Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
619 Posts
Awesome. Doing the same myself. the plan was using Oznium sticky LED modules,
these: Buy 12v SMD LED Modules | Super Bright SMD Surface Mount
with the belief thinking it would provide a more even light spread but I may go with the OEM lights instead.
Be careful with super bright aftermarket LEDs. It could make night driving distracting and possibly illegal depending on your state. I made the mistake a few years with another car where I replaced the stock halogen footwell bulbs with some LEDs. The bulbs were so bright that it was distracting, like driving with all the overhead and map lights on. Also the 6000K made such a glare it was difficult to see the dash and the road outside. I ended up putting the stock bulbs back. Also some states have laws about driving with interior lights and sometime outside lights, like those that make the car look like it’s floating, it does attract the unexpected attention. Had a friend that added purple lights to his wife’s car in the wheel wells and under the car. She was stopped one nite and received some citation for illegal lot not street legal lighting. After paying the fine he took the lights off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Be careful with super bright aftermarket LEDs. It could make night driving distracting and possibly illegal depending on your state...
Exactly this is why the factory ones here are a good choice.

Somewhat off topic but I guess I can now say, the Oznium strip didn't work out. I thought I was safe with only 10 lumens for an output rating but they turned out way too bright as they ended up producing enough light from the footwells that it overpowers the stock LED on the doors

Anyways I ordered some Yazaki 7283-5845 connectors, however its going be at least until Nov before I get them from China. I may also end up changing my glove box lamp out for a white one as well.
*edit a trip to a salvage yard may be in order *

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just an FYI. I know your thread is geared towards the glove box, but as a heads up for those trying to figure out the difference between part numbers it would appear that 66237SA140 blue lamp listed first wont fit the footwell sockets in a gen 5.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just an FYI. I know your thread is geared towards the glove box, but as a heads up for those trying to figure out the difference between part numbers it would appear that 66237SA140 blue lamp listed first wont fit the footwell sockets in a gen 5.
They absolutely fit.

Here are two different lamps shown in the lower trim piece from the driver's side footwell - the first are the ones I bought for a 2015 (the OEM kit when it was first released for the 2016 model, I bought it and installed it on the 2015 I had), moved it to a 2017 and then to the 2019. The second set of pictures are the 66237SA140 lamp installed in the same location. It snaps in place just like the OEM footwell kit lamps, is secure, and the plug has clearance to connect.

OEM kit:

66237SA140 (pocket lamp housing style).

The tabs that lock the lamps in place are in the same location near that end of the housing on both sides. The shape of plastic collar surrounding the SMD chip is a bit different - the OEM one is longer, but that is not used to hold the assembly in place. The diameter and tab locations on that collar are the same near the end (so any rubber cap would fit on either - the OEM kit lamps did not come with anything there). The OEM footwell kit lamp also has a small diffuser attached (not normally removable). The output between the two is almost equal - the 66237SA140 is a tiny bit brighter, but in a footwell application you wouldn't know the difference (not worth the upgrade to swap out if you already have an OEM kit, unless you want to change color between white, blue or red).

OEM footwell lamp next to the 66237SA140

·
Registered
37 Posts
They absolutely fit.
So I accidentally figured that out myself. I got the idea to remove the brown rubber cap which I assume is a diffuser cover and it clicked in perfectly. Seems like that was the problem. Doh!

Still the J02A and J03A parts are probably a better/more versatile option in the footwell location. I'd be temped to swap my parts out if it wasn't for the dealers 35% restock fee.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can someone please clarify....
With these mods, are the footwell lights on at all time or not? My 2017 does not have any footwell lights when I am driving.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Can someone please clarify....
With these mods, are the footwell lights on at all time or not? My 2017 does not have any footwell lights when I am driving.
the OEM footwell kit is connected to a circuit for the interior illumination, so they come on whenever the parking lights or headlights are on. The glovebox lamp works the same way - there is no contact switch for it, if your interior illumination is on (like for the heater controls) then the glovebox lamp is on.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts