Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
‘03 3.0R LL Bean Outback + ‘14 Forester Premium
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on a ‘01 Forester w/2.5L but applies to Outback also.

When our ‘01 Forester w/2.5L that we had since new was totaled at 200k I knew we would need to get an interim car. I looked around and found an identical’01 Forester with fewer miles, 186k. The seller claimed the head gaskets were replaced. I made an offer contingent on having a good oil analysis report.

I got a battery powered oil pump off Amazon and pulled an oil sample through the dipstick tube.

Result: The seller had clearly lied on the head gasket replacement. Aluminum, Iron, Copper, Lead, Potassium, Silicon, and sodium were all way high. I did not buy the car.

Mesh Wood Architecture Wire fencing Wall

·
Registered
‘03 3.0R LL Bean Outback + ‘14 Forester Premium
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For comparison here is the last oil analysis we had done on our ‘01 2.5L. Head gasket replaced at 105k along with standard 105k replacement of timing belt.
Switched to synthetic at 125k and it really liked Mobil 1 0W-40, with zero lead in analysis.

Font Parallel Pattern Monochrome photography Paper

·
Premium Member
'22 OB Limited XT Abyss Blue
966 Posts
For comparison here is the last oil analysis we had done on our ‘01 2.5L. Head gasket replaced at 105k along with standard 105k replacement of timing belt.
Switched to synthetic at 125k and it really liked Mobil 1 0W-40, with zero lead in analysis.

View attachment 530580
Thanks for posting these oil reports in the forum.

This lab does a nice job of interpreting the test results. I've seen worse. Looks to me that an occasional test of my OB's oil might be worth the money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts