Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i with 2 inch lift and 235/75/15 Falken Wildpeaks AT3W
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So about once a week or so I like to offroad my outback out by Montauk point. Nothing too serious just some trail action and maybe some beach excursions. What I really want to know is how much my car can actually handle. This car is my daily and I'm not looking to do any hardcore off road things that would break it or damage it, however, I would like to know how much I can throw at it. Will it be able to handle deep loose beach sand and just how good is it in the snow? I understand that tires are everything and I am looking into getting a beefier set than what I have now but how good would my outback be at handling the things I mentioned above on the tires that I have? The tires I am currently using are definity HP100s which are made by cooper and are pretty much run of the mill street tires. Also if you guys have any offroad tips such as how to drive in those situations I would greatly appreciate it!

My OB is a 2006 2.5i auto with 17 inch rims

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,487 Posts
moved to the unpaved section where many threads like it exist.

beach, snow, off road,

tires, skid plates, maybe a lift if you really want to do some off roading.

beach, = air down, and bring a pump. and some tow straps. (vehicles off all kinds pull each other out of nasty holes).
I live in the mountains and sometimes the worst is a sandy brook, for a vehicle of any kind, or your boots. = quick sand.

____

dedicated snow tires on their own rims are great even on long island. (AWD vs. All wheel spin).

how many miles a year do you think you are going to put on the car, some people are buying year round snows. (so they don't melt in the summer months). but it maybe still better to get snows and 3 seasons tires (= all seasons that you don't use in winter).

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,780 Posts
You will get all that info on Offroadsubarus.com

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,730 Posts
1. tires. and you good to go into places where do not need more ground clearance or steeper angles. and good tires better higher ones so you could lower psi and try some tracks.
2. some lift. 2'' would be enough and its enough.
3. skid plate at least for engine part.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i with 2 inch lift and 235/75/15 Falken Wildpeaks AT3W
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replys! I currently have 2 Hankook winter icept w409s. They are a pretty beefy tire however I cant find anymore in my size as they are discontinued. What snow tires would you guys recommend? Im also looking to replace the stock bumper with something that will improve the approach angle and look more offroady. Do you guys have any suggestions?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,487 Posts
Thanks for all the replys! I currently have 2 Hankook winter icept w409s. They are a pretty beefy tire however I cant find anymore in my size as they are discontinued. What snow tires would you guys recommend? Im also looking to replace the stock bumper with something that will improve the approach angle and look more offroady. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I live in upstate NY and run cooper studded on their own OEM rims (I can rotate these in a X, as they are not Unidirectional).
I try to keep them on one car until May 1 to get through spring mud season , (april has many soft muddy roads and driveways).

the studs have to get off the road from May1- Oct15 in NY.

I don't know if there are places on long island that don't like studded snows, ...if any of the NYC cops were smart they would write me a ticket for riding in their fine city on studs, ...but they have paid me little mind so far. The ones I have are very noisy on bare pavement, and old fashioned with deep tread. almost all other snows are unidirectional V tread, which are quieter, but if they are on their own rims you can only rotate them front to back.

and I use all seasons for the 3 warmer seasons, currently michelin primacy, but will buy a set of Michelin premiers when I feel it necessary. (widening sipes so they pump the same amount of water as the tread gets shallower). the michelins that I have and although they are well past their prime, with the AWD can make anything dry and hard. but I would not want to go on beach sand with them, and I avoid tough places without my snow tires on. a fresh set of all seasons that have less then 18,000 miles are pretty good though for anything. (but after that you will have trouble on snow or sand, or mud).

_____

if you were looking for all terrains.
BF goodrich KO2 are the best, some people like Yokohama Geolander when they are looking for something a little lighter and cheaper.

April is a good month to buy tires, for sales.
November is the best though. (when EVERYONE wants to buy new all seasons or snows)

sell the pair of snows you have to 2wd people. (can't mix and match on a AWD like a subaru).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts