Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5 XT Limited
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,

For those of you that have a 2020 Outback XT (with the 225/60 R18 Yokohama Avid GT OEM tires), I'm just wondering how they are holding up for you? Is the ride comfortable, quiet? Are they wearing well / evenly? If you are driving in locations that have moderate winter weather, i.e. occasional snow and, if so, are you getting decent traction? I'm asking because I just factory ordered a new XT limited, now live in Loveland, Colorado, where we get periodic snow that may last for only a day or two on the roads, but usually, it is sunny and dry most winter days.

Looking forward to your replies.

Mike

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XT 5MT PSM /2020 Outback Onyx XT AGM
129 Posts
I had my first experience in snow on an untreated road last Saturday and it wasn’t fun.

I’m coming from an ‘04 manual FXT and ran Nokian WRG3’s and then Michelin X-Ice’s for the past 10 years or so.

Speed limit was 35 and snow was coming down at a steady clip, but not heavy by any means. There was only a dusting at this point and temps were 28/29F.

I was following a Pickup in the left lane and decided to switch to the right lane for an upcoming red light and there were no cars in the right lane at the light (thankfully). I was coming in a little hot because I think I’m just used to snow tires. I hit the brakes too hard and the wheels locked up and I kept going through the intersection. Thankfully there were no cars coming and I also did manage to turn right and not go completely through the intersection. Hopefully I wasn’t captured on a dashcam. :D

There’s also a road on my daily commute that’s on a curvy uphill and the back end gets squirrely when there’s ice there. I would rate them below a good all season in snow. The Avid Ascend GT’s on my daughter’s ‘15 Legacy are much better in snow.

An all weather or A/T with the 3PMSF should perform a bit better than the OEM tires. My plan is to eventually go that route here in Central NJ. Until then I’ll just be white knuckling it and driving very slow.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5 XT Limited
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had my first experience in snow on an untreated road last Saturday and it wasn’t fun.

I’m coming from an ‘04 manual FXT and ran Nokian WRG3’s and then Michelin X-Ice’s for the past 10 years or so.

Speed limit was 35 and snow was coming down at a steady clip, but not heavy by any means. There was only a dusting at this point and temps were 28/29F.

I was following a Pickup in the left lane and decided to switch to the right lane for an upcoming red light and there were no cars in the right lane at the light (thankfully). I was coming in a little hot because I think I’m just used to snow tires. I hit the brakes too hard and the wheels locked up and I kept going through the intersection. Thankfully there were no cars coming and I also did manage to turn right and not go completely through the intersection. Hopefully I wasn’t captured on a dashcam. :D

There’s also a road on my daily commute that’s on a curvy uphill and the back end gets squirrely when there’s ice there. I would rate them below a good all season in snow. The Avid Ascend GT’s on my daughter’s ‘15 Legacy are much better in snow.

An all weather or A/T with the 3PMSF should perform a bit better than the OEM tires. My plan is to eventually go that route here in Central NJ. Until then I’ll just be white knuckling it and driving very slow.
Thanks for the feedback. Good thing the intersection wasn't jammed up! Not looking forward to those tires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts