Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but I just did my first on on my 2015 2.5i Outback.

It's the 7th oil change my Outback has had in 20,800 miles, the first 6 of them done at the dealer at about $50 each. The one I just did was under $20 with the filter and 5 quarts of Mobil One Advanced Fuel Economy 0w20.

Got the Subaru filters from Amazon and the Mobil One at Walmart with a $12 rebate.

I had the dealer put in my Fumoto valve some time ago at an oil change they performed.

The Outback was 3 years old on Sept 11 this year, I finally got tired of dealing with the dealer with this stuff and just stuck a floor jack under the front, jacked it up a bit, stuck two jack stands behind the two front wheels just in case, slipped under there, snapped my tube onto the Fumoto valve and opened the valve. I lowered the car while the oil drained thinking maybe it needed to be level to drain properly, probably over kill.

As those of you that have done this know, it's the easiest oil change in the world to perform and now that I have an empty 5 quart container, my next change will drain into that instead of a pan as I had to use.

Now a couple of things: We don't put a lot of miles on this vehicle each year, note for 3 years, only like 21000, 7K per year. But the maintence schedule forces me to change my oil every 6 months. The dealer wants to change it every 3000 miles, but the maint schedule says 6000 miles. So I have to change the oil again this coming MAY 2018.

It's surely a shame that with oils like Mobil One etc, that that 6 month thing is in place, for me every 5 or 6 thousand miles would be better. I saw a video about Mobil One extended performance oil that ran in a couple test vehicles for 200,000 miles, changed at 20000 intervals. The engines were torn down and looked like new with very little if any measurable wear.

Lastly, could I be imagining things when I say that my cold start noise/rattle is gone and the engine if quite a bit more quiet all around now with this Mobil One oil in it? Is it me or is it possible?

Sorry this so long, but for this old guy, doing these oil changes myself felt great. I"m going to teach my wife how to do them cause you know what will happen when I die and she has to take the car in to the dealer for service. It won't be sexual but she'll get a screwing like she's never had....

Couldn't resist that...

Gene

P.S. I'm serious about your thoughts on the noise reduction I'm hearing

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
251 Posts
One thing the dealer told me is whey "they" do the oil changes ... the services will show up in the CARFAX.

Now if this is "worth" a dealer service is up to the individual.

Not sure if that is a big deal to you or not.

Otherwise, just document what you did and when.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,171 Posts
why is your dealer suggesting 3000 oil changes? are they putting plain old dino oil in? or full synthetic?

I would think you could get by on 6000 mile changes. and look for when it is consuming up past 5000 and maybe swap it then (or add some cheap dino oil in the same weight, just to get you to the next change when it is conveient)..

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why is your dealer suggesting 3000 oil changes? are they putting plain old dino oil in? or full synthetic?

I would think you could get by on 6000 mile changes. and look for when it is consuming up past 5000 and maybe swap it then (or add some cheap dino oil in the same weight, just to get you to the next change when it is conveient)..
No, the dealer is using synthetic oil, bulk Subaru oil they claim. The dealer is charging me $50 to do this oil change, paper work even says 6 quarts on my invoice but they only use 5, I got nowhere when I questioned the 6 quarts vs 5 quarts, they told me the price is the same for 5 or 6, it's just wording.

There's been a huge amount of stuff done regarding dealer maint shops and the upselling they do to everyone who walks thru the door for a simple thing like an oil change. Many service reps are paid based on what they sell so they're caught in the middle having to upsell to make a living. But for the unsuspecting customer, like a woman for example, they can really add on a bunch of unnecessary stuff and drive the bill way up and most customers are none the wiser. I've actually witnessed this practice in action at the dealer and one other maint shop I was at that was an independent.

I'm pretty sure I have to change oil every 6000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first to maintain my warrantee.

Gene

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,041 Posts
That 6 month thing, regardless of mileage, is hooey. A dealer may have a car sitting on their lot for months before it is sold. Do they change it before they deliver the car to the buyer or say, "This had been sitting here for 4 months so mashed sure you change the oil in 60 days."?

They don't.

So change it annually or in 6 months, which ever comes first.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,171 Posts
That, sir, is a low blow in the region of Caraccas that doesn't take into account the effects of too much Halloween candy, caffeine and lack of sleep.
I meant like homer looking at the safety control board, after reading hard to follow written directions.
(getting ready to pick "eany meany, miney mow" )

I guess I could have used this,

Reactions: jdog1

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,171 Posts
Reactions: Bbb

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,540 Posts
How long are your drives? Do you drive long enough, at least weekly or so, to get any condensation to evaporate from the motor oil? If yes, you would be safe to go to 6000 mile oil changes. If no, it may be wise to stay with the 6 month intervals.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
184 Posts
When in doubt about oil change intervals, you can always send a sample to an oil analysis place like Blackstone labs.

I used them when I switched from conventional to synthetic on my wife's previous car (2011 Kia Optima 2.4). The recommended interval was 7,500 miles on conventional. I wanted to see if I could stretch it to 10,000 with Mobil 1. I sent them a sample of Mobil 1 drained around 7,500 and the report implied that I changed it at the right time. Gasoline dilution was the limiting factor on oil life for that engine because it had direct injection.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ditto on Blackstone Labs. I sent a sample to them from a diesel RV I bought with sketchy maintenance records and explained all I knew. They sent back an amazing detailed scientific analysis and more importantly to me, an explanation and layman level interpretation. Plus now we have a baseline going forward for that Cat.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,041 Posts
When in doubt about oil change intervals, you can always send a sample to an oil analysis place like Blackstone labs.

I used them when I switched from conventional to synthetic on my wife's previous car (2011 Kia Optima 2.4). The recommended interval was 7,500 miles on conventional. I wanted to see if I could stretch it to 10,000 with Mobil 1. I sent them a sample of Mobil 1 drained around 7,500 and the report implied that I changed it at the right time. Gasoline dilution was the limiting factor on oil life for that engine because it had direct injection.
Today I received my UOA from Blackstone for my car at the 30k change.

I used Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4 and the wear metals are still trending downward but they are still less than the universal averages. The only flagged issue for them was the 100cSt value which was high but it's supposed to be thick since it's a Euro 30wt oil that is thick. Blackstone is comparing thickness using US based standards.

Regardless, in their opinion the thickness made no difference and the engine ran beautifully. They recommended, just like last time, that I extend the interval to 8.5k. TBN was strong at 6.1.

This change I'm trying the Castrol SN 5w-30 EP to see how it compares. So far I see a slight uptick in mileage but that's not unexpected since the EP is quite a bit thinner.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
What on earth will car forums be filled with once we all are driving pure electric cars that require no oil at all? No snake oil 'cold air intake systems' or 'performance exhaust' posts?
You know, all the other first world problems owners complain about.....clock too small, panel gaps a silly millimeter different, a rock hit my windshield and it cracked.....there is always something.....but failed battery threads should be interesting when you go from a $100 battery to a $6000 battery pack.

To the OP, I would not deviate from the published maintenance schedule until your basic and power train warranties expire...

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
232 Posts
I purchased my 2016 3.6 used a few months ago with 8K miles on her. Carfax showed the first service/oil change was done at the original selling dealer at 6K. It also showed the dealer I purchased it from (which is not a Subaru dealer) performing a "service" (no details) at 8K, but I didn't want to trust that, so I took her in to my local Subaru dealer (happens to be the one that originally sold the car) yesterday for an oil change and tire rotation at 12K. The service writer told me the 3.6 only requires dino oil, which surprised me. Is this true? This is my first Subie, but I thought all cars come out of the factory with full synthetic nowadays -- not even dino for break-in. I'm hoping to get a ton of miles out of this engine, so I paid the $15 up-charge for synth.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts