Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my oil changed otday at the dealer. Im not sure if they used a funnel or not but when i drove my car home, I smelled burning oil. So i popped the hood and sure enough they spilled some ol around where you pour it in. Shoudl i be concerned and just drive around til it burns off or will it destroy anything? Thanks

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Should be OK. Just make sure that after a while the smoke/smell goes away. I'm sure it was just a spill, nothing to worry abou there. Brian

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've had this problem with other cars, even getting the oil changed at a dealership who sold the brand. Note:

1 - they don't use funnels since their oil change bays have high-speed/pressure oil dispensers they stick into your oil fill. a modern dealership is designed to get-em-in/get-em-out quick so they're not going to be doing this operation with surgical levels of care...

2 - some drain systems are poorly placed or inherently difficult to work with, and it may be that outgoing oil spilled onto your exhaust or other components

I'm no mechanic but I agree that this is just sometimes normal and - while you'd expect better - unless you do it yourself by hand, it's just going to happen sometimes. Like Brian said, I wouldn't worry about it unless the burning smell doesn't go away reasonably soon.

my 2c
-Peter

·
Registered
1 Posts
That happens to me almost every time I take my car into the local Quick Lube place (the name has been changed to protect the guilty). One time I found greasy rag in the engine compartment. It pisses me off that they are not a little more careful - but I don't think any actual harm has been done.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
grumble said:
That happens to me almost every time I take my car into the local Quick Lube place (the name has been changed to protect the guilty). One time I found greasy rag in the engine compartment. It pisses me off that they are not a little more careful - but I don't think any actual harm has been done.
You'd think they could at least take a rag andw ipe off the excess (and not leave it behind!)

I'm going to my dealer for an oil change this Tuesday and they will get an earful from me. They changed my windshield last week and when I picked up the car the interior was covered in dust, junk and greasy finger prints.

·
Registered
151 Posts
sduford said:
I'm going to my dealer for an oil change this Tuesday and they will get an earful from me. They changed my windshield last week and when I picked up the car the interior was covered in dust, junk and greasy finger prints.
Oooh, I hate that... I just remembered one time I picked up a car from a dealer service visit and there was grease all over my clutch pedal (presumably from the mechanic's shoes). That little paper "we care about your car" mat on the floor didn't help :rolleyes: My shoe slipped off the clutch as I was pulling into traffic and I **** near had an accident. Needless to say, I turned around and went right back in to let them know that they were lucky I was not considering calling a lawyer.

-Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
PTinVT
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing