Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turtle Wax just came out with a black ceramic spray polish that can be used on plastic. Very promising. I'm buying a bottle to try out on the massive amount of black cladding on our cars. I would not use it on interiors despite the video below:

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
678 Posts
Very interesting. Wonder if they are mixing something like black dye or black copier toner into the solution? Not a fan of carnauba wax since synthetic polymers were developed for this purpose. On the other hand I am always looking for something better for my tires so will be giving this some thought. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very interesting. Wonder if they are mixing something like black dye or black copier toner into the solution? Not a fan of carnauba wax since synthetic polymers were developed for this purpose. On the other hand I am always looking for something better for my tires so will be giving this some thought. Thanks for the info.
I think the reason they have carnuba and acrylic is to provide a thickened carrier for the pigment. Pure synthetics are molecular-thin film type things and I'm not impressed with the way turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray looks on black plastic - it flashes off and the finish is clean and hydrophobic but not rich black looking. This seems very promising and i will review it after it arrives. It should be good for the Onyx black wheels as well.

·
Registered
Black 2016 Outback Limited 3.6.
18 Posts

This stuff works wonders on black trim. Its like a stain, thin like water, stays wet looking, but not oily. Ive used it on tires and it lasts through washes with pressure cleaner. My dad has used it on his rhino lined truck bed. It has lasted almost a year now in his truck. My dad has used it on my moms 14 OB and ive used it on my trim on my 16 OB. If you have white letter tires just paint it on carefully and acetone the white letters once complete.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's no longer listed as a product on Turtle Wax's website - it's being discontinued?

Seems like they're promoting the new black wax as a substitute?

·
Registered
Black 2016 Outback Limited 3.6.
18 Posts
Ahh, i am not sure about that as ive had couple of bottles at the house. I will be getting to target and walmart tomorrow i will check there, and possibly an advanced or autozone...i am a fan of their black spray wax/detailer for paint...but then talking about products for paint opens up to a whole new level of options and opinions. It may be available on amazon or ebay. Has anyone used the adams detailer for black plastics?

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you want anti-fading protection on all that plastic for up to a year or possibly longer as well as easier washes, then you should consider using a dedicated ceramic coating for plastic trim. Something like IGL Ecocoat Trim, CarPro DLux, Gyeon Q2 Trim or Gtechniq C4 coatings that have more silica in it than ceramic waxes and sealants. It's also why they come at a higher cost unfortunately. A 30ml bottle should be sufficient to coat an Outback twice though. Turtle Wax, Meguiars and Griots Garage may also have trim ceramic coatings that you could pick up at Autozone, Napa, Walmart.

Tip: a little goes a long way, so it's better to apply a thin coat of ceramic than a thick one, which makes it easier to wipe/level. I used about half a 30ml bottle of CarPro Dlux to coat all 4 oem wheels and all plastic trim, roof rails. You'll probably curse me if you take up this route because it can take seemingly hours to lay on a single coat because there's so much plastic on the vehicle. About half-way through, I was personally swearing at my OB for having more plastic than a Beverly Hills surgical center. But you'll be thankful for the easier maintenance after multiple washes months on end.

And if the plastic trim were to ever fade, would recommend using Solution Finish Black Trim Restorer before applying any protection. I personally haven't found anything better than this to restore black trim to nearly new.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm more of a frequent low effort maintenance guy, but here's a great comparison showing how different coatings last:

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Testing Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Black Acrylic wax on black plastic bumper. The bumper already had TW Spray Coating applied to it weeks ago and I didn't use all purpose cleaner, or dish detergent to take it off. Just used 3-in-one detailer to remove any dust.

The spray itself is black like liquid shoe polish and will permanently stain anything you use to apply or remove it. I used disposable microfibers for the test. Given that characteristic, it's not an economical choice unless you're doing an entire car, and I wouldn't even attempt to wash anything that had this on it.

It seems thicker and stickier on application than the hybrid solutions spray coating, leaving more of a haze after application. The clear spray coating doesn't seem to stick to plastic as well - makes sense since it's more of a thin film molecular layer type of product, vs the black acrylic that is meant to suspend the pigment in a layer over whatever it's applied to. Wipe off was extremely easy.

My impression is that the TW Black might have made the bumper 5% darker and 5% glossier than the spray coating at best, and 0% at worst.

Though I haven't verified, I think it will help to hide scratches on the black Onyx wheels so I'll use it there, and on the inner lip of my wheel well trim, lower portions of the side cladding, maybe some engine bay plastics, and then throw the rag away. As black plastic gets scuffed it tends to lighten, so as the cars age I think it'll be more useful.

As I applied the black stuff to the bumper, some of it got on the silver paint and seemed to wipe away without a trace - the paint already had TW ceramic spray coating on it.

First image is after a section of bumper was first cleaned with TW Detailer and then blue tape applied.

Second image is after TW clear spray on left, Black on right, applied and buffed off.

Same thing but with the blue tape removed

Now the entire section had TW Black applied and buffed off:

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car is several months older and the black trim isn't as deeply black as it used to be, so I tried the black acrylic spray wax again and it's working very well at deepening the black, for example the plastic trim around the wheel wells and the lower cladding.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The car is several months older and the black trim isn't as deeply black as it used to be, so I tried the black acrylic spray wax again and it's working very well at deepening the black, for example the plastic trim around the wheel wells and the lower cladding.
So it seems to be worth it? How long is it keeping it black before replication

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the new Outback it only helps a little - will not entirely blacken areas that aren't black - but on my 2009 honda fit that had severely faded black plastic grille and plastic in front of the windshield, it seems to have lasted several months so far with no signs of fading but that was with multiple applications and it's not as dark as jet-black from the plastic dye kits. I should have taken before and after photos but I didn't.

Porosity seems to be key - if plastic is degraded and porous the black stuff soaks in and darkens. If the plastic is smooth then the black wipes off - think dry erase marker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts