Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 491 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it a bit odd that there seems to be no info on the 2019 OB? We heard about the 2018 OB in January 2017. I guess there must be almost no changes in 2019 as they did the mid-model changes for the 2018 model year and 2020 will be a new design, at least that is rumored. I just like to keep up with the changes. :)

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5 No eyesight package/no navi
177 Posts
My dealer said the 19's won't have many if any changes.

Nice exterior color choice! I have a twilight blue with black interior on order.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
We're not expecting much this summer with the '19 Outback.

We traditionally run 5 year body cycles, so the redesign and global platform will hit the Outback for the 2020 model year - so sometime late summer, fall of 2019 at dealerships.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Subaru typically has laser focus on one big roll out a yr. You won’t hear anything about the 2019 OB for a while and I wouldn’t expect much of anything different from the 18.

The Ascent is no doubt the Laser focus all hands on deck topic right now and will be probably all the way through November

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,197 Posts
Subaru typically has laser focus on one big roll out a yr. You won’t hear anything about the 2019 OB for a while and I wouldn’t expect much of anything different from the 18.

The Ascent is no doubt the Laser focus all hands on deck topic right now and will be probably all the way through November
redesigned 2019 global platform foresters should hit dealers in "fall"

november/december they should be talking about the plug in hybrid, and whatever the 2020 legacy/outback engine choices are.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
As the 2019 should be the last year of the Gen 5 platform, expect little to no changes. It'll be nearly the same as a 2018.

Maybe have a different color option, maybe a this or that trim change...but functionally identical.

Reactions: George-Mi-Az

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,197 Posts
As the 2019 should be the last year of the Gen 5 platform, expect little to no changes. It'll be nearly the same as a 2018.

Maybe have a different color option, maybe a this or that trim change...but functionally identical.

outback 2009 = "special edition" cloth seats with a moon roof.

outback 2004 = weird colors. (and no pretty gold rims :crying: ).

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts

Isn't this true for the 18 as well? It's just a bumper swap and a different head unit that sucks.

0:)

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
There's a pretty long list of less obvious changes for '18. But maybe you were just starting trouble, I dunno :grin2:
Little column A, little column B.

>:)

I guess the 'functionally identical' was my hang up.

Are we going to single out all the 2015's for having a dome antenna while the 16,17,18, and presumably 19 all have shark fins?

It's the only way I can tell my two apart.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,197 Posts
Little column A, little column B.

>:)

Are we going to single out all the 2015's for having a dome antenna while the 16,17,18, and presumably 19 all have shark fins?

It's the only way I can tell my two apart.
the old tech Dome antenna is known to stop the NSA from reading your thoughts. :smile2:

all the 2016-19 people in the know will be scouring lowes / home depot parking lots to nab them off 2015s.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
I'd say functionally is where the real meat and potato's are for '18. Brake, steering, suspension, noise, cvt tune, etc. No way they'll make those changes for '19. Then again, a mid-model refresh the 4th year of a 5 year cycle....I guess anything is possible.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
I'd say functionally is where the real meat and potato's are for '18. Brake, steering, suspension, noise, cvt tune, etc. No way they'll make those changes for '19. Then again, a mid-model refresh the 4th year of a 5 year cycle....I guess anything is possible.
They changed the brakes, steering, and suspension?

Rotors and Struts list the same for both years. What did they change on the steering?

I know there was some more sound deadening added. Did not know they changed the CVT tune at all.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
From my perspective my 2002 is functionally identical to a 2004. The have a different grille, bumper, headlights, cloth patterns...but the engine, transmission, and major mechanical stuff is the same.

Subaru is pretty predictable as far as how they deal with minor vs major model changes.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited, all dressed
97 Posts
Isn't this true for the 18 as well? It's just a bumper swap and a different head unit that sucks.

0:)
:smile2: For my money, the 18 head unit is worth the price of admission over the 15 head unit. The 18 may suck, but the 15 was even worse: the voice NAV never worked, and if it had, the maps were never sufficiently up to date to have found the place - or if it had, the street name spelling errors made it hard to find by address keyboard input. Now that sucked. :frown2:

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,197 Posts
2019 may have a a vape storage/ charging port in the center console of a green painted "colorado edition" :smoke:

complete with electric bongs in World Rally Blue.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
... a green painted "colorado edition" :smoke:
Far out!

You may have heard: Cheech & Chong recently announced that they're no longer doing stoner humor. "Pot's over, man." They have moved on to "edgier stuff " that's more "rebellious" ... e.g. "things that are actually still illegal, like unpasteurized dairy products, importing exotic reptiles, burning leaves without a permit, and, of course, taping and distributing football games without the express written consent of the NFL."

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
They changed the brakes, steering, and suspension?

Rotors and Struts list the same for both years. What did they change on the steering?

I know there was some more sound deadening added. Did not know they changed the CVT tune at all.
Here's their official info on '18: Subaru U.S. Media Center

I don't know specific part number changes, but I noticed a big difference in brake pedal feel and noise reduction.

Have also been happy with the infotainment and after having Carplay in other vehicles, my wife won't have one without. The map has frozen up a couple times in 3 months/6k miles, but after hitting the home button a couple times it came around. We've had nav and some form of infotainment on every vehicle we've purchased since 2003 and this one is quite intuitive really. My only real complaint is I'm not a fan of the glossy finish on the screens/controls. They always look smudged/dusty.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
2019 may have a a vape storage/ charging port in the center console of a green painted "colorado edition" :smoke:

complete with electric bongs in World Rally Blue.
With two rolls of Gorilla tape to close off those flapper vents in the boot quarter panels the entire cabin of the car becomes one gigantic vape container.

The dome light converts in to an interior fog lamp.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,294 Posts
Here's their official info on '18: Subaru U.S. Media Center

I don't know specific part number changes, but I noticed a big difference in brake pedal feel and noise reduction.

Have also been happy with the infotainment and after having Carplay in other vehicles, my wife won't have one without. The map has frozen up a couple times in 3 months/6k miles, but after hitting the home button a couple times it came around. We've had nav and some form of infotainment on every vehicle we've purchased since 2003 and this one is quite intuitive really. My only real complaint is I'm not a fan of the glossy finish on the screens/controls. They always look smudged/dusty.
The 2017 screen is pretty good. It doesn't show fingerprints at all but it does show dust easily. I keep a microfiber cloth in the center console to clean it and my glasses.

1 - 20 of 491 Posts