)
  • 66237AJ05A - light under the seat on the touring model
  • 66237AJ06A - stock foot well light on the touring model (not the blue accessory version)

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where did you order them from?
the blue off of ebay because I found one about 2/3 the price... although that only saves a few $$ off of the $14, but was shipped to my door for that price... otherwise I just order them on parts.subaru.com and pick up at the local dealer (no shipping that way, and there is still the basic discount that all of them have). The price drops once you add it to a cart/press the "shop now" button.

The blue and red ones show $18 each on parts.subaru.com ... but once added to the cart, are $13.80 and $13.53 respectively if I pick them up locally. No shipping but there will be some state sales tax.

If a dealer wasn't convenient nearby to pickup, I'd get them on ebay.... red are usually available, they're popular. not quite a dollar more than the local dealer, but shipped free to my house. After that, I'd do as Stuff has done, and use subarupartsonline. Again, this is if a dealer isn't nearby to be convenient (like if I had to drive two hours in each direction).

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm having pcb's made at the moment to add RGB LED lights basically wherever I want. Going to make kits if there's enough interest.

Might be of interest to some here so I will just leave this teaser here...

Do Gen5's still have the Shower blue led?
don't know. This thread isn't about your kit though. That deserves it's own thread to gauge interest.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
248 Posts
True, and I meant no disrespect, however the topic was about alternative cabin lights. I was simply showing an alternative at the same time.

I'll happily remove the post if you feel otherwise.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Touring XT
176 Posts
the blue off of ebay because I found one about 2/3 the price... although that only saves a few $$ off of the $14, but was shipped to my door for that price... otherwise I just order them on parts.subaru.com and pick up at the local dealer (no shipping that way, and there is still the basic discount that all of them have). The price drops once you add it to a cart/press the "shop now" button.

The blue and red ones show $18 each on parts.subaru.com ... but once added to the cart, are $13.80 and $13.53 respectively if I pick them up locally. No shipping but there will be some state sales tax.

If a dealer wasn't convenient nearby to pickup, I'd get them on ebay.... red are usually available, they're popular. not quite a dollar more than the local dealer, but shipped free to my house. After that, I'd do as Stuff has done, and use subarupartsonline. Again, this is if a dealer isn't nearby to be convenient (like if I had to drive two hours in each direction).
None of the dealers close to me show any discount so I didn't know it was available through the Subaru parts site. I searched and found a dealer 60 miles away that shows a 31% discount but not worth the drive for these small parts. Good info though as may use them in the future.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True, and I meant no disrespect, however the topic was about alternative cabin lights. I was simply showing an alternative at the same time.

I'll happily remove the post if you feel otherwise.
Title does say OEM alternate color.... and it's specifically about the OEM parts if you read the first post. Post yours up in it's own topic! people will be interested! Doing it here won't get it the exposure it should get.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
248 Posts
Title does say OEM alternate color.... and it's specifically about the OEM parts if you read the first post. Post yours up in it's own topic! people will be interested! Doing it here won't get it the exposure it should get.
Noted and removed ☕

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, back to the subaru branded OEM lamps.

I just ordered the 5, 6, and 8 versions from http://subaruonlineparts.com to compare brightness. Will report back when I get them.
if they all have the black housing, mark/label them as soon as you remove them from the package so you know which one is which. The part number is not printed on the part. There is some identifier printed on the end, but it won't be obvious which one is which.

The housing is easily removed from the emitter itself... inside there isn't much to see. Difference between those might just be a different resistor.

Here is the 66237AJ01A one pulled apart (the tabs at the top corners will release the clips - it's the only thing holding it together - press fit):

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered the 66237AJ06A light which is the standard footwell light for the Ascent Touring model.

Here is the assembly. The outer casing is gray, and it is shipped with a plastic protector that you remove.

Installed like the early pictures - light just hanging there, gives you an idea of the brightness and the color.... definitely a white color, not too blue like some "white" LEDs. If you are looking for a white light, and brighter than the stock amber colored LED... this is a good replacement. I'd be curious if one of those other lights is lower power, and would be a little less bright, but not curious enough to order something else. When this is installed properly, it's bright but doesn't bother me at night.

PICTURES:

White lamp assembly from the Ascent Touring foot well (66237AJ06A)​

Stock lamp assembly that is in the car today (66237AJ01A)

Next, we have the Red lamp assembly (66237SA120)

And then finally, here is the Blue lamp assembly (66237SA140)

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Touring XT
176 Posts
I had some time to play.

The original 66237AJ01A has a black case and has a yellowish light
The 66237AJ05A has a gray case and orange protector
The 66237AJ06A has a gray case and yellow protector
The 66237AJ08A has a gray case and gray protector

From what my eyes tell me the 5, 6, and 8 are all providing the same white light output. So order whichever one is cheapest (66237AJ08A by a few cents at the moment).

·
Registered
36 Posts
hrmm reviving an old thread since these can be used for footwell illumination lamps. I wonder what type of wire connectors these terminate with? if we can figure that out it may be possible to make a DYI wire harness.

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
369 Posts
I'm in the process of DIY-ing footwell lights on my 18. These LED light modules mate with Yazaki 7283-5845 connectors. I couldn't find small quantities of this connector in brand name, so just search AliExpress for the part number & find a wide selection of knock offs. With the lights & connectors in hand I can confirm they mate correctly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in the process of DIY-ing footwell lights on my 18. These LED light modules mate with Yazaki 7283-5845 connectors. I couldn't find small quantities of this connector in brand name, so just search AliExpress for the part number & find a wide selection of knock offs. With the lights & connectors in hand I can confirm they mate correctly.
Awesome. Doing the same myself. the plan was using Oznium sticky LED modules,
these: Buy 12v SMD LED Modules | Super Bright SMD Surface Mount
with the belief thinking it would provide a more even light spread but I may go with the OEM lights instead.

Now we just have to figure the hazard button connector. Ideally I would like to avoid splicing into the harness or taking it apart. making a short extension would be best like the stock illumination kit.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome. Doing the same myself. the plan was using Oznium sticky LED modules,
these: Buy 12v SMD LED Modules | Super Bright SMD Surface Mount
with the belief thinking it would provide a more even light spread but I may go with the OEM lights instead.

Now we just have to figure the hazard button connector. Ideally I would like to avoid splicing into the harness or taking it apart. making a short extension would be best like the stock illumination kit.
you might start a good DIY thread with a matching title - would be easier for other people to find (since you're now talking about something that is outside of the original thread intent here).... There aren't a lot of good DIY footwell light threads in the Gen5 section.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts