Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.
I?ll drop the question first to save time:
Is there any benefit or harm to using oil additives such as a friction modifier?

I have been using Archoil AR9100 friction modifiers with my oil in my other vehicles. I was turned on to this because it was recommended to help with my Ford truck cold start issues. I noticed it seemed to help it run smoother and quieter as well. After a little reading, I found it was supposed to be safe for gas engines as well.

I know that Subaru?s seem to burn oil and that the H4 is kind of it?s own beast, so I was wondering if there is anything I should know before I add any aftermarket fluids to my engine.

Thanks for the help guys.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,718 Posts
Not necessary. Modern oils are that good that there is no measurable, long term benefit to using a modifier.

Also consider the very real composition of oil where the manufacturers are constantly tweaking or changing their formulas with different additive packages and basestocks all the time so that M1 5-30, for example, is not the same today as it was a few years ago even though it carries the same SN approval or builder approvals. The additive people are not testing every oil from every manufacturer in every viscosity every time a new oil formula comes out.

And they also can't tell you that even if they did what the effect of their product is in the additive packages from the oil manufacturer. All they can say is that it is compatible.

Your car, transmission, interior and most everything else will wear out long before your engine does using just SN in the correct viscosity.

·
Registered
06 3.0R JDM facelift SI Drive-shift paddles. 87 Brumby EA81 (Brat) 4MT D/R
613 Posts
Agree, no need for them and their use (additives) despite the claims / advertising.

Also agree modern oils are good enough so long as service intervals are maintained dependent on use / season, and recommended viscosity for temperature followed (owners manual)

I might be tempted to throw some in a noisey worn engine to help fill in the gaps (if it was a sticky heavy formulation ) to help keep it running a bit longer.

Reactions: jdog1

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
Not recommended by Subaru, as your Owner's Manual states.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts