Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 LTD with Nav & Sunroof Pkg's
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I damaged the screen on my 13 OB OEM nav/head unit. Subaru wants to send it back to the manufacturer who wants $1200 to attempt to repair it, not sure if they can.

I wanted to know if anyone else has had a screen repaired and where?

Thanks,

Craig

·
Registered
08 OB 3.0R Ltd
62 Posts
Same thing happened to my 2008 Nav screen. It have a 1.7 inches star crack on the middle right of the screen. The nav system work well, except behind the crack the touch screen work bad. My Subaru dealer tell me that it's possible to repair it or have a refurbish one for 600$ to 800$. This price does not include taxes and installation labor. They don't tell me which company do that for them. For a new head unit it cost more than 1000$.

I check with Keenwood and my model is discontinued. Some new models can fit easily but it's pricey too and I have to change the dash board cover. I find many models on E-Bay (or retailer sites) less pricey but It's not the same model with the same functions so hello fitting and connectivity problems. I don't find used ones.

The best alternative I've found is buy a good regular 7'' GPS at 300$-500$ (with free maps updates) and put it on the front of the other. But by doing this we lost others on board system applications.

So overall I just keep it like that. My crack is barely noticeable and don't affect my day to day use.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
You can always check eBay for a replacement head unit. When they say repair for $1200 they mean sell you a new one.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
I think someone else had the same problem and sourced a replacement screen. Its not the easiest thing to tackle but with some patience and the proper tools it's do able. I can't remember the replacement cost but I would look into the aftermarket for a replacement at a much lower cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2010 Outback, cracked touchscreen replacement

Checked all of the various replacement options and found it too costly/wasteful to replace the entire nav/DVD system. Not wanting to give up I removed the DVD head unit. Do not be scared by this. I used 1 small flat screw driver to gently pry the decorative trim, and then a Phillips screw driver to remove the fasteners that secure the head unit frame work. 5 minutes total to remove the entire unit and then 10 minutes to remove the broken touchscreen. Once removed I used the Kenwood part/model numbers to cross reference a new screen. Total cost with shipping was $190.00, EBay distributor in the UK. Unit arrived a week later installed it, all is right with my Subaru again. I'm not pro; just cheap. I've never done this before and it was quite easy and very fun to do. Good luck.

·
Registered
2008, LL Bean Wagon. 3.0L, NAV
23 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2008 screen is the same as the 2010? My 08 NAV screen is bad and TFDOutback's repair sounds like the best way to go.
Rich

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Any hi-end audio store can replace it; they can get replacement parts from Fujitsu Ten in Torrance, Calif.
If you call them directly, they will refer you to the dealer as they don't deal with public!
You can also try eBay in Japan....

·
Registered
2008, LL Bean Wagon. 3.0L, NAV
23 Posts
Hi All,
Forgot to post the fix for my issue. Bought a used screen from a "junk yard" for $65 plus $30 shipping. Look at car-part.com for places that have it and then contact them directly. Very easy to change the unit and it was a cheap fix at only $95 total. Screen has been working great but it is used and we will see how long it last.
Thanks
Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts