Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Typically yes. And it's not necessarily a negative mark on the car - my '08 had a disclosed repair prior to my taking possession of it to the lower body panel under the front end bumper. They said it had been damaged when they unloaded it from the transporter, and they had replaced it with new Subaru-sourced sheet metal and had an outside body shop install it and match the paint.
For that, yes - it was actual damage to the car, which is no different than a hail repair.

It may sound like I'm nit-picking, but these are un-titled cars that are having a defective part replaced. There's no difference between us at the dealership level replacing them or if the folks at the plant go out into the yard, yank the column, and put in a new one.

So there's no disclosure necessary. Now, we may SAY something, depending upon the customer, but there's no requirement to do so, like there is with physical damage or hail repair, since the vehicle is completely covered by the manufacturer warranty.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I really appreciate the posting by HeubergerMotors, but I'm puzzled.

According to their OP, these are the 2016 Outbacks subject to inspection:
2016 Outback -- From G3307507 to G3346346

My VIN is G3316312. That falls in the range of VINs.

However, when I go to MySubaru.com, it tells me that my car is not subject to any recalls. Subaru.com, in the recall lookup section, says that there are no recalls for my car. No calls from the dealer, no mail from Subaru.

Can we get verification on the VIN range(s), please?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Just returned from the dealer -- dodged a bullet. While my VIN number was within the recall range, the serial number on the steering column is what matters. The nine-digit number is on a sticker just above the brake pedal. In my case, it was 964210381, or by Subaru's code, the four numbers after the first one indicating year, month, and date. As I understand it, if your steering column falls between March 22 and April 16th, you're out of luck (6322-6416).
My dealer said the range was Feb. 28 - April 16. I guess that would be n62280nnn - n64160nnn
Regardless, when I read him my sticker number, he said it needed to be replaced.

I'm wondering how that code works out in Oct-Dec?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Has anyone been able to source the Canadian VIN range affected? I have a car ordered that just made it up here, but the VIN is G1335294, so due to having a manual transmission it's in a totally different range. I assume it's very likely in the range as it was built about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but havn't found a way to confirm.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Does anyone have the "official" bulletin from Subaru showing the Steering Column Lot number range that is being recalled that they can post? We all know the VIN range as that has been posted, but nowhere have I seen the official Column number range that the mechanics are referencing. I would like to see that bulletin.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Attached is the Subaru TSB from the NHTSA.gov website with all the information regarding diagnostic procedure and how the column will be replaced if needed. Many have asked how much of the vehicle will need to be disassembled to replace the column.
Thanks for posting the TSB, doesn't look too bad.

My column was born 04/06/16, it's sitting in my garage with about 250 miles on it. Scheduled to go in next Wed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm just driving mine with the lane keep assist engaged! Then I can just brake when the steering wheel disengages...
JUST KIDDING! Dropped mine off at dealer and driving my loaner car til fixed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just returned from the dealer -- dodged a bullet. While my VIN number was within the recall range, the serial number on the steering column is what matters. The nine-digit number is on a sticker just above the brake pedal. In my case, it was 964210381, or by Subaru's code, the four numbers after the first one indicating year, month, and date. As I understand it, if your steering column falls between March 22 and April 16th, you're out of luck (6322-6416).
Can you be more specific how to find this sticker? Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK our NSK # is: 962010501 so did we dodge a bullet?

Am I translating this to mean ours was made 2/01/2016 so we are good as we are before the range starting 6228 by 27?

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is on the steering column. Look at the steering column above the brake pedal for the white sticker with "NSK" in large letters on it.
Thank you - it took some maneuvering for my old body to contort itself into position and it was impossible to get a clear photo but my eyes worked well enough to read off the numbers into a voice memo on my phone and then check and cross-check with my DH.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As an ASE and Subaru trained dealer tech who gets the joy of doing this job all day long. 2016 and 17 Outbacks and Legacys are affected by this. If you look at the base of the steering column at the firewall inside you will see the sticker with the code. 6228-6416 is the range I believe. I have over 100 to do and they are coming about 12 a week. 6 for push button and 6 for key ignition. The inspection itself takes 5 minutes but the replacement involves removing interior trim and the steering wheel to get the column out. Subaru says it will take 1.6 to 1.8 hours each car. The wheel will not come off in your hands the car will just stop responding to your input of turning. It is going to take some time to get through all these cars. Subaru suggests calling there tow company and having it towed to the dealer. They pay the tow bill and the loaner. We also cannot sell any car that has an open recall or a known safety issue or face fines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Isn't it ironic

As an ASE and Subaru trained dealer tech who gets the joy of doing this job all day long. 2016 and 17 Outbacks and Legacys are affected by this. If you look at the base of the steering column at the firewall inside you will see the sticker with the code. 6228-6416 is the range I believe. I have over 100 to do and they are coming about 12 a week. 6 for push button and 6 for key ignition. The inspection itself takes 5 minutes but the replacement involves removing interior trim and the steering wheel to get the column out. Subaru says it will take 1.6 to 1.8 hours each car. The wheel will not come off in your hands the car will just stop responding to your input of turning. It is going to take some time to get through all these cars. Subaru suggests calling there tow company and having it towed to the dealer. They pay the tow bill and the loaner. We also cannot sell any car that has an open recall or a known safety issue or face fines.
I understand your pain. Ironically as I was shopping to buy my new outback, they boasted that because of the reliability, the service dept. only needed 3 technicians, compared to the adjacent VW dealer, which had 10-12. I'm sure these timelines are equal parts "parts availabilty" and technician capacity.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A brilliant for the update. it's seem looks very much effective whenever we got that kind of information for that. but i wanna say dealer should be more sound to the claim n complain.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts