Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Outback and a 2015 Legacy. I do oil changes on the Outback, and have no problem sliding under to get to the oil drain plug.

However the Legacy is problematic. I've managed to do my last two oil changes, but the car is so low and closed up due to the skid plate, it is difficult getting access to the recessed drain plug. I almost gave up this time, but persisted and was successful. But it's no fun.

So that started me thinking about ramps. I looked online and don't like what I see. Race Ramps look good but they are so expensive. Rhino Ramps look too steep for my taste. Most of the ramps are 8" in height. But I don't think I need that much. I came across these -
"Rage Powersports Plastic Discount Ramps 6009-V2." They are 2.75 inches in height.

So my question - Given that I have no problem doing oil changes comfortably under the Outback without a ramp, do you think that 2.75 inch ramps will be enough for me to comfortably do oil changes under the Legacy?

Thanks,
Bob P.

https://www.amazon.com/Discount-Ramps-6009-V2-Plastic-Service/dp/B00UHLPES0

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
You can easily make your own ramps out of 2x8's. Just cut a 30-35 degree lead in end on 4 or so of them, and stack them one on top of the other ( glued and screwed together, of course) to make your ramp. A block at the front can be added to act as a stop against the tire. Easy to make in about an hour - assuming that you have a band saw to cut the sloped ends.

Or you can do it even simpler with 1" planks like this guy:

DIY - Homemade Wooden Ramps For Your Car - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,195 Posts

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know the preference of most is for the additional 8".

But my question was : Given that I can easily get to the oil drain plug under my 2007 Outback without any ramps, will an extra 2.75" be enough for me to comfortably get to the oil drain plug under the 2015 Legacy?

I suppose I can slide under the Outback and the Legacy and measure the clearances. If the difference is less than 2.75, I'm probably good.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've been using a set of Rhino ramps for over 10 years. I originally bought them to drive my Tacoma front wheels up on them to lower the bed and load my track bike. Since then I have used them on many vehicles to do oil changes. They work great and lift the front enough to slide under and complete oil change work.

·
Registered
'18 OB 3.6R
64 Posts
It's gonna be hard to say if short ramps will give you space or not, this is quite a personal decision, since the size of the person under the car has more to do with the decision than the size of ramps.

But, figure out the difference in ground clearance between the two, buy ramps that are that difference.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,712 Posts
I think the difference in actual ground clearance is about 3" between the Legacy (think it's about 6) and the Outback (about 9), so if that's all you're looking for, that should do it.

I'm looking at the new HF ramps, myself.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT, 2014 Outback Premium
41 Posts
I use low profile ramps that I had for changing oil in my Corvettes...Fumoto valve, on the ramps make for a 15 minute change on my 2014 Outback...a bit longer on my 2016 F150 3.5 EcoBoost...

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,682 Posts
ramps are cool. and diy ones are even more cooler. thinking of that myself. maybe diy from metal and make it higher. but any ramp would do if just for oil changing. could find ramp in nature too and use that like stones or fallen tree can be ramp.
i like those kind

or if you need go even more up

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4-cylinder NA 5-speed MT with almost 130k miles on it, of which about 100 are mine; the rest come from the prior owner. Trying to come up with a name for the car.
19 Posts
Are there Rhino Ramps with wheel chocks? I'm worried about my car rolling off, even with the handbrake...

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC/VTD/LSD 5eat , 2.8'' lift
1,682 Posts
if you put car on 4 ramps , not just front wheels it wont go anywhere. its not recommended use ramps on angle anyways just flat hard surface . if use just 2 ramps then secure other wheels with those

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
471 Posts
I love my Rhino Ramps! Use it a lot for working underneath my car. My Outback is lowered about 1.5" so it makes it very helpful.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I just use some generic plastic stacking ramps. THe LEgacy just barely clears them. My wifes Fusion Energy will drag the front air dam. So I have two short 2x4 blocks I set flat across the edge of the ramp. The car climbs up on the 2x4 block then rolls onto the ramp with about 1/4inch gap to spare then its oil change time. No biggie $25 stacking plastic ramps off Amazon.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback
15 Posts
Ramps are great one time investment. They will come in handy in changing trans fluid and rear diff, so I think you will find use for them on both cars.

·
Registered
2005 18psi supercharged U5 Outback w/207k+ miles
756 Posts
On my Outback I use Rhino ramps and I can slide a 5 gallon bucket under there. Combined with Fumoto valve, it makes oil changes pretty easy.

·
Registered
2007 Outback
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE : I created my own "ramps" LOL. I took a 6' long 2x12 and hand cut it in the center at a 45 degree angle. This gave me 1 3/4 inches of lift, which is enough for me. It was much easier for me to get to the drain plug.

Bob P

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
438 Posts
Just buy your own filter and oil and pay$10 to have it put in. Cheaper than buy ramp, Especially when you change oil every 6K. No Mess no cleanuo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts