Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2018 SUBARU OUTBACK 2.5I LIMITED
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My initial oil change program that I got at the time of my purchasing the Outback at the dealer has ended and for the first time, I had the oil changed at one of the chain stores. $99?! for SYNTHETIC PH4615 OIL FILTER? They said that the Subaru Outback required $99 Synthetic oil. But when I checked the dealer's website, they could do the oil change less than $60. I guess I was ripped off?

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
I get coupons all the time for $10 or $15 off those dealer oil changes.... they like sending me stuff in the mail I guess.

Did the chain store rotate the tires for you, or no?

·
Registered
'22 Wilderness
45 Posts
I think $99 is the rack rate, about as high as you will see, but not completely out of norm. I get a lot of offers in the mail from local garages to do it for about $70, and if your dealer is $60, that's actually a great deal.

But, not to be "that guy", the oil changes on these things look easier than any car I've had in the past. Accessible oil pan bolt, filter on top of the engine. I'm just going to take 10 minutes and do it myself. Mobil1 full synthetic is $25 for 5L from Wally World, a good oil filter is $7, and it'll take less time than driving to the dealership.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
884 Posts
Seems very high.

I go to a decent quick lube place with the work truck (takes 7 quarts synthetic) and it's $90.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited 2013 Crosstrek (traded) 2020 Outback premium pkg11
332 Posts
IIRC there is a thread in the gen 6 forum about how much did your first oil change cost. Many reported over $100 at their dealer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get coupons all the time for $10 or $15 off those dealer oil changes.... they like sending me stuff in the mail I guess.

Did the chain store rotate the tires for you, or no?
No Tire rotation.. I gave the online coupun of $15, and the guy said "Oh yes, you can use it" and they wanted to email me the receipt, which is completely OK with me as I lose paper. Then no discount applied. I feel this place a bit fishy...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think $99 is the rack rate, about as high as you will see, but not completely out of norm. I get a lot of offers in the mail from local garages to do it for about $70, and if your dealer is $60, that's actually a great deal.

But, not to be "that guy", the oil changes on these things look easier than any car I've had in the past. Accessible oil pan bolt, filter on top of the engine. I'm just going to take 10 minutes and do it myself. Mobil1 full synthetic is $25 for 5L from Wally World, a good oil filter is $7, and it'll take less time than driving to the dealership.
IIRC there is a thread in the gen 6 forum about how much did your first oil change cost. Many reported over $100 at their dealer.
If I remember, my came with a three-year oil change coupon at the dealer. So I have not paid for the oild change for my Outback. I used to pay approximately $40 for my Tahoe and Range Rover at Valvolin, so this was a sticker shock!!

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,693 Posts
I DIY for 20 bux, but that's me.

·
Registered
2022 Outback on the way- 2021 Outback Premium and 2021 Impreza -2019 Volkswagen GLI 35th
78 Posts
In my area, The Subaru dealers are right around 65.00 for an oil change but the instant oil change places are close to 85.00... It is much easier to change it yourself since the filters are on the top vs finding them on the bottom.

·
Registered
Outback Wagon, 2004, H6 3.0
296 Posts
There is no such thing as a "free oil change". "Free oil change" results in higher price of oil change. Simple economy. Buying a new car will get you "free oil change". Dealer is hinting.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
1,324 Posts
The cost of an oil change for our 2021 Touring and 2011 Premium average out to about $80 at our dealership, without discounts or coupons. This is for full synthetic oil, a new filter, and labor. It's not out of line for what is charged in our area (Portland, OR).

Steve

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
884 Posts
This is why I change my own (except work truck.... Because work pays).

The outback is one of the easier oil changes since the filter is on top .

I drive up some home made ramps to give a few more inches to work underneath.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
$49.99 at my Subaru Dealer, OEM SYN oil and filter. Usually have a coupon for free rotation, otherwise another $19.95.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
2,137 Posts
The typical $59 - $64 synthetic oil change at my local Toyota dealer is now an $89 affair. Coupons on $5 off now. No more $10 or $20 reductions.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,698 Posts
An oil change AND tire rotation at my local Subaru dealership is $84.33 after tax. Just an oil change is $49.95 before tax which I think is fair.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Limited
44 Posts
An oil change AND tire rotation at my local Subaru dealership is $84.33 after tax. Just an oil change is $49.95 before tax which I think is fair.
$49.95 is definitely a fair price. I spend $58.50 on parts alone for Motul oil and PurolatorBOSS filter.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,693 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 R Limited
295 Posts
The oil change topic is always a funny one. Not funny ha-ha, but the conversation always turns into a apples and paper towel conversation.

No question, it’s less expensive to do it yourself. It doesn’t matter if you’re a frugal shopper with coupons and rebates, or just buy the oil when on sale at the local NAPA.

The hitch comes in when you start comparing consumer retail sale prices at the store AND basic business overhead costs like electricity, phones, all sorts of insurance, advertising, etc. And that’s before they pay a tech to actually, you know, do the work.

Outside of having fresh oil and a new filter, both scenarios are not comparable.

It’s been many (many) years, but when I worked as a dealer tech, oil changes paid three tenths (18 minutes) in the flat rate system. Some math:

$50 for 5 quarts of Subaru branded synthetic oil + $10 for a Subaru branded filter + (using a $100 per hour shop rate to keep it simple) $30 for the labor (which entails getting the car from the lot, moving other cars blocking it in, cleaning off the snow, etc).

Bottom line is, no one in that scenario is getting rich off of the service.

So, for the folks that don’t want to / can’t change their own oil (no garage or driveway, tools, the ability to get the front of the car higher, tools, drain buckets, rags, brake cleaner, stores nearby to take the old oil, time, or just the inclination to do it), it’s simply the cost of business when paying others to provide services to you.

Businesses are in business to make a profit (while hopefully keeping people employed), not to perform perceived simple tasks at a loss.

Of course, this is simplifying it - taking a loss to bring in new customers, or on the hope of finding more profitable work, etc. are real, valid things. But, for those of us who could squeeze a nickel into a dime, how much would you charge to change someone else’s oil if your livelihood counted on it to put food on the table for your family? Would you include the time for the two trips to the parts store? The cost of brake clean and rags? Windshield washer fluid?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts