Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my car about to break 80k, I was looking to do some general lovin'...

I found this package, SOA868V9340 on a few Subie part websites for around $16, MSRP somewhere around $25.

Not really sure how to use it. I'd consider getting the FI cleaner to just dump into the tank next time I do a road trip so it can burn off, any thoughts?

Not having a specific issue with the engine/performance, just was looking to be proactive to avoid any problems or degredation.

Perhaps I'd be better off with Techron or something?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
If the kit is just a bottle of FI cleaner then it's horribly overpriced. Probably exists only to let them say they have their own-branded stuff to make you feel better.

Techron is good stuff, but I don't even buy those bottles. I just buy their fuel from time to time, and that's been enough.

Resist the temptation to "over-mainain." It can easily cost more than ignorance + surprise repairs, and there's an entire industry dedicated to keeping it that way. There is a happy medium.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,480 Posts
that is 3 bottles of cleaners,...so maybe like the KY his and her group pack. ?

Reactions: Yoda_One

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,240 Posts
Very Funny YT! +1

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
To use the Subaru kit you need the $50 top end tool.

If the engine is running fine just add a bottle of Techron every 3-6 months.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To use the Subaru kit you need the $50 top end tool.

If the engine is running fine just add a bottle of Techron every 3-6 months.
I've heard when you use Techron you need to make sure you're going to be on the road for a few hours for the engine to get hot and stay hot to burn off the carbon. Sound accurate?

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
I've heard when you use Techron you need to make sure you're going to be on the road for a few hours for the engine to get hot and stay hot to burn off the carbon. Sound accurate?
I have never heard that. I rarely drive for a few hours at a time but rely on Techron to keep the engine clear of carbon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts