Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if the people who live in hot climates (Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas, Death Valley, etc) can tell me how long their factory installed Subaru battery lasted them. I have a 2010 Outback that is driven almost every day in Tucson, Arizona. It has 26,000 miles on it. The Outback is my wife's car and I do not want her to be stranded with a sudden dead battery (which is frequently how they fail in hot climates...without any real warning). I would rather spend the money for a new battery than to have my wife stranded. So, how long has your factory battery lasted you? Please, only those who life in hot climates.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
Wondering if the people who live in hot climates (Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas, Death Valley, etc) can tell me how long their factory installed Subaru battery lasted them. I have a 2010 Outback that is driven almost every day in Tucson, Arizona. It has 26,000 miles on it. The Outback is my wife's car and I do not want her to be stranded with a sudden dead battery (which is frequently how they fail in hot climates...without any real warning). I would rather spend the money for a new battery than to have my wife stranded. So, how long has your factory battery lasted you? Please, only those who life in hot climates.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Every time I change the battery (after OEM) I use optima red top. With slight modification of the battery holder, it's the best battery (in my opinion) that money can buy in any climate zone!

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Every time I change the battery (after OEM) I use optima red top. With slight modification of the battery holder, it's the best battery (in my opinion) that money can buy in any climate zone!
Er... Every time? How often are you having to replace them?

I got 12+ years out of an ordinary diehard once, and some of those years included Alaskan winters. More recently I haven't been so lucky, but I've still never had to give any car I owned a third battery.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
So far twice (on 2 Subarus) and quite a few times on many of my and my wife's previous cars... why?
Ok spread over a few cars that seems ok... The way you'd written your other post made it sound like you were off for a new battery frequently for the same car. Not the best endorsement on a battery, eh? :)

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Sorry - my bad! I should have been more specific then.... Actually most of "used - end of the life-cycle" Subaru batteries I recycled and put them on some of my teen or younger driving kids older cars and they seemed to "live" for-ever....LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the responses!

Thanks for the responses....even though it seems like the Subaru OEM battery has a few more years left in it, I know from experience that it will suddenly fail. That picture shows that average battery life in Tucson is 30 months. Thanks for the info. I too always buy Optima red top batteries when I lived in Phoenix and now Tucson. In my Avalanche, the Chevrolet OEM battery stranded me after about three years. I replaced it with an Optima and it lasted seven years and was still cranking. I ended up replacing it last year just because it seemed like it was not as strong. Of course, the replacement was another Optima!

·
Registered
120 Posts
my 2000 outbacks battery lasted 5 years in arkansas. it was replaced by the cheapest of the cheap autozone battery that lasted 7 years. it has a duralas gold in it now.

i think its got to do more with the amount of abuse you put it through that gives it its longevity

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
i've been posting that map for several years and batteries may be a little better now than is indicated by those colors.

but, I have 39 years or so of being responsible for cars - sometimes up to 4 at a time - and MOST batteries have only lasted 2.5 to 3 years or so here in DFW. The Yuasa that came in my 81 Civic wagon lasted 5 years - that's my best. I had the stock batt in my WRX last over 4 years, that's my second best.

no doubt a coupla trips to complete discharge and other problems/neglect will decrease a battery's lifespan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
1 Lucky Texan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing