Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 2018 Premium 4cyl and the Oil change interval is listed at every 6K miles. My son recently purchased a 2013 Premium 4cyl and the oil change interval is listed at 7.5K miles. Both are using synthetic Oil. With these 2 cars running the same basic engine, i am wondering why there would be a difference in the maintenance schedule?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
329 Posts
I believe this is due to the fact that certain gen 4 models 2013 / 14 had oil consumption issues. for gen 5 (2015 and up) Subaru reduced the change interval to 6k miles.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited
546 Posts
Tell your son to keep a close eye on the oil consumption on the 2013 until he learns his car's oil consumption pattern. Some of the 2013 2.5's tended to burn oil more than a normal modern engine. My 2013 tending to use oil at 70 mph but did not burn oil as a daily driver around town.

Lots of information on this board about the 2013 /14 2.5 engines love of oil and warranty information.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Budha, thanks for the heads up, we will keep an eye on the oil. Did you have the consumption test done at the dealer to see if your issue is covered under the warranty?

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited
546 Posts
Budha, thanks for the heads up, we will keep an eye on the oil. Did you have the consumption test done at the dealer to see if your issue is covered under the warranty?

No, I did not have the oil consumption test performed. I don't remember ever having a period of use where the oil consumption was greater than 1 qt per 1500 miles. On the highway at 70+mph is where mine tended to eat the most oil. My 2017 has 27000 miles on it now and uses no more than a few ounces per 6000 mile oil change intervals.

I am 70 and have owned many cars in my lifetime. Back in my history it was not unusual for a car to burn oil at a much higher rate than now. I have become accustomed to expect a modern car to go from one oil change to the next without adding oil. I was not happy when I realized my 2013 was burning oil at a rate higher than I had become accustomed to expect. I know some cars now have very long oil change intervals but I have not owned a car with a recommended oil changes exceeding 7500 miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts