Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my Outback, I struggled to find ways to store gear and still have easy access and space. Found Molle Seat-back panels from Blue Ridge Overland Gear worked great. Also Ammo cans for storing an air compressor when airing down, tools, bottle jack and other survival gear worked great also. Now I need a good roof rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, 2.5l, Venetian Red Pearl
234 Posts
No not yet. Still looking for one

Unless you plan to store extra gas, have a big shovel or need a pull-out canopy, you'll probably find a cargo box more versatile than a roof rack when camping. The ability to securely store - relatively speaking - your camping gear in a weatherproof box is a huge help when going camping.

When I camp now, all my camping gear goes up top in the box - allowing me to sleep in the back if I want. And keeping the camping gear in the box works amazingly well for helping keep the car's interior organized and clutter free.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless you plan to store extra gas, have a big shovel or need a pull-out canopy, you'll probably find a cargo box more versatile than a roof rack when camping. The ability to securely store - relatively speaking - your camping gear in a weatherproof box is a huge help when going camping.

When I camp now, all my camping gear goes up top in the box - allowing me to sleep in the back if I want. And keeping the camping gear in the box works amazingly well for helping keep the car's interior organized and clutter free.

That’s a good reason to consider a cargo box. Also the cargo box is more aerodynamic than a rack with a Pelican case. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited; 2" LP Aventure lift, LPA skid plates and small bumper guard, diff breather relocation, subframe skids; Motegi MR118 17x8et32 wheels; Yakima LoadWarrior with extension; ARB
318 Posts
Agreed on the cargo box vs basket for the top. I've got a basket on mine as the full size spare rides up there. It will definitely require some consideration as to what can be put up there and left up there un-attended while in use. We do have a cargo box too, but obviously the spare won't fit in it, so that poses other issues.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, 2.5l, Venetian Red Pearl
234 Posts
Agreed on the cargo box vs basket for the top. I've got a basket on mine as the full size spare rides up there. It will definitely require some consideration as to what can be put up there and left up there un-attended while in use. We do have a cargo box too, but obviously the spare won't fit in it, so that poses other issues.

That is the one unfortunate thing about the Outback - only a donut fits inside the spare tire area.

While I'd love a full size spare, I figure the majority of tire flats are at least temporarily repairable. Thus, instead of using a full size spare, I have two DC powered tire pumps, a patch kit and tire repair sealant (aka...Slime). I figure the combo of those three things will allow me to temporarily repair most flats and reach a tire shop - even if it means driving 50+ miles on dirt or gravel roads. And if not, there's always the donut - poor as it may be.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

One consideration for the rack was a full size spare when off road. I carry a portable compressor and a Bottle Jack anyway. Since buying my 2016 OB new, I have had two flats and both times it was able to pull the tire off, remove the screw or nail in the tire, plug and air back up on the side of the road. Off road however, I’m taking a risk with only a “donut” if I should cut a sidewall or worse. So trying to determine a good solution for a full size spare when off road or over landing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts