Subaru Outback Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
96 Outback, 2" Lift, Mudrat Front Bumper, Mudrat Rear Bumper,Mudrat Roof-Rack,5 speed Hi-Lo Trans,Lsd diff's front and Rear....:) Eat Your Hearts Out.....:)
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all......Just found this Forum......

Thought I'd let you all know......I am a new Business Building Off-Road Accessories for all ages of Subaru.....
I started with a 1979 Wagon, and Am now building things For the Newest generation of Subaru......:)

I am currently building an Off-Road Double tube Winch Bumper for the front of all Outbacks, Impreza's, Sports, and The Baja....A 04 Turbo Baja was my test bed for this Bumper, and it and the Outback share the same front Clip....:)

I can stuff up to a 6800 LB Ramsey winch in this Bumper and it comes with light tabs as well.....

Pics of it can be seen here......on the Baja
http://usmb.net/gallery/album115

I am looking for a Volunteer in the PNW willing to Have a Rear Bumper added to their Outback Wagon as well.....This will look similar in design to the front Bumper , and will have a class 3 Hitch Built in nice and High Off the ground....:) This Person Will get The bumper at Material Cost, Labor Free.....

Also Available very soon....I am building an Adapter Kit that will allow you to Bolt an Older Generation 5 speed Hi-Lo transmission up to your EJ 2.2 or 2.5 or even the H-6 Motor....:)
Here again I need a Volunteer to be the first.......:) I've already got 2 kits in Older cars where we Have installed a 2.2 into a 84 Wagon with the 5 speed Hi-Lo mated to it....:)
And My personal MONSTER has a 1.8 96 Impreza Motor Mated to a 5 speed hi-Lo as well......Kit is here, Just need a Newer Gen car to test fit one in .......:)
Going to have one in a 98 Forester in 2-3 weeks......behind a 2.5 motor......:D

Sorry for the long Post.......Hope this excites a few of you.......:)

My wife will soon be driving a 1997 Outback wagon with 2.2 to 5 speed Hi-Lo into Nissan T-case, to Subaru diffs Front and Rear running 4:11 gears LSD in both with 31x10.5x15 Wildcat EXT tires as well on a 10inch lift......Pics will be here as soon As I get that one Done.......

Later, John in Oregon.....

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Not sure if I'd really want one for my 2004 Impreza Outback Sport. Although, I have given it some thought about it before and when I look at my car I just can't envision it with a bumper guard.

I think it's great you're planning to make these. It looks on the hefty side for a Impreza. Would they all be basically the same design (tube sizes)?

Being a person with plenty of backing into posts, guard rails, flatbed trailer, etc. I like the idea of a rear bumper guard. :) Like I said though, I doubt I'll ever actually want to add one.

Wishing you well with the venture.

·
Registered
'02 H6 Sedan - gone :(
169 Posts
SWEET!!!

Great another mod to toy with....

I may be moving to Portland soon...hmmmm...how to convince the wife????

It looks like you removed the original bumper? How does this work with the air bag "stuff"? As one used to say, 'i know nothing!':D

Please keep us posted.

·
Banned
96 Outback, 2" Lift, Mudrat Front Bumper, Mudrat Rear Bumper,Mudrat Roof-Rack,5 speed Hi-Lo Trans,Lsd diff's front and Rear....:) Eat Your Hearts Out.....:)
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roo....It actually Doesn't look bad on the Impreza Sport or Outback Sport......And it Greatly improves the aproach angle into things Like tall curbs...:)

kst8er........Yes original Bumper comes completely Off, and this One Bolts into factory locations......
As far as airbags go, It doesn't interfere with airbag sensors at all.....And Its been crash tested on the Baja in rally crosses, and at 10mph up against the rear of a Motor home that needed a Pushing.......:)
For hard off-Road use where you thought you might bang into something really hard you can pull the airbag fuse in the panel, and disable the bags....then plug back in later.......

Happy to see some interest, John

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
John, thanks a million for working on this kind of stuff.

that bumper sorta has the Mad Max ambience...:)

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
one suggestion on a new product.....i think you might find that there is a substantial mkt for a brush guard/bash bar/light mount that fits in place OVER the existing bumper and front plastic instead of replacing it.

that thing you're currently making looks nicely done but is way too radical for most OB owners, esp if their car is newish. many OB owners like their car precisely because it does all things well, and your current item leans a little more toward the Class 8 Baja racer look than i suspect most of em (us) want. take a hint from Chevy, who made lots of $ with the RS Chromearrow cuz it looks Z28ish but lacks the expensive componentry and is thus cheaper to build/buy/insure/feed. we're a land of posers, and a lot of OB owners have to drive their cars in the city where parking protection would be really nice.

bw

·
Registered
96 legacy outback wagon
1 Posts
I love the bumber but I would have to agree that it is a bit too much. I would love to try something like that but would retain the original bumber. The same would also apply to the rear bumber idea. Looks like the bumber will survive more than the car! If you come up with a slightly less burly design please let me know. I would love to mount one to my 96 OBW.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
I don't mind the burly look and I would love to have a winch. What about wind noise? And how does this tie in with a factory skid plate?

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the Input Guys

I am working on a Bolt over Bumper style as well, But I ,coming from the Off-Road Side of things ,Hate the Loss of Ground Clearance in any Way shape or form.....So we are trying to gain a Bar without Loosing the clearance.....:)

Lizard.....It will work ok with Factory styly plastic skid Cover.......just don't Mount the skid Bar underneith, and you leave plastic there......I can ship minus that bar.....? It can always be mounted later....Bracket will be on the Bumper anyhow......

Wind Drag is marginal, In the Baja We didn't feel it signifigantly, but when we Mounted the Factory Subaru Roof-Rack, WOW......Lots of Drag from it, and unable to drive with Sunroof Open due to Noise......:(

Thanks, John

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
I went back and looked at the pics again, and now I have a better understanding of the front skid plate setup.

I was asking about wind noise, not wind resistance. I'm sure the resistance would be higher than stock just because it isn't a big smooth aero fairing but more like a whiffleball in comparison. It looks like it might be prone to whistling at freeway speed.

But I really like the reduced overhang, I would be much more confident taking that front end into a creekbed (or, out). I have a few scuffs on the chin of my 98.

Too bad you're so far away from me, I might be your rear bumper volunteer.

Wait, something about that line doesn't sound right :eek:

What I mean is, the rear bumper fascia on my 98 has a big scuff and crack from when I spun out in snow and hit a freeway K-rail. And I've p1ssed and moaned about wanting a hitch.

How would your rear bumper cover all the wrap-around quarter area from the rear wheels to the end of the car?

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Sorry if you've already answered this, but how does this affect the laws re the front aibag sensors? I know here in Australia anything like this has to pass governtment design rules to be legal.

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
It's about time!

Finally someone has stepped up to the plate and giving USA outback owners some offroad goodies!!! Let the Aussies eat sand or in our case in the PNW MUD!!! Nice job Mudrat!!!:D

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's Been Said......:)

Jondalar......I said it in an above post.....Does Not affect airbag sensors at all....:) sensors are on the Car side of Frame, and Bumper Bolts in before them at crumple Zone......

Lizard.......On rear I figure to do Something similar to front with 2 tubes, and Fill in behind with the same perforated material, or I have the option of Sheet steel With Subaru Logo cut into it....:)

Scooby, Where in Oregon are you....? Have we Already chatted.....?
Wanna Volunteer your Wagon ....:)

Later, John.......

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Another question about the rear - how about the exhaust pipe?

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Stock pipe and bumper, 98 OB

I always thought the pipe was likely to snag on something since it protrudes past the profile of the bumper.

Attachments

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
'03 outback wagon bumper

I went to volunteer my '03 OBW and wow!!! The front bumper MUDRAT79 is bomber! It looks trick on the Outback and gives it an aggressive don't mess with me attitude!! The approach angle is awesome! I could actually blow right through some nasty potholes for a change! I plan on purchasing one from Mudrat79 soon and poweder coated in silver w/clear coat. We have to eliminate the factory fog lamps (in my opinion are worthless!!!)I will mount up a set of PIAA 520's for some real fog lamps! I had to drive from Tigard down to Eugene in heavy fog all the way too!!! Mudrat79 will post some pics soon of the mock up we did. Next I will volunteer my wagon for the rear bumper.

I need a lift and some offroad tires and my outback will be ready for any snow /mud!!!

Thanks again John!:D

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Scooby.....

Well, I got several Of Your ride with the Stock Bumper off, But None of it with the REAL bumper On......Look forward to seeing the shots you took.....

Thanks For letting me Tear your car Apart...:) With luck we Can Tear the rear Off and Get a Good one back there next time your Down.......:)

And for all of you wanting Just the Light bar For the Front, I did look into that....I am getting some Mounts Made, and Will test fit those as well When Scooby Comes Back down in a Week or 2.....

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
'03 outback front bumper

I went down to Mudrat's and got a front bumper (powder coated 'like chrome'color) with light tabs for fog lamps on my '03 outback wagon. I've got a pair of PIAA 520s to put on it. So far it looks sweet!!! better approach angle too!! Mudrat will post some pics soon! I test drove at 90mph no noise!!! my Thule cartop x-bars make more noise than the bumper!!!:D dare to go extreme!!!

I can't wait to pull another Explorer out of the snow!!!

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are pics of it on the Outback Wagon....

Ok, Here are pics for all you Folks worried About how well this Bumper is Going to Look on the front of the Grocery Getter.....:)

I personally think it Looks better on the Front of the Wagon over the Baja....

In the pic of the Front View of the bumper you will see the Primitive Eng. Alum Skid Plate Poking out under the Bumper Really Low......:(
This is where the Stock Bumper Sat at for Lower end height....

We are working With Primitive to get this Issue fixed By using a New Styly of Skid that will Bolt in the same, but radius up to and Bolt into the Bottom of the Bumper for a Clean Look as well as Full frontal Belly protection.....:)

I will Post pics of it as well as soon as we can .......

Later, John

Here is a Link for the Pics......

http://www.ultimatesubaru.net/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=607

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
BUMPER UPDATE

I got my fog lamps mounted . Paul Eklund of Primitive is getting the skid plate modded to fit up to the bumper. So far it's really coming together .

:D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.