Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my OB for 6 months. Ive been looking for off road trial, and searching the forums ive come across Anza Borrego.
I plan to make the trip, I just dont know if i should go alone; if so what you guys recommend me taking and how well should i be prepared.

Or if going alone is a bad idea, may get a group and go out there.
let me know if anyone is interested

Thanks

·
Registered
557 Posts
don't go alone.

check out this thread

Expedition Portal

no activity since late 2012 but read through.

also, look through the local forums CA/NV. folks are always planning trips out to the desert.

good luck and have fun :)

joel

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited CVT
16 Posts
Just don't take the 'staircase' at the end of Coyote Canyon...you want low gearing/high clearance 4x4 for that, but Ocotillo has lots of sandy roads in the open perfect for flying in an OB.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going alone is always a bad idea, imo. There's actually a few threads on here that cover what to take with you for such excursions and there is a whole Subie community which might also help you with your quest.
Yeah, i kinda figured going alone might not be the best idea. my plan was to try and get a group that would willing to go down there.

don't go alone.

check out this thread

Expedition Portal

no activity since late 2012 but read through.

also, look through the local forums CA/NV. folks are always planning trips out to the desert.

good luck and have fun :)

joel
Thanks Joel. this site is great. Seems like itll be better if i organize something there.

Just don't take the 'staircase' at the end of Coyote Canyon...you want low gearing/high clearance 4x4 for that, but Ocotillo has lots of sandy roads in the open perfect for flying in an OB.
ill have to keep that in mind, i could already see myself there!

·
Registered
Mostly stock 2012 6MT.
665 Posts
I can't remember his name, but there's a user on here that goes out to Anza quite often. I'm sure he'd be willing to take you out there. He's posted quite a few pictures and videos of those place.

Edit: His name is "reactivity". He's done some pretty rough trails in his Outback. It's impressive what these cars can do.

·
Registered
DBA-BRF EZ36D SAP
16 Posts
Been itching to try this too but frankly this whole topic of safe off-roading is the great unknown to me at the moment lol :crazyeye:

Would love to join a Subie group for a day run to start.
I've been looking to Hungry Valley (Hungry Valley SVRA), sounds like a safe way to start out slow in SoCal...if I stay off the tougher tracks.

·
Registered
2011 2.5i base
270 Posts
I'm in.
Been through Anza about 100 times... probably 90 of that alone/one vehicle. Gotten stuck several times but have always had the tools to get out.
The OB can handle a LOT out there, but where it can't there's always shovels/ramps/rocks. :)

Mojave has TONS of stuff also. Both those areas get hot soon. San Bernardino has some cool stuff, as well as

I've also taken the Sierra Pelona trail (nearer to you) to the Rowher Flat area. There are some rocky sections that will most likely cause you to get stuck unless you have decent tires and maybe air down a little, but still lots of fun!

Sierra Pelona Trail - Dirtopia, the Off-Road Encyclopedia

When are you wanting to go?

edit* I didn't mean to sound like it was a good idea to go alone.. just always ended up that way. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@reactivity sounds good. If we could shot for early June, if that works for you. It'd be pretty sweet to get a few more OBs out there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There are some easier fire-roady trails up in Big Bear you could do too. Info is at the visitors center. I was up there with my wrangler and it was all a piece of cake, but my outback could have done most of it.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Since the ground clearance of our 4th Gen Outbacks are less than one inch lower than a Toyota Tacoma, we, technically, should be able to do these things, right?
Crossing the Kern river might be a different story pending water height. But given the near zero snow pack this year this might be the year to make that trip in the OB.

·
Registered
Lifted '95 Legacy & 03 OBS
275 Posts
I challenge someone to take their Subie on the old mining road that goes to Laurel Lakes/Bloody Mountain, near Mammoth. I tried to get up it, but wussed out because my car was 2 weeks old. :rolleyes: Could be fun for someone with a little more confidence in their Subie!

Here's some info: Reconnoitering in the Great Basin & Eastern Sierra By 4x4 - Laurel Canyon
That looks like a sweet trail run!

While not CA but done in a Suby! Subaru on Lockhart Basin trail, Moab?!!!! - DirtyImpreza Forums
And the full trip report:
http://dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27659
:29:

Just sharing in suppport of what the scoobs are capable of. . .

·
Registered
2011 2.5i base
270 Posts
Awesome time last weekend! Was cool to see ya get those first few trail scuffs. :)

·
Registered
2002 Ford Sport Trac with Long Travel Kit. 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R
3 Posts
I posted on the regional thread about doing a trip to Gorman. I always take my truck there since its a good place for a day trip, now I want to take my OB and test her out.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R OB limited w/ Eyesight
3 Posts
Hi there! I'm in Downey, let me know if you get a group together! Interested in the Anza trail.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts