Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got the oil changed in our 2016 Outback in June; the sticker from the oil change place says we're not due to go back till December and we haven't hit the mileage threshold either. But the infotainment has started giving us a message on the screen to go to the dealer for oil change service. Could this just be something that the oil change place didn't reset correctly, or is it a sign that we need oil? I checked the dipstick and the oil level is between the dots -- not at the totally full level, possibly close to the halfway mark between the dots.

Do we need to take it in to see what's up, or should I just get the correct oil and add some to top it off?

If it is oil consumption, why have we not had this issue in the past couple years we had the car? Could it have to do with road tripping in the extreme heat we've had this year?

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
315 Posts
The shop that changed your oil didn't, or was unable to, tell the computer that the oil has been changed. You're fine if your dipstick level is OK (it is). I wouldn't do anything other than unfortunately be distracted by the notifications you're seeing.

If you do stop in at a dealer for some reason, I would be interested in how your dealer reacts when you explain that you had the oil changed elsewhere and now you want them to clear the notification. >:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, checking the sticker again, it turns out it was at the dealer. I don't know why they didn't clear it right.

So an oil level halfway between the dots is nothing to worry about?

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
315 Posts
Yes; nothing to worry about.

Your oil level on the dipstick should be between the two dots. Above the top dot = too much oil. Below the lower dot = too little oil. Between the two dots = good level. And for you, about halfway between the two dots = perfectly fine.

Your dealer should have reset the notification, but it's not an uncommon experience.

I haven't had to do it yet (new owner), but it appears you might be able to do it yourself. See the attached images from 2018 manual (may be different for your 2016, but may indicate an option for you - check your owner's manual, and/or your infotainment manual):

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
438 Posts
Go to a Auto Zone or like store and they can reset it for free with engine analyzer. Best way to check oil to see need for chabge is with LITMUS PAPER and color of oil

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i crystal white pearl
473 Posts
you can clear this yourself in the infotainment center easy peasy !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts