Subaru Outback Forums banner

oil-change interval

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Kevin 
#1 ·
I come from an "old school" where oil change is to be religiously had at every 3000 miles. And posted on the walls of service dept at Subaru dealership (& on mysubaru.com) are recommendation of oil change at every 3000 miles as well.

So, how do they explain the 3750-mile oil-change interval that's scheduled in the "45K-mile Service Package" (which can be purchased at the time of car purchase)?

I mean, on one side they say, "Yes, you should change oil every 3000 miles." then turn around to another to say, "Yes, every 3750 miles is plenty."

I always wondered what they'd say if 2 different customers (one with the Service Package & the other without) happened to sit next to each other at the Service Dept counters. :eek:

On that note, supposedly, my wife's Saab only need (synthetic) oil change every 5K (or up to even 10K), per dealership & owner's manual. Coming from old school, that's quite amazing to me.

#2 ·
Most cars only require oil changes every 5,000 mile nowaday. The manufacturing tolerances and matesrials used to build the engines are much better now then in the old days. Oils and filters are also much better. So the old 3,000 mile rule basically amounts to an old wive's tale nowadays.

My Highlander only required them every 5,000 miles and the oil barely changed colour during that interval.

I would follow what the owner's manual says. Your dealer is simply exploiting popular beliefs to increase their revenu. My dealer goes by the 3750 rule (6,000 Kms).

#3 ·
sduford,

Thanks for the info. I don't feel bad about my '03 Outback and the Service Package. I couldn't help but to think I was getting ripped by less-frequent oil change (then, not much of bundled discount), but that's cool, then. (I wonder if I were wasting $$$ when I did it at every 3K miles with my previous '95 Legacy/OB wagon, or maybe it needed it at every 3K back in '95.)

So, what makes the difference in requiring 3750-mile (ie. '03 OB) vs 5K-mile (ie. '01 Saab 9-3) oil-change interval?

#4 ·
FWIW, i just changed the synth in my OBS after abt 5-6000 miles. it was noticeably dirtier and more gunky than when new, not sure if that affected its lubrication ability any.

and on the Lube N Destroy places (girlfreind took it to one while driving it a while back) .....they used an IMPACT WRENCH to tighten the oil filter!!!! it took me and my best friend (6'1", 220#) some major pulling to remove, and the strap wrench crushed the filter in process. had to brace feet against wheels of car. we estimated 150-200 ft lbs..........:mad: :confused: :mad:

now if overtorquing lugs can distort brake rotors, what do you think that much torque on the oil filter does to bolted-together alum engine cases....??? :eek: :mad:

#5 ·
PiroChu said:
sduford,

So, what makes the difference in requiring 3750-mile (ie. '03 OB) vs 5K-mile (ie. '01 Saab 9-3) oil-change interval?
I'm not sure exactly why, but the V6 in my Highlander seemed to be much easier on the oil then my OBXT, or the Volvo 850 I owned before. I actually NEVr.ER had to add a quart of oil to the Highlander, and the oil still loked new after 4,000 miles, just a bit dirty at 5,000.

The OBXT does seem to consume more oil and to dirty it up faster. I just switched to synthetic last week, and the engine sounds and feels better. Those oils are supposed to be able to go longer, but I think the filter's ability to remove gunk is the limitation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.