Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
If the dealer supplies free wipers for your Outback under warranty, those are the best because they are free.
If your Outback has Eyesight, you should use OEM wipers.

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2011 2.5l CVT
32 Posts
If the dealer supplies free wipers for your Outback under warranty, those are the best...
Don't agree:p My OEM wipers performed like the cheapest blades on market. Replaced for Bosch, as usual:)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Wiper blades? I haven't seen rain in a long time.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
I have been happy with the OEM wipers. I replace wipers on my cars every six months unless they need them sooner. I can't say how well they hold up with a lot of snow, since we had a wimpy winter last year.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
My dealer said you could only replace the wipers once under warranty.. anyone know if this is true.

I've been happy with the OEM blades so far, but I think Bosch Premium are a little bit better. But if they are free for 36k, dealer blades it is ;)

And how does the wipers affect EyeSight? Not doubting it, just curious how. Or is it to avoid them blaming the wipers?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
OEM's perform just fine but I prefer Bosch. I throw on a new set at the first sign of streaking. Never pay somebody to replace your blades.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I like how Bosch Icons perform, but for some reason the driver's side wiper always has the blade start peeling off a tiny bit on the end. It's no more than an inch and is barely noticeable as far as how it wipes the windshield, but it's happened to three in a row now. I might look for something else when I replace them before winter starts for that reason only.

I tend to replace my front blades at least once a year (usually slightly more often than that), but the back one less often since I don't use it as much (tends to take quite a while to start wearing out).

·
Registered
332 Posts
And how does the wipers affect EyeSight? Not doubting it, just curious how. Or is it to avoid them blaming the wipers?
Subaru says:
"Use Subaru genuine part only for wiper blade body and blade rubber. Using the part other than genuine part will affect the recognition of the stereo camera, which may cause the function not to operate correctly."

You can't put things on the dashboard or on a major part of the windshield.
Even a fingerprint on the lens, extreme temperatures or uneven tire pressure will affect operation as will rain, fog or dirt on the windshield or driving into the sun.
They say that vehicle loading, or driving on a hill can affect the operation also.

Talk about sensitive...

·
Registered
18,719 Posts
Subaru says:
"Use Subaru genuine part only for wiper blade body and blade rubber. Using the part other than genuine part will affect the recognition of the stereo camera, which may cause the function not to operate correctly."

Even a fingerprint on the lens or uneven tire pressure will affect operation as will rain or dirt on the windshield or driving into the sun.
They say that tire pressure or vehicle loading can affect the operation also.

Talk about sensitive...
Indeed. Is this in the Owners Manual, and if not, then where?

·
Registered
332 Posts
That quote is from the service manual but the owner's manual has lots of the same info, plus more.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,861 Posts
...I ordered a whack of refills from subaruonlineparts.com...cheaper than getting them from the dealer. I just change 'em when they start to show wear. I also ordered a set of winters too. There are lots of aftermarket ones out there and I don't think that they will affect eyesight. After all, subaru wants to sell THEIR parts to you for a higher price.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R with Moonroof
2 Posts
Free Wiper Blade Replacements under warranty

Wear Item Limited Warranty
WEAR ITEM COVERAGE is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades.

https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/warranties-2013.html

Looks like the same applies for 2012. I didn't go back any further than that. Got my free replacements today when I took my Outback in for an oil change.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
Subaru says:

Even a fingerprint on the lens, extreme temperatures or uneven tire pressure will affect operation as will rain, fog or dirt on the windshield or driving into the sun.
They say that vehicle loading, or driving on a hill can affect the operation also.

Talk about sensitive...
Hmm. I suppose if an aftermarket blade uses some foreign material it may confuse eye-sight. Probably not, but I guess they can guarantee the OEM won't.

And, yea, sounds pretty sensitive otherwise too.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
.....You can't put things on the dashboard or on a major part of the windshield.

Talk about sensitive...
Don't forget to include color of the vehicle. Black is a no-go.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,336 Posts
I called the Stealer and they want $30, $27, and $14 for the flippin' refills (in Canada)! kind of frustrating when I can go online and see what SPO charges....

I decided to try Trico NeoForm blades, bonus that they were on sale. Seem good so far.
(Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, thought I'd add new information rather than start a new thread)

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,428 Posts
I called the Stealer and they want $30, $27, and $14 for the flippin' refills (in Canada)! kind of frustrating when I can go online and see what SPO charges....

I decided to try Trico NeoForm blades, bonus that they were on sale. Seem good so far.
(Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, thought I'd add new information rather than start a new thread)
Aren't wiper blades included in the 3yr warranty?

(Post #16)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts