Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Outback Wagon 2.5i 5spd MT Atlantic Blue Pearl
261 Posts
Hopefully! I'm planning on taking it out to California around Yosemite and then into nothern California and Oregon. If you guys know any nice trails around there that a stock Outback can handle I'd love to know about them!
The Rubicon ;)

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
Hi from Cedar Park. Looks like a great place to be in this beautiful weather! Nice bumper sticker

·
Registered
2006 Outback Wagon 2.5i 5spd MT Atlantic Blue Pearl
261 Posts
Rofl....pics or it didn't happen!
Can it be Photoshopped? Honestly, I'm sure you could do part of the Rubicon with it stock....I'd honestly be curious to see how well it would work.

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts
Nice pictures.. I would take my XJ on the Rubicon but not my outback.. sure it can do a lot but depends on the weather... you can get in serious trouble.. by yourself.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi from Cedar Park. Looks like a great place to be in this beautiful weather! Nice bumper sticker
Hey Cedar Park! I'm actually in Round Rock.. I tell people Austin though because nobody knows where Round Rock is =)

Not too many Outbacks around here. I'd imagine we'll spot each other at some point.

·
Registered
2014 XV 5MT, 2000 Outback Limited 5MT
57 Posts
Hopefully! I'm planning on taking it out to California around Yosemite and then into nothern California and Oregon. If you guys know any nice trails around there that a stock Outback can handle I'd love to know about them!
Maybe a stock Outback could take these on...

a gap-fill concept for California State Route 178, could be used as a fun scenic "detour" from Nevada
CA-178 E/Trona Rd to California 178 - Google Maps

a gap-fill concept for California State Route 190, could be used as a fun scenic detour towards Yosemite
Co Route 107 to US-395 N - Google Maps

I assure you the two above routes should give you some sense of adventure :29: (though I would recommend not going alone)

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
Hey Cedar Park! I'm actually in Round Rock.. I tell people Austin though because nobody knows where Round Rock is =)

Not too many Outbacks around here. I'd imagine we'll spot each other at some point.
Just north of a weird place.

There are a lot of Outbacks around Austin. Trust me. I do maintenance on plenty.

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
646 Posts
Drove in austin with my outback, didnt see too many, thought i would see more in texas i for get some times its merica cars and trucks then subies...come to think of it i dont think i have ever saw a subaru dealership in houston.....odd...lol

·
Premium Member
15,483 Posts
We have 2 dealerships in the Austin Area. Both have good sales. Especially used. Come in, go out quick.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe a stock Outback could take these on...

a gap-fill concept for California State Route 178, could be used as a fun scenic "detour" from Nevada
CA-178 E/Trona Rd to California 178 - Google Maps

a gap-fill concept for California State Route 190, could be used as a fun scenic detour towards Yosemite
Co Route 107 to US-395 N - Google Maps

I assure you the two above routes should give you some sense of adventure :29: (though I would recommend not going alone)
these look great, thank you! How do you find others like them?

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
It's good to see dirty Outbacks, but I have to comment that your definition of "trail" is different from most....

You had better plan on getting suitable tires and a full sized spare for that trip to the Land of Many Pointy Rocks.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Premium Member
15,483 Posts
I liked the trails through and around the southern end of Lake Mohave on the Nevada side north of Laughlin. You can drive/roll for hours through there. (Better have a map of the place with the correct road numbers when you go in and a compass. Plenty of water also.) It's a good mix of smooth to treacherous. Then work your way to the waterfront and jump in. Great for a few days camping and fishing.

When you get tired of nature, go back to Laughlin and play the tables.

·
Registered
2014 XV 5MT, 2000 Outback Limited 5MT
57 Posts
these look great, thank you! How do you find others like them?
LOTS AND LOTS of searching on Google Maps...

a combination of:

* finding fun-looking roads/trails
* using streetview to confirm if not gated/private road
* using Googe user content (such as member photos) to verify the difficult of said roads/trails suitable for Subaru soft off-roaders

I assure you, you'll need quite a lot of time. But I'm sure it would be worth it once you go in person and experience the adventure yourself :29:

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Norcal easy stuff even a 2wd can go but most people never check it out. Diggin's Gold mine in Auburn. Dirt road - nice bridge over the Yuba River fun time exploring the old gold town. Head into Diggins from the end closest to Auburn you will come across the old school house first. STop!! And go check out the school check out the crapper! I recall it was a eight hole-er. LOL Then proceed on to Diggins.

If your thinking Coastal - Highway 1 look up Usal Rd basically you look for road marker X and hang a left through a small gap in the brush then its 6 miles of amazing lost coast dirt driving into Usal Beach. Last time I drove in was with our Legacy GT in a wet winter in June. We easily made the trip in but it was far more technical than the flat wide dirt road you show in your picts. We even crossed about 100ft of road under about 8 inches of water and rolled onto the beach where we ate lunch with Tule Elk less than 100ft away from us. All the other stuff I can think of I would take a off road buddy so if something goes wrong your not SOL.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts