Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback LDF MSRP $37,383
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and couldn't find any mention of this error in the owners manuals. I was cruising Scooby's site ad ran upon this information.

There has been come confusion regarding adding oil to the 04" Foresters. The owners manual is in error when it states 4.2Qts. Many have changed their oil and noticed that it looks low on the dipstick using the stated amount.

Here is the correction from SOA:

Begin Quote:

Dear xxxx:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We do apologize for this inconvenience. We appreciate that you brought this to our attention. The correct capacity for the engine oil for the 2004 Forester XT is 5 quarts when replacing the engine oil and filter.

The 4.2 quart capacity noted in your owner's manual is for the 2004 Forester non-turbo models when just filling up the engine oil and not replacing the filter. The capacity of the non-turbo models when replacing the filter is 4.8 quarts.

We have advised our Publications Department that this information needs to be added to future Forester owner's manuals.

Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Best wishes,

John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.

End Quote

·
Registered
2020 Outback LDF MSRP $37,383
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WRONG WRONG WRONG _ disregard

I can't believe you guys let this bald face misinformation go unchalenged!!!
I just changed my oil and put in 4.8 Qt. It filled up way above the bend in the dipstick - way above the notch for a hot engine. I even called my dealer and the tech said the book was correct - that the right amount was 4.2 Qt. I believed the internet instead !!!!!!!
I did have a way to vacuum out the 20 oz. overfill - and 20 oz. takeout put the oil right at the top 'F' notch on a cold engine. SO - THE '05 OUTBACK 2.5i takes 4 qt. + 6 oz. for an oil change. I apologise if I caused any of you any problems

·
Registered
100 Posts
First of all, forget books and manuals. Fill the oil until it is at the full mark. So much depends on how the oil is drained, for example, level (like on a lift), tilted (like on car ramps) and how long the oil is allowed to drain. I change my oil on car ramps, letting it drain until it stops, and have done my and my friends 06 OB, and BOTH times for both cars it used exactly 4.8 quarts. 4.2 quarts comes to about 1/3 of the way up the stick between low and full.

Use the dpstick ... not rumors or internet or manuals.

REVHIGH !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Brucey said:
The one next to the F (upper one) ?
No it is blank other then the holes and notch. My past cars only had the two holes and the level was in between them. Haven't seen one with a notch above the two holes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts