Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the tray that came with the car when I drove her home from the dealership. I really didn't think about it much until I started noticing that the entire OEM cargo tray would would slide backwards, sometimes pressing up against the hatch door latch preventing the door from closing which happened once in a Costco parking lot and I didn't even realize it until I went back to the car and the freaking door was wide open! It's to the point where I have to check it every day and basically push the whole thing back so it sits flush. I have one heavy crate in the back with the usual emergency gear, and I've tied it down to the hooks with bungie chords because originally I though the car's forward momentum was pushing the crate, and thus the cargo tray, back. But I see now that's not the case. It's really not a big deal, but I feel like it shouldn't be so slippery.

I love things like cargo trays and I prefer to keep the OEM one, but I'll go aftermarket if it will stop the sliding. I've read older posts where some owners have had this problem, and they used soap and water to clean off the Armorall finish? Do any other Gen 6 owners have this issue with their cargo tray? What are some good solutions? What are some good aftermarket ones (if it comes to that)?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a carrier sitting on top of it I noticed is slipping back - I plan to put a couple small bungees to one of the cargo hooks

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
934 Posts
Mine slides all over too- never sprayed with armor all or anything like that, it just seems flimsy. Overall my 20 is leaps and bounds better than my 18 was, but the cargo tray on the gen 5 was far superior. I’ve toyed with getting an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,095 Posts
Could you not just put some Velcro hook on the underside of the tray?
Yes,. Heavy industrial Velcro hook strips will grab the carpet and help prevent sliding. I posted some pics and description of how I did mine near a year ago. ( Likely in the What I did with my gen 6 outback today
thread.) A search should turn it up. It's helped keep the tray in place much better.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,312 Posts
Could you not just put some Velcro hook on the underside of the tray?
That would definitely work. I have the plastic seat back protectors in my '15, and instead of using the hokey elastic loops over the headrests (which make dents in the leather) I bought a small pack of industrial Velcro at Home Depot. Cleaned plastic with alcohol and just used the hook part. Grabs the carpet great.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,095 Posts
That would definitely work. I have the plastic seat back protectors in my '15, and instead of using the hokey elastic loops over the headrests (which make dents in the leather) I bought a small pack of industrial Velcro at Home Depot. Cleaned plastic with alcohol and just used the hook part. Grabs the carpet great.
I also did the same with my seat back protectors as I read they were prone to warping/ lifting edges. FWIW, I also use velcro hook to hold down my trash can and seat pocket accessories. It DOES grab very well.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,312 Posts
Mine slides all over too- never sprayed with armor all or anything like that, it just seems flimsy.
In my old car, I tried to freshen up the interior appearance by Armor All-ing the rubber floor mats and cargo tray. Darn near killed my self getting into the car and groceries would go everywhere! Live n' learn.

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory, Falken WIldpeak A/T Trail, OEM Skid Plates etc
373 Posts
I took some of the anti-slip mat and cut under the small tote I keep back there and really has reduced the movement of it when loaded.
Something like this = LINK

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
934 Posts
In my old car, I tried to freshen up the interior appearance by Armor All-ing the rubber floor mats and cargo tray. Darn near killed my self getting into the car and groceries would go everywhere! Live n' learn.
Yup, simple green, a scrubber, and a power washer is all I need.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,761 Posts
These plastic things are probably coated with mold release agent when new - I've noticed that my cargo tray isn't as slippery as it was when new. Now I'll try taking it out and degreasing it to see if it leave it even less slippery.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,976 Posts
Don't put any treatment on the bottom; if you have then clean it off with IPA or other light solvent.

Then wire brush the bottom lightly, or use 60 grit sandpaper, to rough the surface a bit.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
153 Posts
Interesting, Not seen this with my 2020. One thing I have done is placed a Shipping Blanket back there that will cover the whole area when the seats are all down. It would be double thickness at this point. Part of the reason is that my Service Dog uses this to curl up on when he's riding along with me. It's much easier to pull that shipping blanket out and shake the hair off than to vacuum it all up. But even with the dog in and out, I've not seen the factory floor protector move around much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts