Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeseterday I drained the oil from Karen's 2011 Subaru Outback and put on a new Subaru oil filter. Not remembering the exact oil capacity, I put in 5 quarts of new oil. Realizing my mistake before I turned the engine on, I dumped some of the fresh oil out. Last evening, I could not get a straight read from the dip stick. The dip stick had oil in a deep U shape. I didn't think that I dumped out more that a quart. As soon as I turned on the engine, the idiot oil can light came on the dash. I didn't want to risk any damage, so I shut to engine off and we used another car for our evening.

This morning, I checked the oil again and it appeared to be low. I added one quart of oil and the reading was just below the Full mark on the dip stick. Upon starting the engine one more time, the idiot oil can light came on at once.

What can be going on with this seemingly simple procedure?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
So the dip stick in any engine is a rough guage its not an exact science. As long as your not excessively over filled or way low out of the |<<<<<<<<<<| marked range the engine will OK.

The engine oil light might take a few minutes to reset pending what triggered it, pressure or oil level etc. As long as you know the dip stick is showing oil within range take it on a slow mellow trip around the block. The light should reset.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Something similar happened with the low tire air pressure reading. She came home one night telling me about it. I filled up the tires the next morning (cold) and she said it took a few miles for the light to go out. I'm pretty confident in my oil level readings, but those idiot lights drive me nuts.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
When you change the oil you have to remember that the oil filter is empty. It takes a half a quart to fill that alone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it for a little drive around the neighborhood and in about 1.5 miles, the idiot light went out. I wonder if it would have triggered a code that I could try scanning for.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to me. Are you sure it was the "low oil pressure" idiot light or the "low oil level" sensor. After I drained the oil I turned they key to the "on" position (not to start) to get the odometer to show the mileage so I could write it down in the log. Doing so tripped the low oil lever sensor which stayed on for a few miles after finishing my oil change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts