Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone cut open the Subaru OEM oil filter to check it's innards? Like they do on YouTube with other brands.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,252 Posts
The blue can is made by Fram and the equivalent in the Fram line is the orange can but with a higher bypass setting.

Its not a bad filter and it meets the price point but there are better filtering filters.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
229 Posts
The blue can is made by Fram and the equivalent in the Fram line is the orange can but with a higher bypass setting.

Its not a bad filter and it meets the price point but there are better filtering filters.
Gross, I was planning on getting OE filters but I guess I'll go aftermarket for non cardboard inner bits

I like Purolator and Wix for the price point. They also have nice reviews for their inner material quality.

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
Some years ago I took apart a number of filters of different brands that were used on Subarus. It was for contributions to this thread. There's a summary at post #47, but my posts and other findings are scattered throughout the thread. Only the Subaru filter had the 23 psi bypass valve, although WIX subsequently came out with a filter having a 23 psi bypass spec. There might be more choices now.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,419 Posts
Only the Subaru filter had the 23 psi bypass valve, although WIX subsequently came out with a filter having a 23 psi bypass spec. There might be more choices now.
The last I checked, OE Subaru and WIX filters are still the only two available with the 23 psi bypass valve.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
The last I checked, OE Subaru and WIX filters are still the only two available with the 23 psi bypass valve.

What's the WIX part number? They list 57055 as the appropriate filter for the 2018 Outback on their website, but that filter explicitly lists the bypass psi at 27.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
229 Posts
Also did a little digging and Pureoil does make a filter that meets the 23 PSI spec from Subaru, or at least that's what they advertise. Forgive me, as I come from the V8 world, and Fram is a very dirty world when it comes to hi-po engines. I've read too many horror stories to trust cardboard filters lol. Anywho, here is a screencap from Pureoil's website. It is more expensive but I've used Purolator on my cars with zero problems for years and I like that it has proper metal innards. I briefly tried Microguard on my Nissan and didn't care for the fact that my oil light stayed on for what felt like a couple seconds after start up every cold morning whereas my oil light never stays on after start up on cold mornings with Purolator filters. The only difference was the filter, I always put Castrol GTX in the car, so for me the proof was in the pudding on that little experiment.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,252 Posts
What's the benefit of a 23 psi bypass valve

There is none with a high flowing filter and that means one with either syn or semi syn filtering material. It's all about the pressure differential and if you understand that then you understand that the 23 lbs is not a figure that matters in a high flowing filter.

In another post you mentioned metal innards. The Fram Ultra meets your requirement and is better than 99% efficiency at up to 20k miles. The Mobil1 filter is the same.

If you write off Fram in any variety or flavor you have written yourself out of the game. I have 5 UOAs with that filter done through Blackstone and the results don't show filter inefficiency. Very good good results and the last one from two weeks ago revealed a "perfect" report. M1 5/30 and Fram Ultra 9688 for 6k miles with their recommendation to go to at least 8k.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
229 Posts
There is none with a high flowing filter and that means one with either syn or semi syn filtering material. It's all about the pressure differential and if you understand that then you understand that the 23 lbs is not a figure that matters in a high flowing filter.

In another post you mentioned metal innards. The Fram Ultra meets your requirement and is better than 99% efficiency at up to 20k miles. The Mobil1 filter is the same.

If you write off Fram in any variety or flavor you have written yourself out of the game. I have 5 UOAs with that filter done through Blackstone and the results don't show filter inefficiency. Very good good results and the last one from two weeks ago revealed a "perfect" report. M1 5/30 and Fram Ultra 9688 for 6k miles with their recommendation to go to at least 8k.
I'm sure there is a reason Subaru went to FRAM, I'm sure it filters oil fine, but my issue is the weak internals that been recorded as failing prematurely all over the internet. A lot of these examples are of higher horsepower applications, and I'm sure it'll be fine for our sub 200 HP cars.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
[WIX lists] 57055 as the appropriate filter for the 2018 Outback on their website, but that filter explicitly lists the bypass psi at 27.
That's the correct filter for the FB25 engine.

What's the benefit of a 23 psi bypass valve
Short answer: That's what the Subaru high-volume oiling system is designed for.

Longer answer: Current Subaru engines employ a high-volume, low-pressure lubrication system design. (Published rating for the 2.5 at 6000 rpm is 14.5 gallons per minute at 48 psi.) The variable valve timing system alone flows a lot of oil. A higher than normal bypass valve pressure setpoint helps to ensure that oil will continue to flow through the filter when the oil is cold and/or at high engine rpm.

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,537 Posts
Also did a little digging and Pureoil does make a filter that meets the 23 PSI spec from Subaru, or at least that's what they advertise. Forgive me, as I come from the V8 world, and Fram is a very dirty world when it comes to hi-po engines. I've read too many horror stories to trust cardboard filters lol. Anywho, here is a screencap from Pureoil's website. It is more expensive but I've used Purolator on my cars with zero problems for years and I like that it has proper metal innards. I briefly tried Microguard on my Nissan and didn't care for the fact that my oil light stayed on for what felt like a couple seconds after start up every cold morning whereas my oil light never stays on after start up on cold mornings with Purolator filters. The only difference was the filter, I always put Castrol GTX in the car, so for me the proof was in the pudding on that little experiment.

Last time I checked, the Purolator L14615 is not available. From what I've gathered in my research, it has never been offered. It's as though Purolator created specifications for it, placed them on their website, but never completed the process of actually building any and selling them.

You may want to think twice, or even three times, before recommending a Purolator filter on the bobistheoilguy.com (aka bitog) website. BITOG is a discussion board dedicated to automotive lubrication. It has several members that work in the lubrication and filtration industries, and are very knowledgeable. Except for a few dedicated loyal Purolator customers, everyone over there on BITOG have totally sworn off Purolator filters due to serious filter media failures with Purolator filters.

A few years ago several bitog members started reporting filter media tears in Purolator filters. It became so prolific that reports of tears in Purlator filters were practically coming in weekly. The pictures all showed the same type of failure. A tear in filter media running in the direction of the folds, large enough so the filter was effectively in bypass mode permanently.

Several members reported the issue on Purolator's website. And all reports had one thing in common. Purolator responded to NONE of them. Not a single reply. Total silence. You could hear the crickets. No recall. No public announcement to not use particular production lots. No offer for a free filter replacement. Nothing.

What's ironic about the whole situation is that while so many like you still believe that Purolator makes great filters, and at the same time vilify Fram filters. Fram has made such fantastic improvements in their quality. In fact the Fram Ultra has proven to be one of the best filters on the market.

But that's just how it goes in the consumer marketplace. Perception is everything, regardless of reality.

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,537 Posts

That's where the truth is found. In UOA reports that show Fram filters to perform very well.

It is always interesting that so many OEM filters are based upon the same fiber end cap filter design that Fram uses. Yet we totally respect these OEM filters. Toyota uses fiber end caps on some filters. So does Nissan. Of course we know that Subaru does. And get this. So does Bentley. That's right. Bentley, manufacturer of some of the most expensive cars in the world, and they use fiber end caps on their filters.

Perception.

Sorry for getting off track. The Wix 57055 is also available at you local NAPA store. Same filter. Different paint job. It's part number is FIL 7055. If you aren't too concerned about the 23 psi bypass valve, the Mobil 1 is a great filter. And of course the Fram Ultra XG73137. From most reviews I've seen, a very slight nod to the Fram Ultra being slightly superior to the Mobil 1. But your engine would never know the difference. get whichever is most available or on sale.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
That's the correct filter for the FB25 engine.

I think I'm confused... you just stated the WIX filters are available with the 23 psi bypass valve. Can you point me at them? Wix 57055 appears to be 27 psi, not 23 - what's the part number for the 23?

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I think I'm confused... you just stated the WIX filters are available with the 23 psi bypass valve.
I meant approximately 23 psi, as opposed to the 10-12 psi bypass valves commonly found in most engine oil filters. The difference between 23 psi and 27 psi ratings (at possibly different flow rates) is not likely to be significant.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Last time I checked, the Purolator L14615 is not available. From what I've gathered in my research, it has never been offered. It's as though Purolator created specifications for it, placed them on their website, but never completed the process of actually building any and selling them.

..…..

But that's just how it goes in the consumer marketplace. Perception is everything, regardless of reality.
Purolator 14615 is widely available and I have a few spares, and used it (PBL14615) for the first oil change on our 17 OB at ~1K miles. The Purolator 14610 is a similarly spec'd filter, but a bit taller; I have a few of these (PBL14610) as well and am presently using this in our OB. Separately, I also love Fram Ultra's and have a few 7317's on hand; have also used Pennzoil HPZ-37 and Bosch Distance Plus filters on our 08 OBS in the past (presently using Fram Ultra or Purolator PBL14615). In summary, Purolators are also getting a bad rap due to baggage left over. I replaced the blue original filter due to seat of the pants suspected poor anti drain back valve concerns because of engine rattle sounds during start-up. Yes, perception is everything.....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts