Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticing on the new models you can upgrade the map and some lights to LEDs for $99. Seems expensive unless they're some type of special bulb.

Anyone have any information on this? The official Subaru site doesn't say much.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,913 Posts
I have no knowledge but I will venture an educated assessment that the bulbs are nothing special and that you can pick up similar, if not identical, from your local auto parts store.

My thought is that Subie does not use any unusual or special to them bulbs that aren't from Sylvania or Phillips. I've replaced nearly all of my interior lights with LEDs and the brands were Sylvania, iirc.

In my replacement LEDs I have a mix of Sylvania and Diode Dynamics depending on warmth and total lumens. The vanity lights are dual LED warm white from DD (great application btw) and the map are Sylvania from Pep Boys. I posted a thread on it a year or so ago in case your interested.

Much more fun to pick what you need than have SOA do it for you. Just make sure you buy plastic trim tools and don't use a screwdriver. It will likely leave marks or crack housings and that will be no bueno.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,475 Posts
There's a whole thread about electromagnetic interference from random LED dome lights causing difficulty with remote door locks, so I'm going to start with a guess that they're using units which don't cause that problem.

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 VDC
60 Posts
Assuming your vehicle is 2011 Outback I looked up what bulb types you have using Philips Bulb Look-up | 2011 SUBARU Outback

For example the map light is DE3175, which is a festoon style. You can take that and go to local parts store or go to ebay (my personal favorite) and buy them in bulk and replace/upgrade all of your lights to LED (if they aren't already) for less than $40, depending on where you buy them from.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts