Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About how many miles are people getting on the OEM Continentals?

My previous 3 cars were all sport sedans where you were pushing to get much over 20K on a set of tires. I've got 25K on my OB and the tires look like they've got quite a bit of life in them as far as tread depth goes.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
42,000 and mine are bald as MR clean. By the time I hit 32,000 they were pretty much done regarding any type of proper winter or snow traction. I don't drive the OB hard given it handles terrible don't get me started on that LOL.

Replacing ours next week! YAY!!!! Getting these
BFGoodrich*Advantage T/A

Note that I found they did not hold balance very well. Nearly every 9000 miles or so they needed sizable amounts of weight change made which I've never see on other tires I've had over the years. The shop that does my tire stuff agreed that the tires did seem to require a large change in balance weights especially at 9000 miles.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
The first line of the product description reads: "The Advantage T/A is BFGoodrich's Grand Touring All-Season tire developed for the drivers of sporty touring coupes and sedans." Which one of those do you drive?:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The first line of the product description reads: "The Advantage T/A is BFGoodrich's Grand Touring All-Season tire developed for the drivers of sporty touring coupes and sedans." Which one of those do you drive?:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)
LOL - the OB is clearly neither but my brother has a set on his Matrix about a year old - the car as 230,000 miles on it and this is the first set of tires he has actually liked. The worst set he has ever had on it were a set of Perrelli's - horrible tires had some quality issues with them - they were stupid noisy in a car thats nearly a tin can to start with and didn't last beyond 30,000 miles. Also have noticed a few other friends have them on their cars and they all seem to be pretty happy with the tire so - thats what I'm running with this time. We'll see how it goes. However the stock Continentals are right up there with some of the worst wearing tires I've had in a very long time on any car. The lacking ability to hold balance was a major pain in the ass too.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium
99 Posts
The BFG's are good performing tires, but don't expect to get a lot of miles out of them. I put a set on my son's '00 Impala and barely got 25k miles despite taking very good care of them (pressure, alignment, rotation, etc.). They will probably ride a little rougher and have more highway noise than the Continentals.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The BFG's are good performing tires, but don't expect to get a lot of miles out of them. I put a set on my son's '00 Impala and barely got 25k miles despite taking very good care of them (pressure, alignment, rotation, etc.). They will probably ride a little rougher and have more highway noise than the Continentals.
My brother has 25K on his he drives a bunch for work I know how he drives and they seem to be doing just fine regarding wear.

Any time I hear someone say I put tires on my kids car and they are already worn out the tires seem to really wear out fast. LOL I laugh given I knew plenty of those kids growing up.

I've researched the tires enough to know they'll easily do more that 25K thanks Limp

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
My sister is at 34k on her 2011 and getting new tires next month. She is going to get the Michellin Defenders.

·
Registered
2011 Prem. 2.5i, 1999 Outback
258 Posts
My Subaru dealer just checked my tire wear @ 32,593 miles.

Tire tread on front = 7/32. Tire tread on rear = 8/32.

I will go to Defenders next, but not soon.

Note: These tires have never been balanced.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Ugh. They can't wear out quick enough! Those OEM Conti's are horrible tires...can't wait for them to be gone so I can replace them. :29:

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
It could be worse. I replaced the Dunflops on my 09 T4R at two weeks, after a 900 mile round trip to SoCal. Worst tires I have ever had (even counting some cheap recaps in the early '60s). Put Michelin Lattitudes on. Second round trip the following week was a night and day difference. I would not have guessed about the change.

Replacing ours next week! YAY!!!! Getting these
BFGoodrich*Advantage T/A
QUOTE]

Subie--keep us posted on the BFGs. I will be replacing my Contis sometime next year.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited; 2009 Forester Limited
74 Posts
My Subaru dealer just checked my tire wear @ 32,593 miles.

Tire tread on front = 7/32. Tire tread on rear = 8/32.

I will go to Defenders next, but not soon.

Note: These tires have never been balanced.
Please put this into context for those of us who are less familiar with tire measurements. What was the tread depth when new and what is the tread depth when the wear-indicators show that the tire needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited; 2009 Forester Limited
74 Posts
I did a google search and to answer part of my own question, Tire Rack says that:

2/32" Legal min tread depth
4/32" Recommended min for wet conditions
6/32" Recommended min for snowy conditions

Another web site showed that new tire tread depths for cars is typically in the 10/32 to 11/32" range.

So the remaining question, what is the new tire tread depth on the stock contis?

·
Registered
2011 Prem. 2.5i, 1999 Outback
258 Posts
10/32

So, my wear appears to be about 1/32 " per 10,000 miles. (Front tires now have 7/32" tread).
Using your information of 4/32 " min. tread for wet conditions, that would mean I could get about 60,000 miles out of these tires.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R. BBP w/ SAP
192 Posts
Another one of these threads? Short answer...some folks love em, some folks hate em. You'll have to decide for yourself. There has already been numerous threads about this and one specifically for the OEM tire VS the Michelin Defender. The general consensus is that if you are not driving on snow or ice on a regular basis, they are a good tire.

Obviously, they are an all season type tire so will not but super fantastic for ski trips to Aspen, nor will they be hubba bubba sticky for those days at the drag strip :rolleyes: They are made to provide good traction in most terrains, decent braking and a quiet, soft ride.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
47K miles now... around 6/32 thread wear...
The OEM tire are no different than they were at 0 miles....equally as BAD!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
951 Posts
First set lasted 22K miles. Second set has 25k miles currently and will most likely be changed next spring/summer.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
951 Posts
wow...you chew up tire like crazy.....
The alignment was out. This set is doing much better, but I still don't expect to get 40k miles out of them. I'm okay with that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts