Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
I love them; picked them up off ebay, and I didn't even do the drill method. Simply bought a ton of industrial-grade velcro stripping and velcro'd the heck out of them. Perfect for keeping the dog hair off the seatbacks, perfect for keeping everything else off of them, etc.

There's really nothing you can mess up, and they save a ton of mess!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I got mine pre-installed, and glad I did. I use my OB with the rear seats down and stuff on them often enough that having at least something to take most of the punishment I dish out is a good thing. Plus it makes cleaning a little easier.

·
Banned
238 Posts
I've got them separately from my car purchase for about $48.
Installed them without drilling anchor holes in the rear seat back, using only industrial velcro strips sold in Home Depot. So far it works splendidly. Easy to remove and easy to clean. If you're concerned about longer than your rear seat back items, consider purchasing movers' blanket also sold in HD. It folds and fits nicely in the cavity under the cargo floor.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bought this and some cargo nets with my Subaru Bucks from subarugenuineparts.com. Very happy with how easily it installed and with the look. If you do use the screw type anchors included, follow the advice of others on this forum and use a 1/8 drill instead of an awl. Very easy to make the hole too big. Other than that, a simple install.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies all. I'll order a set when I get my window deflectors.

If you do use the screw type anchors included, follow the advice of others on this forum and use a 1/8 drill instead of an awl. Very easy to make the hole too big. Other than that, a simple install.
I will probably go that route, thanks for the tip. :29:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The only complaint that I have heard is that the top of the plastic screws can be easily broken/chipped if you slide boxes over them and are not attentive. I have them on my '12 Impreza Sport and like them. I also ordered them on the '13 OB SAP that should be arriving in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had them pre-installed when I purchased the car. They didn't do a good job though. It bulges when the seats are up. I'm thinking about going the velcro route.

·
Registered
11 Posts
...For $46 what could go wrong, right? :p
Greetings,
Well, in my case, I ordered them direct from the factory on my original vehicle order and the one on the passenger side arrived either incorrectly installed or deformed as it didn't sit flush against the seat back.
The dealer is currently installing a new one under warranty. Go figure.
YMMV,
b.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I had them pre-installed when I purchased the car. They didn't do a good job though. It bulges when the seats are up. I'm thinking about going the velcro route.
Perhaps they were installed too low on the seat back? The instructions can be seen in my RSBP thread linked in the previous post. If there's too much material left at the bottom I can see it bunching up where it's supposed to crease.

Another thing you can try is to "train" the RSBP to fold with the seat as opposed to bunching up. Pull the bottom of the RSBP when the seats are down so that it is taut. Then as you put the seats back up, stick your hand in the crease to help it along. Maybe after a few times it will just crease that way naturally. Maybe a little hot weather might help too to loosen up the material. I installed mine following the instructions as to how to position the RSBP. It never bulges out when I put the seats back up, and I didnt even add any extra Velcro.

·
Registered
80 Posts
One of my seat protectors does this too and I wasn't in the mood to wait around for the dealership to fix it when I bought the car. I'll have them address it whenever I get around to it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
One of my seat protectors does this too and I wasn't in the mood to wait around for the dealership to fix it when I bought the car. I'll have them address it whenever I get around to it.
Mine does it as well. I think its common, a little cheesy for a factory option.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mine does it as well. I think its common, a little cheesy for a factory option.
It's such a simple install too...for that of all things to be messed up from the factory is silly. The one protector that's correctly installed looks real nice tho :D Happens to be the driver side rear seat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did the install myself and they did this as well. I moved them up about 1.5" and it fixed the issue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I did the install myself and they did this as well. I moved them up about 1.5" and it fixed the issue.
Was it an easy fix?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I installed mine myself. Was a simple install. I initially just used the screws that came with the seat protector. My initial install - I had the protector too high on the back of the seat & so the screw actually hit something in the back of the seat & would not go in. I lowered the protector a about 1/2 an inch & had no problems. Then I also took the advice from the forum and put velcro on the back. They look great & I have no slippage. I did break the top of one screw off while loading the Outback for a trip when I tried sliding a very heavy box across the back. The round plastic housing cracked off, but I guess the velco held everything in place as I've had no slippage or sagging occur.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We had the dealer install these before we picked it up and have had no issues to date. They fit nice with no bulges. Maybe they will bulge in time, but I will cross that bridge if it happens. Of course, I have not loaded and heavy items on them yet...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
17 Participants
exposuresltd
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing