·
Super Moderator
25,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
576 Posts
17 miles all electric range.

It's no Tesla but that should significantly reduce gas usage on short commuting.
This will be useful if the Crosstrek has the faulty gas gauge like the Outback >:)

·
Administrator
4,349 Posts
$35,000 for one of these?!? It will suffer the same fate as the last Crosstrek Hybrid, collecting dust on dealership lots until someone who likes the hybrid novelty buys one or the dealership gives it away. I remember having two of these on my lot in Indy and they were the last 2016 Crosstreks to go and we practically had to beg the eventual customers to buy them. You pay a heck of a lot of extra money for marginal benefit, which I think it just perceived benefit in the form of novelty.

But hey you can now get a heated steering wheel on a Crosstrek if you get the Hybrid model with the upgrade package, its only pushing $40,000... FOR A CROSSTREK!!!

·
Super Moderator
25,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
It has a 17 mile electric-only range, coming at a cost increment of $12,000, more or less, relative to a comparably equipped non-hybrid Crosstrek.

And their marketing is pushing that it saves $350 in fuel costs per year. No wonder they are encouraging potential buyers to also look into Federal and state rebates. Do the math.

It's the future. And I even put an EVSE into my home at a time hen Oregon was giving out a 50% tax credit on the purchase/install cost - that was a good bargain, I think, for something that is inevitable.

But on this one and at this pricing, I'll pass.

·
Super Moderator
25,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
537 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
ugh.... 17 miles? is it really the case that people who own Subarus less than 5 years old almost never drive anywhere further than 9 miles from home, that this is the market base they're advertising to? Because they sure can't be trying to compete with more mature hybrid platforms this way...

This is why I'm mad that Chevrolet is pulling the Volt. The plug-in hybrid platform with its 53 miles of electric only should have been converted to more vehicles...

·
Super Moderator
25,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ugh.... 17 miles? is it really the case that people who own Subarus less than 5 years old almost never drive anywhere further than 9 miles from home, that this is the market base they're advertising to? Because they sure can't be trying to compete with more mature hybrid platforms this way...

This is why I'm mad that Chevrolet is pulling the Volt. The plug-in hybrid platform with its 53 miles of electric only should have been converted to more vehicles...
nothing to be mad at,

buy a Chevy Bolt.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
17 miles is fine. That really would cover 90% of my local grocery-getting activity, and it still has a flat gasser to get me on all the other trips.

I'm genuinely interested in this car. Yes, @Brucey already warned me about crosstreks not really being good enough to replace a 3rd generation Outback... but there aren't too many other choices out there.

I've become a big fan of the Toyota hybrid power split device, the heart of the original Prius. And I notice that the new Crosstrek hybrid has exactly that, adapted for longitudinal AWD layout. This is a huge change from the previous CH.

Specifically it means:

• No torque converter
  • No gears (it really is a one-gear transmission, it never shifts, it never couples or decouples anything. This also means no delay when changing directions.)
  • No drums or friction clutches like in a traditional automatic
  • No chains or sheaves like in the Subaru CVT
  • Smoothest implementation of auto idle stop available on the market
I think it's a major leap forward for Subaru in terms of transmission features & durability. Fewer parts, friction clutches used only for the AWD system, it never shifts and it doesn't even have the 4 most problematic parts of the Subaru CVT.

This looks like a real candidate for my next car.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I remember having two of these on my lot in Indy and they were the last 2016 Crosstreks to go and we practically had to beg the eventual customers to buy them.
These are going to be limited availability.

They learned something last time - so instead of sending them to places like here where the car makes somewhere around zero sense whatsoever, they're going to limit them to CARB states.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
nothing to be mad at,

buy a Chevy Bolt.
The Kona EV blows the Bolt outa the water.

I was hoping the the global platform was going to enable in floor battery instead the Trunk space in the Crosstrek is badly filled with a huge battery. I thought we were beyond this really poor retro fitting battery in trunk thing but I guess not. The Kona EV has a proper trunk and 258 mile range. I was sorely disappointed with the battery placement in the Subaru.

·
Super Moderator
25,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I was hoping the the global platform was going to enable in floor battery instead the Trunk space in the Crosstrek is badly filled with a huge battery. I thought we were beyond this really poor retro fitting battery in trunk thing but I guess not. The Kona EV has a proper trunk and 258 mile range. I was sorely disappointed with the battery placement in the Subaru.
ew yuck,...hyundai.:frown2:

·
Registered
14,354 Posts

a big pancake style battery in the floor is going to be tricky in anything that retains a gas engine up front. Hot exhaust pipes and batteries aren't easy neighbors. Add an AWD driveshaft tunnel and there's not much space left down there for that battery.

Rear engine/front battery would solve a lot.

·
Super Moderator
9,560 Posts
17 miles is fine. That really would cover 90% of my local grocery-getting activity, and it still has a flat gasser to get me on all the other trips.

I'm genuinely interested in this car. Yes, @Brucey already warned me about crosstreks not really being good enough to replace a 3rd generation Outback... but there aren't too many other choices out there.

I've become a big fan of the Toyota hybrid power split device, the heart of the original Prius. And I notice that the new Crosstrek hybrid has exactly that, adapted for longitudinal AWD layout. This is a huge change from the previous CH.

Specifically it means:

• No torque converter
  • No gears (it really is a one-gear transmission, it never shifts, it never couples or decouples anything. This also means no delay when changing directions.)
  • No drums or friction clutches like in a traditional automatic
  • No chains or sheaves like in the Subaru CVT
  • Smoothest implementation of auto idle stop available on the market
I think it's a major leap forward for Subaru in terms of transmission features & durability. Fewer parts, friction clutches used only for the AWD system, it never shifts and it doesn't even have the 4 most problematic parts of the Subaru CVT.

This looks like a real candidate for my next car.
I can't speak on the newer platform.

Only a 2013 XV.

>:)

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Yeah that said it all.

So to be fair there are going to be some downsides to this car as well. Much reduced cargo volume compared to the 2006 Outback. Somewhat reduced towing.

That battery will eventually croak and cost $bundles.

There won't be too many shops that really know how to fix it.

worst of all, I don't think you can get a tan interior.

·
Super Moderator
25,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah that said it all.

So to be fair there are going to be some downsides to this car as well. Much reduced cargo volume compared to the 2006 Outback. Somewhat reduced towing.

That battery will eventually croak and cost $bundles.

There won't be too many shops that really know how to fix it.

worst of all, I don't think you can get a tan interior.
when the taxi cab guys replace toyota things in the beater hybrid cars, its the gasoline engine that gets swapped out, NOT the battery.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts