Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for this info for a while and can't find much, so thought I'd ask here. I'm looking for the OEM spring rates for my car (16 3.6R Ltd). Does anybody have this info? Link to an existing post with the info is fine, my searches are coming up blank.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Ive looked off and on for yrs there isnt any data out there. The rears on the 3.6 are no different than the 2.5.
Im talking to RalliTEK about stock height rear struts with their slightly higher load springs. My car is typically loaded so the roughly 180lb bump in the combined load rating between the two struts looks interesting.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,520 Posts
Why not just directly measure it by placing a known mass in the car over only the back or front wheels, and measuring displacement at the fender wells? Pretty simple to do. Remember to divide by two as you'll be compressing both sides.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,302 Posts
Ive looked off and on for yrs there isnt any data out there. The rears on the 3.6 are no different than the 2.5.
Im talking to RalliTEK about stock height rear struts with their slightly higher load springs. My car is typically loaded so the roughly 180lb bump in the combined load rating between the two struts looks interesting.
Is Rallitek developing struts damper now? Or did I misunderstand the above?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I'm just looking at the RS-R and Prova lowering springs and trying to make a decision on which might offer the better ride quality, that would closest match my fiance's 2017 Legacy. I can't seem to find the factory rates for either car. The RS-R has slightly lower spring rates, but the Prova has a BS-specific part number and the front coils are progressive as opposed to the linear RS-R's.

The Legacy feels like a go-kart compared to my Outback. The Outback is leaps and bounds ahead of the Ford Edge I got rid of in every respect, I'd just like to get the ride and handling a little closer to the lower/lighter Legacy to make it perfect. I live in Winnipeg, anybody that says they need 9" of ground clearance to drive to work in a blizzard just can't drive. But I don't have $80k to spend on a real wagon, so I'll build one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have both. A big part of the legacy is simply being a stiffer sedan body. The wagon has always been flexy and obviously not as sharp handling as a result.
Subaru wagons have always had the ability to dance with the best of their sedan counterparts. Unfortunately with the death of the real wagons a few years ago, it takes more work now.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Subaru wagons have always had the ability to dance with the best of their sedan counterparts. Unfortunately with the death of the real wagons a few years ago, it takes more work now.
Not even close. As a former owner of a Legacy GT Limited non turbo Sedan which had a near Identical wagon version the sedan was stiffer and still better in the twisties. The wagon guys added shock tower braces to try and clean up the wagon flex but they still were not as good. The GT wagons vs other cars were OK but not as nice as the Sedan body in this regard.

I have a 2010 Legacy and a 2010 OB even though the 15’s and newer got sizable stiffening the gap between the OB wagon flex vs the Legacy sedan stiffness is quite big. If you want to drop fairly major money trying to sport up the OB I’d just sell it and find a used Audi wagon or BMW wagon.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium-20mm rear sway bar, recessed Sprinter roof rails
142 Posts
Spring rates won't be applicable for a few months though... what about winter rates?

What do you mean by "the death of the real wagons"?
My last "real wagon" was a 57 Nomad. that was decades ago. I miss that ride.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,302 Posts
I can't buy a real Subaru wagon anymore. Only the lifted SUV-ish variety.
But you can fix that...I hear you tho. I long for a AWD sportwagon. Subaru made one of the very best ever in the 2005-2009 LGT Wagon. I have not been able to find one, only OBXTs. But you have to lower them, and lock down the chassis.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,302 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium-20mm rear sway bar, recessed Sprinter roof rails
142 Posts
traildog;

You forgot the mid 60's Olds Vista Cruiser...My all time favorite, lol'
guys were slammin in 401 buick motors and installing truck springs in the front end, I have no idea what the spring rates were, keeping somewhat on topic..

Reactions: traildogck
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.