Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,946 Posts
The reason I mentioned the 215/65R16 is because I have Grabbers in that size on my outback, and they fit just fine. Which means that since the 14" tire you are looking at is the same height and width, it should fit on your car just fine too, once you get it lifted.

·
Registered
2009 VW Jetta SportWagen, 1992 VW Cabriolet, No more Subies :(
31 Posts
OK, thanks, I will check out the Grabber in that size. I still want to find out what the "QR" means, but as long as it is all conditions rated I think I will get it. It will be nice to not have to spend money on wheels too.

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
moxie said:
I still want to find out what the "QR" means
Well, as xcgates mentioned the "Q" is a speed rating, and "Q" is 99 MPH. Which means that tire is only rated to go up to 99 MPH. Any faster than that and it could delaminate or fail in any of a number of other ways.

The "R" just stands for Radial. So that means this tire is a radial as opposed to a biased ply. Almost all street tires these days are radials.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Lmt 4-Cyl
1 Posts
Grabber AT2 vs Yoko AT-S

I'm looking into buying either of these two tires for my 02 OB, is there any significant differances, advantages or disadvantages to either?

·
Registered
00 OB 07 OBXT
5,538 Posts
didn't read the whole thing but

00 outback wagon with general grabber a/t's

these tires are great for basically all driving conditions, i've had them in the dirt, mud, snow, sand, wet and dry pavement and couldn't be happier with them. they are a bit narrower and taller than the stock size bridgestones i have on another set of rims.

i thought i'd just use these for offroading but i havn't taken them off since i put them on about a year ago. the seem to ride better than the wider tires and steer easier, i havn't noticed any drawbacks in handling so i havn't bothered putting the others back on. i actually might sell the other set of rims and just get another set of these tires when these wear out. i'd have to go check the odo to see how many miles i have on them but so far so good as far as wearing evenly and the treadlife seems good.

i expected the mileage to sufer but i consistantly get 28 mpg on the highway so i guess the narrower footprint offsets the more aggressive tread .

i highly recommend these tires for anyone who takes their outback off road and wants a tire that can handle it but still have great street manners.

·
Registered
00 OB 07 OBXT
5,538 Posts
just went back and read the last page, i see there is some discussion about the tires i just talked about.

i response to cybets question, i havn't used the yokos but from the picture of the tread i saw at tire rack, they look really similar to the bridgestone 009's i have.

the biggest difference is the tread design, the yoko uses a standard circumferal [is that a word ?] groove design with siping [cutting] of the rubber across the tread to create treadblocks. this works fine for most conditions but i don't consider this an all terrain tire, more like an all season. the smaller grooves tend to get packed with dirt and snow and don't "clear" well .

the grabber is more of what i consider a true all terrain tire, basically it looks like they patterned it after a bfg at/ko [same tire i have on my truck]. it uses a nondirectional [no circumferal ;] grooves] design that is what i think of as halfway betwen a street tire and a mud tire. the open block design gives more compliance when run at lower pressure [tire can conform to surface] and the larger open area is less prone to packing with mud, snow etc and will "clear" better [throw the stuff out of the tread]. the other advantage to a nondirectional tire is that you don't get "tracking" on the highway. our freeways are laced with joints that the grooves on most tires tend to get stuck in [track], i noticed an improvement from the bridgestones on the suby and the non directional tread tires i put on my wifes car.

can't tell you what to get but just looking at the tread i would say the grabbers have the yokos beat hands down for off roading.

as a sidenote, the tire rack says they aren't rated for severe snow. they do say m&s rated right on the tire which is the same thing my bfgs say . i've had the grabbers in about a foot of snow and on ice and they felt great.

btw, i expected these tires to be noisy on the highway, they aren't at all. i usually drive at 70-80.

·
Registered
95 Legacy Outback, 2.2, MT, 27" Grabbers, GR2 Outback Struts, Forester King Springs= 11" clearance
254 Posts
Grabbers

+1 on the Grabbers,

They are simply awesome in the mud and loose dirt/rock. No experience in snow yet, **** dry weather:3:

I run the 27/8.5-14, but for some reason they are actually 26"

No major rubbing issues.

They have saved me and the wagon from being dragged backwards down a very steep rocky slope. I was hauling an 8'x10' flatbed trailer with 2 quads and i had to back the trailer down a turnoff that was at a pretty good slope of loose gravel, dirt. When i first engaged forward motion i could feel myself going backwards. Spun the tires a bit and pulled right up without looking back.:6:

If didnt have these tires at the time i would have been on the news.
" local idiot pulled down hill by trailer"

Great tire

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i Special Edition
322 Posts
Another vote for the Grabber AT2s, I have them in 215/65R16 on 16x6.5 steelies from Tire Rack on my 2009 Outback.

They served me well on njdrsubaru's last Pine Barrens run, I'm fairly certain they saved me from sliding into the water/mud pit my parents took their 2004 with half-worn Craptenzas into for an accidental swim.

Despite being an AT tire they're actually pretty quiet, not much noiser on pavement than my original Potenzas, although they're a bit noiser now that I have a bent wheel (driver error).

Gas mileage has dropped since I put them on, but much of that may be due to colder weather/reformulation of gas for winter.

As to the "not severe snow rated" on Tire rack but the M+S emblem on them - The M+S rating is old and dates back from the bias ply days when it was actually a challenge to achieve that rating with a normal tire. Nowadays almost any allseason can get that rating, I think even Craptenzas are M+S rated.

Because the "M+S" bar got so low there is a new rating system for winter tires - "severe snow rated" does not mean an M+S emblem, it means the new "mountain and snowflake" emblem. In fact, M+S doesn't imply any sort of performance at all - http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125. Since the majority of the Grabber AT2 line IS "mountain and snowflake" rated, I'm guessing that the 215/65R16 size just barely misses the mark for that rating, so is probably well above average.

·
Registered
95 Legacy Outback, 2.2, MT, 27" Grabbers, GR2 Outback Struts, Forester King Springs= 11" clearance
254 Posts
Another Pic

Here is another picture of how awesome the grabbers are. I made it up this small rock wall without airing down. You can see my tracks where i had some wheel spin. But i made it up. I was alone so i couldnt get any in action pictures. But i will definitely be doing this little climb again.:17:

Attachments

·
Registered
'05 Legacy 2.5i Limited Wagon
22 Posts
So, it's time for me to get a new set of tires. I was going to wait until I got my tax return, but I got a pretty bad flat this weekend, and I've got the space-saver spare on the right rear, which is coming off ASAP!!

So, I was reading through the forums and I'm really liking these General Grabber AT2's. I had a 31"x10.50" version of these and a set of BFG AT's when I had my Ranger, and I loved them. I'm thinking of getting a set for the OB in 215/65/16 - will these fit on my stock 16" outback rims, or are they too narrow? I'm not sure what the width is on the stock outback 16" rims.

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
They will fit just fine, that is the size 95% of us are running. The stock width is 225 mm, the 215 actually looks just as wide, if not wider because the the tread pattern.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Awesome, thanks!

Yeah, that size seemed pretty popular, just wasn't sure if you guys were running those on the stock rims or not - thanks for the quick reply.

Now I just have to try to get a tire appt before the snow hits again...I heard something about 3-6" late tonight in my area (central MD), and I'd rather not have 3 bald Goodyears and a donut on when that hits.

:eek:

thanks again - they're cheap enough that I might get a set of five and pick up an extra stock rim for a spare that I can keep in rotation with the rest!

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5i - 5-Spd Manual (Now with a new Family)
1,266 Posts
I'm seriously considering trying the Yokohama AT-S in either 215-65-16 or 235-60-16 or the A/T 2 in the 215-65-16 size on my Outback, so I'd be really curious to maybe catch up with you sometime and see them in person on the Outback, as well as get a report on how you like them on the road (everyone else seems to love them though, so..)

I wish there were some members with the Yokohama AT-S that would give some feedback... :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I just ordered a set of the Grabber AT2's in 215/65R16. I only got a set of four for now, but I definitely plan to do a full-size spare VERY SOON. I don't like the idea of having to use the half-size spare again after today, especially with these new tires.

I guess it's no surprise, but I actually had a little trouble finding a place that had them in stock (in this size) in my area. Sears told me it would take over a week, and it would have cost me over $600. I laughed in their face - literally!!

So I called around and I found a local shop that I've dealt with before that can have them shipped overnight and I can have them mounted as early as tomorrow around 9AM - hopefully before the worst of the upcoming snow. I was going to go ahead and buy 5, but the shop said they could only get 4 of them by tomorrow, so I'm going to wait until I get a matching spare wheel before I buy the 5th one.

Total cost mounted, balanced, and installed with road hazard warranty, including taxes:

$490.57

Now all I have to do is hit the salvage yards and find some '01-'04 Outbacks before it's time for my first tire rotation. I'll post some pics sometime this week after they're installed. Then I'm going to start fabbing a rear cargo area spare tire mount for the left side of the car - I like to keep the roof available for better gas mileage or mountain bikes!!

And to think I even considered All-Season Touring tires.....thanks again to this awesome site!!

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i-Auto. 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT Premium, Cypress Green
550 Posts
You should be able to make that future AT2 fit in your spare tire well without having to fabricate a mount.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks, kind of figured that it would, since that's where I threw my full-size flat when it still had some air in it - but ever since I saw pics of a mount on here, I really liked the idea of having it there. I always loved that setup on my '88 Jeep Cherokee. It's annoying having to move a lot of gear out of the car to get to the spare under the floor. I really like having storage under the floor to keep tools and valuables out of sight, and to keep them from rolling around too much. I'd rather just move the tire out of the car when I need to get to tools and such. In fact, I've been looking for the perfect place to mount an on-board air compressor and a decent set of tools out of sight, and that seems like the perfect place to put everything.

·
Registered
2007 OBW 2.5i 5spd
7 Posts
So I am wondering if anyone has put 215/70R16 tires on their outback? (stock are now 215/60R16)

I am starting to browse for a some new tires for my 07 and I'm looking to put some black steel wheels and possibly some BFG ATs (215/70R16) tires

If those cant fit sounds like its some yoko geolanders or generals ats at 215/65R16?

·
Registered
2009 Outback Limited 2.5i (9DG), Deep Bronze Metallic, Harman Kardon, Yakima Sky Box 16, All weather deep rubber floor mats
27 Posts
So just to confirm: there are no issues with the 215/60-17 size on a, for example, 2007 OBXT? Currently have the 225/55-17 Potenzas on and looking for replacements.
I installed 225/60/17 Geolander AT/S on my 2009 OB 2.5i and although the tire shop told me they would rub, I took my chances and rolled on out of the shop with them and they were very tight when turning, but NO RUBBING!!!

I have put about 3,000 miles on them in the last month and they have been awesome!!!

The one question I have for everyone else is this... On brand new freeway pavement, with the rain grooves/lines , I experience some wandering like I am being blown around by the wind or like I am on ice. This only happens on this new grooved freeway and when I make the transition back to older freeway or onto asphalt freeway there is no wandering at all and the tires feel wonderful. They are quiet and I only have mine inflated to 32psi cold and I have not had any issues with them being noisey in the cold of the mornings.

See pictures of how close they are and please note, the one "wind-deflector" on the rear driver's side wheel well will obviousely be coming off as soon as I get snow/ice between the tire and wheel well, but I lost my passenger side one last year with just the OE potenzas installed, so I fully expect that one to be removed this year...

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5i - 5-Spd Manual (Now with a new Family)
1,266 Posts
So I am wondering if anyone has put 215/70R16 tires on their outback? (stock are now 215/60R16)

I am starting to browse for a some new tires for my 07 and I'm looking to put some black steel wheels and possibly some BFG ATs (215/70R16) tires

If those cant fit sounds like its some yoko geolanders or generals ats at 215/65R16?
Based on the latest photos (above) from 'scooterscudder' the 215/70-16 is going to be too large (at 28" tall to Scooterscudder's 27.6" tall tire). I don't see the clearance for that extra height..

·
Registered
01 leg outback s/w 2.5H4 auto all stock so far
3 Posts
I just put Firestone Winterforce 215/70R16" on black steel wheels
from Tirerack on my 2001 outback S/W. They are very tight, but only
minor rubbing on full turning.
Sublue99:

61 - 80 of 87 Posts