Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Upon further review I don't believe I am in this recall group. I'm G3307410. Mine was assembled 96 cars before the affected parts were used I guess. Don't want my steering wheel coming off on my long commutes. That's no joke to loose steering...

2016 Outback -- From G3307507 to G3346346

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steering Column Recall

Thanks for this. My VIN falls within the range and my dealer called today and will check out the steering column tomorrow.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What is involved in putting in a new steering column? Is the work done entirely within the engine compartment, or do they need to disassemble the dash or otherwise mess with the interior?

My one month old 3.6 Outback is currently at the dealer awaiting the replacement part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My six-day-old Outback is within the VIN range. Guess we'll see how my dealer treats me. I have need for the cargo space, as I am teaching a saw and axe workshop in Virginia this weekend starting tomorrow, and a winch rigging workshop in North Carolina next week. They better have my loaner car pronto.........

·
Registered
220 Posts
My six-day-old Outback is within the VIN range. Guess we'll see how my dealer treats me. I have need for the cargo space, as I am teaching a saw and axe workshop in Virginia this weekend starting tomorrow, and a winch rigging workshop in North Carolina next week. They better have my loaner car pronto.........
Axes, saws and winches?! Don't need no fancy pants dealer!

Just git in der and git it dun urself!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just returned from the dealer -- dodged a bullet. While my VIN number was within the recall range, the serial number on the steering column is what matters. The nine-digit number is on a sticker just above the brake pedal. In my case, it was 964210381, or by Subaru's code, the four numbers after the first one indicating year, month, and date. As I understand it, if your steering column falls between March 22 and April 16th, you're out of luck (6322-6416).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks so much for this. My VIN, too, was in the recall range, but I just went and took a picture of my steering column label, and I'm 96420xxxx. Of course I'll wait for the official word, but this keeps me from calling and banging on my dealer's door. Today is the 2-week anniversary of delivery for me, and I'm loving my Outback.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What is involved with replacing the SC?

How does this affect the value of a new car still on the dealer's lot? Does this repair involve taking apart the dash and steering wheel or is this all done under the hood?

·
05 XT, 06 XT
15,933 Posts
How does this affect the value of a new car still on the dealer's lot? Does this repair involve taking apart the dash and steering wheel or is this all done under the hood?
From what I have been able to come up with. the issue is with the steering shaft u-joint assembly. If that is indeed correct, then it can be done under the hood in about 20 min.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just returned from the dealer -- dodged a bullet. While my VIN number was within the recall range, the serial number on the steering column is what matters. The nine-digit number is on a sticker just above the brake pedal. In my case, it was 964210381, or by Subaru's code, the four numbers after the first one indicating year, month, and date. As I understand it, if your steering column falls between March 22 and April 16th, you're out of luck (6322-6416).
Thanks for posting, I've been looking for this information all day. I took a picture of the label on the steering column this morning after I had received a message from my dealer about the problem. Looks like the steering column on the 2016 Outback I purchased 5 days ago is 4 days outside the date range. Although, just to be sure the car is headed to the dealer tomorrow. I was not too happy hearing about the problem this morning, but I'm very impressed with my dealer/Subaru who quickly alerted me to the possible defect and offering a loaner/rental car if a repair was required. Previously this year I went through a battle with Hyundai for a loaner/rental car after my wife's Sonata engine failed (under a recall and warrantee). It took over 2 months for a replacement engine, and with the dealership's assistance(after 10 days without a car) Hyundai finally agreed to reimburse me up to $25 per day for a rental car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Am I looking at the right sticker? It has a large "03" with "NSK" under it.

The number at the bottom is 563310542. I see that others are posting a number starting with 9.

·
Registered
638 Posts
That's odd because my dealer's service guy said the dates affected were between Feb 28 and April 3.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Am I looking at the right sticker? It has a large "03" with "NSK" under it.

The number at the bottom is 563310542. I see that others are posting a number starting with 9.
That's the one. From the information the service guy told me this morning, the first number is the year and then the month and day. So yours was made 3/31/2016. From what he told me, that means your car is one of those affected. You need to get it in and get that confirmed ASAP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's odd because my dealer's service guy said the dates affected were between Feb 28 and April 3.
I was just going with the date range my dealer gave me. This is the kind of information that Subaru should have posted up on their site immediately after determining that a certain lot of steering columns was defective. If in doubt, take a picture of the steering column tag and read the number off to your Subaru service manager. Judging from the "hair-on-fire" activity at my dealership yesterday (phones ringing, tow trucks arriving, people queueing up), this will be a busy weekend for Subaru.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just talked to my dealer. I read them date on my tag (3/11/16) and they said I need the new shaft. Dropping it off this afternoon.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
How does this impact the Outbacks sitting on the dealers lots? Do they have to disclose the repair to buyers?
Typically yes. And it's not necessarily a negative mark on the car - my '08 had a disclosed repair prior to my taking possession of it to the lower body panel under the front end bumper. They said it had been damaged when they unloaded it from the transporter, and they had replaced it with new Subaru-sourced sheet metal and had an outside body shop install it and match the paint. I inspected it, and couldn't see any difference between it and the surrounding side panels - and still can't. In my mind, this makes them more credible, because you know stuff like this occasionally happens, and I would rather know than not know. And they put this all in writing to me, so in theory I could have taken it to an outside source, had them inspect it, and tell me if it was done competently.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts