Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OBP Forester XT
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh the joys of aging parents....

81.4 yr old mom has snapped tendon in hand.... Cannot turn on her `16 Outback, so.... While waiting for her next doctor appointment in a week. She decides buying a push-button start `19 Outback with 3.6L engine will be a good fix for her circumstance.

Given the extra doo-dads coming with it, I'm sort of okay with it? But really?

Wish I could use my tendinitis in my hip as an excuse for buying a new Subaru to add to my `13 XT and wife's `16 Impreza.

She proudly showed her 24 hour car off Saturday when arriving here for Easter. 3 hour notice she was coming and 90 minute drive time.... Oh the joys of being the closest offpsring/sibling.

Even better I was in process of moving a pal to his new-to-him house in Forest Falls, CA. Wasn't going to be back until after Mom arrived.

I'll just say, I won in the In-Law category. :wink2::laugh:

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,325 Posts
Oh the joys of aging parents....

81.4 yr old mom has snapped tendon in hand.... Cannot turn on her `16 Outback, so.... While waiting for her next doctor appointment in a week. She decides buying a push-button start `19 Outback with 3.6L engine will be a good fix for her circumstance.

Given the extra doo-dads coming with it, I'm sort of okay with it? But really?

Wish I could use my tendinitis in my hip as an excuse for buying a new Subaru to add to my `13 XT and wife's `16 Impreza.

She proudly showed her 24 hour car off Saturday when arriving here for Easter. 3 hour notice she was coming and 90 minute drive time.... Oh the joys of being the closest offpsring/sibling.

Even better I was in process of moving a pal to his new-to-him house in Forest Falls, CA. Wasn't going to be back until after Mom arrived.

I'll just say, I won in the In-Law category. :wink2::laugh:
Life is too short to put up with a car you don't like or worse have a hard time using. Good for your family.

Did she pick the correct color, green, though?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Aging parents is tough. My Father inlaw was in poor health from age 50 to 74. And across the country. So I spent three weeks at his place cleaning it up, painting etc put it on the market. He had updated the kitchen high end designer kitchen about 6yrs prior.

This was Ann Arbor MI I own several properties in CA so not my first Rodeo. Going in I watched his area for a yr and saw that RE agents out numbered listings about 4 to 1. They also under priced the homes to move them as quick as possible to get a pay check. The agencys also play a escrow game with elder sellers where the agent at the signing requests some funds be held in escrow for repairs. These are treated as free cash by the Agents.

So most MI homes do not get upgraded over 40yrs and sell needing Kitchen, bathroom gut jobs. His house was a rare one it was upgraded in the last 6yrs.

So first off was the listing price I set the price $100,000 over the agents suggestion, she has a fit but agreed when I asked if I needed to get a new agent. I knew what we had court lication top neighborhood updated home etc. The house went on market Monday and we were in contract over Ask with three other offers all over ask by Wednesday. LOL

They pulled the BS holding money in escrow trick which we inly agreed to after it was clearly stated it was only for Basement flooding issues if that were to happen within 12 months at which point the contract was complete. Any billing must be sent to seller prior to any funds being released for repairs.

They wanted $20,000 we settled on $5000.

14months later I contacted the Agents company also an escrow office which should never be legal ie conflict of interest etc. I told them their escrow contract had expired two months past. That we were expecting $5000. The response was oh we need to check with the buyer first. I said fine you do that but you no longer have a escrow contract so send me the money.

Instead 2weeks later the boyfriend of the sellers agent had made a word document bill with no dates, parts purchased etc for $5000 to fix a sprinkler at the end of the driveway. I sent that to our lawyer in Ann Arbor who called the owner of the RE company and explained to him that withholding escrow funds after a contract is expired is grounds for loosing your escrow license. Not to mention the generic bill with no dates, no receipts and for something that doesn’t meet the conditions of the original contract could result in further license losses.

We got our money back 3 days later after a $250 lawyer trip hone call.

I will say this keep very close tabs on elder family I have recently seen extended family discover other family members had looted a great Aunts bank accounts, those folks are actually facing rock solid elder abuse charges and money laundering charges. No joke!!

Another close friend discovered his moms in home care taker had some how transfered the house to her name, my brother is a Lawyer who does development work with home builders and also has done property recovery. He ended recovering the house for my friends family and the care taker is facing multiple very serious elder abuse charges.

Its sickening how pervasive this elder abuse, theft and scams are. Its really a very, very big issue happening everywhere.

·
Registered
2013 OBP Forester XT
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...Did she pick the correct color, green, though?
No, she went with the CWP and Ivory "leather" versus cloth on her last two...

@Ravenworks ...Mine is 86 and drives like Mario Andretti...

Mine also drives like everyone should be receiving the blue flag waved at them... :laugh:

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
372 Posts
@Ravenworks ...Mine is 86 and drives like Mario Andretti...

Mine also drives like everyone should be receiving the blue flag waved at them... :laugh:

Hey, I'm 64 y/o and feel that way too. :surprise::surprise:

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
433 Posts
I'm my son's "aging parent" at 70!

My mother did make 82 but dad left town at 67. As was said before, be grateful you HAVE parents around to complain about, although I did detect some tongue in cheek in the original post!

·
Registered
2013 OBP Forester XT
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mom had to take the OB in for a couple items the dealer missed....

1. Window deflectors - On the invoice, but wasn't installed... Or "in stock" as she was advised.
2. TPMS connection to the car. She had a code and wasn't displaying tire pressure on the display gauge.

And averaged a tick over 27 mpg on a 700 mile jaunt mothers day weekend. This was most likely at her 75+ cruising speed. Infer all the Sammy Hagar references you'd like... :laugh:

She's still happy with it. Says the engine runs a lot quieter than her 2.5L in the `16 OB.

·
Registered
2013 OBP Forester XT
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol

·
Registered
2013 OBP Forester XT
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We did a n ice family road trip in my Forester XT to Henderson, NV for my nephew's HS graduation with him as (one of) the valedictorians.

Took the minions down The Strip during the day. Giving them a bit of history about it, and the downtown section too.

Swung out to do some light hiking at Red Rock then home today.

6 hours each way with holiday weekend traffic. Would have been less time if we didn't stop for lunch.

23.7mpg at 0-75mph there with a tank used average of @ 660miles of 22.5mpg.

Coming home entailed 0-15mph through State Line. :frown2:. Then 0-75 +/- mph, the rest of the way. Anything less than that would have had us run over. :surprise: On the sections we were granted to drive at that rate.

Filling up before heading back... $3.84 for 91 Octane. I could have had $3.43 if I waited at Costco. As my local gas station is $4.29 gallon. :crying:

My mom did similar mileage from San Diego and back. But she left a day later for home to miss all the holiday traffic. 27.8mpg round trip average.

She advised the car worked less for the hills, was quieter and seemed to have better road manners than her `16.

·
Registered
2013 OBP Forester XT
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mom received her thank you gift from Subaru.... Kinda jelly about it.. :nerd:

In the same sentence she said I could have her "old" gift from when she purchased her `16 Outback.

And when I say "old".... It was still in the box and bag that it arrived from Subaru in. :surprise:

A nice little leather overnight GO bag.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5I Limited Tungsten with Ivory leather
67 Posts
Does Subaru send a gift to every person that buys a new Subaru? Or is this a dealership specific thing?

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I've bought 4 from Subaru and never got a thing. :(
Same here. My wife and I have bought 3 in the last 5 years. Have not received a thing, but not really expecting anything. We are not part of the entitlement group.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts