Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie owner here. 2014 LTD 34k mi. Dealer is 1.5 hrs away. Telling me I need to go there every 6k for oil changes to stay in warranty. I say, as long as I go somewhere that can document when I have done, I should be good. Also, looked to me that recommended interval is 7500. I'll go 7k and just oil & rotate @ that interval.
Thoughts???

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,853 Posts
I have a friend that bought a 14 with 36,000 on it, I suggested he do 6,000 mile oil changes and rotations . = keep it easy to remember,

(he likes the local nice guy tire shop for such things,...idiot dealer is 60 miles away).

and in a bigger discussion for you all with that FB25B engine and those oil choices (over and above the 0w20 full snythetic that it came with).

for it I like 5w30 full syntheitc summer, 0w20 full synthetic winter,....or maybe just 5w30 full synthetic year round.

and watch the oil dipstick like a hawk with a bottle to top off in hand, looking for consumption.

______

did the dealer tell you if your engine is on the 100k mile extended warranty list, and the CVT is on the 100k mile extended warranty list?

Reactions: miker104

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,346 Posts
Reactions: eagleeye

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,913 Posts
A mod war!

:lurk:

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,853 Posts
whoops,

fixed that for easier reading, ...

in full sythetics that like thin stuff.

0w40 = what a bmw / vw / audi may take

0w30 = what I put in my snow blower that is stored at 20 degrees F, following toro factory ideas.

0w20 = what subaru thinks is OK,...persumably for good gas mileage.

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,537 Posts
You are absolutely correct about being able to have your services done wherever you like, including doing it yourself, as long as you keep records. As far as frequency, the 7k miles is just fine. I follow the 7.5k mile oil change interval that Subaru recommended for the same engine on the '13. And our European friends tell us that the oil change interval in their Owner's Manuals is even greater. So you will be fine.

P.S. Stay with the 0W-20. It's a great motor oil. Plenty of testing out there to show it is.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,913 Posts
To an educated degree, the interval doesn't matter so long as you have the UOAs to back you up.

6k seems awfully conservative and on my last UOA, Blackstone's numbers were that the TAN and TBN were still in a very good relationship with each other and 8k was the next suggested interval.

Dealers will not do a UOA if they ever deny warranty coverage and even if they did, that's only a single viewable event and not a track record of all the UOAs.

I personally would do 7-8k and call it good. With EP oils even that is probably conservative but it would take into acccount any severe service reduction.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,061 Posts
I do it myself using conventional 5W30 recommended for the 3.6R every 7,500 miles as specified in the manual, and always keep precise records on every vehicle we own. In more than 47 years of driving, I have never suffered an engine failure.

Don't allow any unscrupulous dealerships to mislead you.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
doesn't have to be done at the dealer. Has to meet Subaru's requirements though.

Also - dealers aren't routinely denying warranty coverage on your average routine DD's anyway. if you have a turbo engine that's different.

that would be an interesting poll - how many non-dealer maintained non-turbo folks with headgasket, 05 catalytic converters, and FB25 oil consuming warranty repairs (frequent issues over the past 20 years) - have had their records requested?

my experience is small and anecdotal but so far I've never seen it happen on average daily driver non turbo engines. and from a mechanical stance it makes perfect sense.

So yes - don't be dumb and follow the rules but get the idea that there's some big brother groveling over everyone's maintenance records for every warranty question is highly out of touch with reality.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,942 Posts
Newbie owner here. 2014 LTD 34k mi. Dealer is 1.5 hrs away. Telling me I need to go there every 6k for oil changes to stay in warranty. I say, as long as I go somewhere that can document when I have done, I should be good. Also, looked to me that recommended interval is 7500. I'll go 7k and just oil & rotate @ that interval.
Thoughts???
...do it yourself...just keep a record of oil purchase and date...I live four hours from our provinces only dealership...been doing this since second year we had the OB. I go to the dealer once a year for service of things I can't do...major things.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 3.6R
77 Posts
1 up for 8K & synth! Oh and you have to look at it. If it's dirty too soon there's a reason. If it's clean, well, it's still clean. And adding 1/2 to 1 Qt between, well, that's routine. It's a boxer!

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
187 Posts
Oil color is not necessarily an indication of anything other than an oil potentially carrying contaminants the way it is meant to. You'd have to rely on an oil analysis to ultimately determine if your dark oil really needed to be changed. Blackstone Labs...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts