Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5 Wilderness Green
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My personal experience with the OEM Conti's was favorable. They were reasonably quiet and handled decently in snow and wet conditions and cornered well too. I had 32,000 miles on them and was not at the wear bars yet. I probably could have gotten 35,000 safely. I had one repairable flat in that time and never had to have the tires balanced. I rotated every 7,500 miles. My 2011 2.5 Limited had the complete shake TSB performed before I took delivery, including the road force balancing. Dealer proactively did this. The tires wore perfectly evenly and I did quite a bit of 70 mph + driving. My only complaint with the OEM tires was their affinity to collect stones. They were like stone magnets.

Replacement tires are Michelin Defenders with $70 discount on the set from Costco. Only a few hundred miles on these, but so far they are quiet, handle well and don't seem to collect stones. I got to try them out in the snow last week and had no problems.

I am only reporting MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND OPINIONS, your perceptions might be quite different.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
Thank you, sir. Useful, hype-free information.

Looby

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
My OEMs have 36k, and will make it to 40-45k before they run to the wear bars (Or we get into monsoon season, whichever comes first). The defenders from Costco are the current front runners for me, as well.

My experience with the original tires is much the same as the OPs. The tires that just came off the rear at 35k, after being there for 10k, are slightly more worn on the outside shoulders, but otherwise, dead even wear, no balance problems, and all are still round.

Simple question for the OP.......I looked last week, and Costco didn't have the $70 off deal going with Michelins. Is it back on, or did you buy them some time ago?

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
Defender XTs

The Michelin Costco deal went off on March 3rd. I ordered the Defender XTs on the third to get the deal. The deal will be back in a month or two.

The Defenders ride smooth at low speeds and I have noticed a 2 MPG hit around town compared to the Contis I pulled off at 40k. I have not been on any open road runs in the last month over a few miles, so I cannot attest to the highway MPG hit.

The Defenders are 753 revs per mile and 26 lbs each vs the ContiPros which are 755 Revs per mile and 24 lbs each.

Happy with the ride at slow speeds around town, not so much about the MPG.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5 Wilderness Green
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered the tires over the internet and had them shipped to Costco while the sale was on. Costco tends to have a sale on different brands every couple of months so you should keep looking for these to come back on sale if you want them. Costco also gave me a sticker showing inflation to be 34 front and 33 rear for these tires. When I asked why that differed from the door placard, I was told these tires don't carry the "P" (passenger) or p-metric designation and are euro-metric spec tires, so they recommend 2 psi increase in pressure from door placard to adjust for difference in load rating between US and Euro spec. (Still doesn't account for 33 rear, but close enough).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just picked up a set from Discount Tire for $500. My contis probably have a good 1000 left on them, so they'll be going on in a month or so.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Seems that Subaru is using a different Continental tire on the 13's so just FYI. My 2010 and a couple of friends with 2010's all had tire issues and had them replaced by 40K. Two of us went with BFG Touring tires and so far are very happy with them huge improvement over the old wobbly can't hold balanced Continentals.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
Replaced mine with Bridgestone Alenza's at about 20k and they seem as quiet as the Contis but I did notice a little sharper turn in

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
Replaced mine with Bridgestone Alenza's at about 20k and they seem as quiet as the Contis but I did notice a little sharper turn in
Are those the Alenza Dueler HL or HP? What is the weight and have you noticed a hit in mpg?

·
Registered
2018 OB Touring 2.5i
10 Posts
My experience is similar to the OP's. Our Outback (wife's car) is a 2011 2.5i Limited, with the rear stabilizer bar upgrade (19mm). We got 47K out of the OEM Conti's, through Mid-Atlantic weather which, admittedly, hasn't been drastic winter weather since we bought the car. The Conti's served us well, maintained balance, were quiet, very satisfied with them. I looked at Conti replacements, but ultimately decided on the Michelin Defender. Now have 5K on them and could not be more pleased. They are as quiet or better, provide additional stability and a sense of confidence. Not much winter to test them this past season, but we could not be happier with this set of tires. I have had similar good experiences with Michelin's. Yep, you will pay a bit more for the Mich's, but they are worth the $$ IMHO. Drawbacks? None, other than they are not nearly as fast as the Hoosiers I race on! (No, not in the Outback!) :)

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Nav - Azurite Blue
152 Posts
Anyone else can attest to a reduction in MPG with the Michelin Defenders? I am thinking of getting a set soon. I have 50800 miles and still on the stock Contis. The dealer measured 5/32s still on them too. Crazy.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited Pearl White SAP
63 Posts
Seems that Subaru is using a different Continental tire on the 13's so just FYI. My 2010 and a couple of friends with 2010's all had tire issues and had them replaced by 40K. Two of us went with BFG Touring tires and so far are very happy with them huge improvement over the old wobbly can't hold balanced Continentals.
I was wondering about this. I have 500 miles on the 2013 and I can say that I dont hate the tires. Maybe it is that I remember the Gen 3 OEM Bridgestones on my 06 3.0R all to well but I like what I hear and feel on the 2013 Conti's so far. I also think it has to do with the car we just traded in. A 2010 Mazda3 on Eagle GT's. Loud. Loud. Loud.

This weekend is a road trip to Seattle so perhaps the real personality will shine good or bad.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
Are those the Alenza Dueler HL or HP? What is the weight and have you noticed a hit in mpg?
Sorry for the late response- HL's and I don't have the weight and I also do not keep stats on MPG but if I had to guess I would say yes to the mpg hit

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
With regard to mpg and tires, testing by the Tire Rack and Consumers Report show relatively little differences among tires. Other things like driving style, tire care, and car care are much more influential on MPG. That being said, buying low rolling resistance tires does slightly improve mpg, so it makes sense as a final decision point, assuming you are happy with all other aspects of a tire. I've found the Defenders to be delivering excellent mpg over the last 7000 miles with my '13 3.6R and I'm very happy with the overall 23 mpg (improving as the miles increase). I never gave the stock Contis a chance, after i had trouble with the shakes in my '11 2.5, so I can't report on differences between the 2 brands. The Tire Rack doesn't have mpg data for the Defender, but Consumers Reports found them to be low rolling resistance for good fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
My OEMs have 36k, and will make it to 40-45k before they run to the wear bars (Or we get into monsoon season, whichever comes first). The defenders from Costco are the current front runners for me, as well.

My experience with the original tires is much the same as the OPs. The tires that just came off the rear at 35k, after being there for 10k, are slightly more worn on the outside shoulders, but otherwise, dead even wear, no balance problems, and all are still round.

Simple question for the OP.......I looked last week, and Costco didn't have the $70 off deal going with Michelins. Is it back on, or did you buy them some time ago?
The Costco deal started again yesterday, and my wife called me to tell me that the tire pressure warning light had come on. She was 30+ miles away, so I told her to look at the tires, and see if she could see which one was low. She said they were all fine. I told her that the car had a tire pressure gauge in the door, but she dismissed the need to check them.

When she got home, I could see immediately that the front left was the culprit, and it turned out to be 10lbs lower than I keep them.

I saw no point in repairing the low tire, when they have 5k safe miles left at best. I went and bought the Defenders from Costco this morning, 38,167 miles on the originals. All good so far. I will be tracking fuel mileage to see if there is any difference from the OEMs. So far, they are quieter and ride better. We shall see.....

·
Registered
181 Posts
My 2011 is at 38K and there is still some considerable tread tread left in the stock Contis. One thing I really hate about the stock Contis is they are a rock and nail magnet. I've had to get the wheels patched 3 times already. I've driven a lot of cars in my lifetime and none has had this problem.

I can't wait to dump these tires.

What size tires are people going with for the Michelin Defenders? This is my top choice for when I do get new tires.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
I've driven a lot of cars in my lifetime and none has had this problem.
So far so good on the OE Contis @ 16k mile. I've also worn out lots of
tires in two million+ miles, and have had (occasional) major problems
with some of the biggest names in the business -- Goodyear, Dunlop,
BFG, Bridgestone.

...no matter what you buy, it's a crap shoot,

Looby

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The Costco deal started again yesterday, and my wife called me to tell me that the tire pressure warning light had come on. She was 30+ miles away, so I told her to look at the tires, and see if she could see which one was low. She said they were all fine. I told her that the car had a tire pressure gauge in the door, but she dismissed the need to check them.

When she got home, I could see immediately that the front left was the culprit, and it turned out to be 10lbs lower than I keep them.

I saw no point in repairing the low tire, when they have 5k safe miles left at best. I went and bought the Defenders from Costco this morning, 38,167 miles on the originals. All good so far. I will be tracking fuel mileage to see if there is any difference from the OEMs. So far, they are quieter and ride better. We shall see.....
I have a few hundred miles on the Defenders now (Stock size, for the question from Bruce_Van). They are substantially quieter, ride nicer, and have more on center feel. The car still resists returning to center, but it is easier to hold a line. So far, the fuel mileage seems about the same, but it will take a while to get real numbers on that. Overall, I had no complaints about the Contis, but I like the new Defenders better.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
449 Posts
My OEM Conti's were doing well at around 27K IIRC when my wife nailed a curb. For reasons we won't get into here, I wound up miles from home forced to replace all 4. I bought a Goodyear from Sears (Car's not here to see the model) and have no complaints about them..

A sidebar to the Costco purchases. A know a guy who had a set of tires on a vehicle that he had bought from Costco, Michelin I think. He had an issue while miles from home on a vacation trip. took the vehicle to the local Michelin guy and they couldn't ID the tires. Turned out they were MADE FOR Costco by Michelin. What I DON'T recall was whether or not the dealer was able to help him with a warranty claim. I know that in my business, we run into an OEM situation (not tires) and the customer is forced to return to the original supplier. We cannot honor a warranty, even though we represent that manufacturer. The sales agreement puts the onus of warranty claims on the shoulder of the selling company or their representative.

Just sayin~

1 - 19 of 19 Posts