Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, my 2011 Subaru outback would have premature bulb burn out. Subaru apparently fix his issue with a newer bulb that has a tougher filament.

Essentially, we need to use H7LL (LL for long life) rather than regular H7 for the low beam. Subaru has essentially replace all of their H7 bulb with the long life version. How does the "newer" stock H7 (part number 84920 AG020) compare to the aftermarket LL bulbs? I notice that both Philip and Sylvania have both LL version.

Paul

·
Registered
361 Posts
As the linked article states, LL bulbs have a more robust filament. The trade off is cost, and to a lesser extent light output (you'd never notice).

I suspect the projector beam type of headlamp or other factor in the lamp design puts more stress on the bulb (probably via heat retention) and giving shorter than expected bulb life.

I've had one bulb fail on my 2012 maybe three or four years ago. I replaced both at the time. Not sure what I installed, but I haven't had to replace them again.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I installed the Rallye 'Off-Road' 65w bulbs right after buying my '12, and they're both kicking after 5 years. (Probably just jinxed myself, and will loose one this week). They also have a more robust filament, and are actually a bit brighter than the standard / LL bulbs.

The main problem with the bulbs, especially in the '10-'12 models is the VERY short delay on the lights coming on when passing under overpasses, trees, etc. Those initial voltage application of turning them on, really takes its toll on the filament life. The '13-'14 aren't supposed to fry the low beams as quickly, as they have a longer delay.

Also replace the high beams, mine were brown when I replaced them back in '14, and both of those burned out and have been replaced yet again since. Even running at reduced voltage as DRLs and switching off and back on with those overpasses kills them quickly as well. - I'd so love to replace both the Hi & Lo beams with LEDs, but I haven't seen a decent H7 LED that works in a projector housing.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The main problem with the bulbs, especially in the '10-'12 models is the VERY short delay on the lights coming on when passing under overpasses, trees, etc. Those initial voltage application of turning them on, really takes its toll on the filament life.
Good point. Short cycling is brutal on incandescent halogen bulbs.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Replaced the OEM bulbs after just a few months of buying it. I still prefer LED bulb from my mechanic as it;s much more longer compared to what is already installed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Go LED. I have converted every single bulb in my 2010 to LED (with the exception of the gauge cluster and glovebox lights), and the light is much cleaner/more effective. It's also nicer to your battery and electrical system (less draw), and they tend to last much longer than conventional bulbs. They also run cooler, which is a plus. I installed LASFIT bulbs (search for them on eBay) for my low beams, high beams, and fog lights. They will definitely last longer than halogens, and the light is far superior. Give them a try. Your wallet will thank you for not having to spend another $50+ on burnt-out inferior halogen bulbs in the future.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Do the LASFIT bulbs actually project the light down the road in the low beam projectors? - I tired 3 different LEDs a couple years ago, and I might as well been driving using a couple of candles with a reflector behind them, it was horrifying. They were pulled the next morning, and replaced with the current Rallye bulbs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do the LASFIT bulbs actually project the light down the road in the low beam projectors? - I tired 3 different LEDs a couple years ago, and I might as well been driving using a couple of candles with a reflector behind them, it was horrifying. They were pulled the next morning, and replaced with the current Rallye bulbs.
I have not noticed a significant difference in the performance of the low beam bulbs. They may be the tiniest bit dimmer than proper halogens behind the projector lens, but the light is a cooler white, and that lights up the road better for my tastes. Besides, the fog lights kick major rear-end. Easily 3-4x brighter than stock bulbs, and the high beams are lasers. I can easily see a half-mile ahead of me on a straight highway at night with them on. And since the hi-beams are the runner lights, I have actually seen them illuminate the reflective lettering on highway signs in broad daylight. Seriously an upgrade. Even if the low beam LEDs aren't exactly "brighter" than the halogen due to the lens, they will still last 2-3x longer at the minimum assuming you don't have a faulty unit. I have also put LASFITs in my fiance's 2012 Altima (both high and low beams; her original lights were so dim they were practically off) and the fog lights in my dad's 2018 Chevy Traverse. Both were considerable upgrades, especially the Traverse, which is crazy given it's a 2018. The LASFITs may be a bit more expensive than other competing LED brands on Amazon, but many people rave about them, myself included, and my experience with them leads me to conclude that there is a legitimate reason for that. They're good bulbs (and investments) that don't exactly break the bank. If you were going to spend $20-$30 on Halogens anyway, just spend the extra couple of bucks for LEDs. Besides better and cleaner light, they last longer, draw less power, and run cooler, like I said before. And let's be honest, cool-white LEDs look cool as heck and keep your car from looking like it's a decade old :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
It was a beautiful night tonight, so I took it upon myself to take some pictures showing how the bulbs on my car look at night.

Low beams only (no fogs):

Low beams with fogs:
(A bit hard to tell from inside since the fogs ride closer to the ground)

Low and high beams:

And some photos from outside, too.

Low beams and fogs:

Low and high beams:
(So bright, I couldn't even get a good picture of them)

And a little extra for your pleasure, full LED-conversion of the rear end :cool:(y):

Lights so bright, they make the camera on my s10+ look bad, lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
SoobTube
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing