Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am new on this great place, thank you! I am French and I have been living in NY for 10 years.

My question/problem:
I have an Outback Premium 2020, and I just bought a bike rack for 4 bikes: 1up + 2 add ons (4 bikes)
So now, I have to buy/install a hitch, and I actually hesitate between 3 options:
1. OEM Hitch Subaru 2"+ Subaru Dealer Install: quoted at $990 in Brooklyn/NY
2. OEM Hitch 2"+ Install from another place (not Subaru): $350 (Hitch) + $200 for Install
3. Curt Hitch 13437 2"+ Install from another place (not Subaru): $160 (via Amazon) + $150 Install

It will be only for the bike rack.
The maximum weight will be approximatively 214 lb: 82 lb for the bike rack + 132 lb (4 bikes).
I am aware that the max tongue weight is 270 lb on this model.

Which solution (1, 2, 3) do you recommend following my need and your experience please?

Thanks a lot!

Frederic.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
521 Posts
U-Haul does hitches as well. If feasible, do a 2" as they are beefier. Also give a look at YouTube, lots of videos on do-it-yourself, which is usually not too difficult.

·
Registered
11 Outback 3.6R
7 Posts
When I bought my 11 OB and did the install at the dealer they didn't have a 2" option. Knowing my use, I'd absolutely go the Curt or uhaul route and get a 2" instead. DIY isn't that bad either since I've seen some absolute butcher jobs from the dealer on the bumper cutout for the hitch.

Looking at your needs for 4 bikes, you will absolutely need to go the 2" route as that is the only option for a rack that will support 4 bikes.

·
Registered
2021 Magnetite Grey Outback Touring XT
152 Posts
I'm actually going to buy the Curt + wiring harness combo on Amazon. Its under "Curt 13437 56040 Class 3 Trailer Hitch 2-Inch Receiver with 4-Way Flat Custom Wiring Harness Bundle"Seems cheaper than buying them separately. I want the wiring harness because I might need it someday and its cheaper to get the bundle and just have the harness in my spare tire area.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited 2013 Crosstrek (traded) 2020 Outback premium pkg11
231 Posts
Just ordered the curt with wire kit from Amazon yesterday for $188 (i think) will install myself. excellent thread here for the install.

·
Registered
25 Posts
1. OEM Hitch Subaru 2"+ Subaru Dealer Install: quoted at $990 in Brooklyn/NY
And I thought a quote of $750 in New Jersey was outrageous. $990!? :eek:

I will probably have a dealer install the OEM one eventually since I like that it sits higher than the aftermarket ones.

Reactions: Frederic

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited 2.5
137 Posts
If you have some metric wrenches and a pair of tin snips, the Curt is really easy to install yourself. It took me about an hour to do in my driveway. Etrailer has some great install videos that take you through the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought the Torkhitch Ecohitch and am really happy with it. I got it professionally installed because I was wary of removing the bumper and cutting into it (2014 Outback), but in retrospect, I could have done it if I had taken my time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts