Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking to start doing the oil change myself for my 2013 outback.
I am sick of driving 2 hours and wait another 2hours to change oil at dealership. But, I never do this before. Have some newbie questions.

1) I plan to use the AMSOIL oil which has an interval of one year change.
However, it seems that Amsoil doest not have the right filter for 13 OB.
The subaru's own filter can last only 7.5 months (by manual).
So, is it possible that I change the filter but not change the oil every time?
i.e. keep the oil change and filter change in their own time schedule?
Does this sound a good or stupid idea :(

2) I notice that there is an item called "Lubricate Chassis Components" in the customer copy of the bill of my last oil change at dealer.
There are controversial information online. I believe many people change the oil themselves here.
Getting quite confused. Do you guys do the lubrication every time? ( I do not think i can do it myself, because I have no equipment to lift my car)

Thanks

·
Registered
546 Posts
I am thinking to start doing the oil change myself for my 2013 outback.
I am sick of driving 2 hours and wait another 2hours to change oil at dealership. But, I never do this before. Have some newbie questions.

1) I plan to use the AMSOIL oil which has an interval of one year change.
However, it seems that Amsoil doest not have the right filter for 13 OB.
The subaru's own filter can last only 7.5 months (by manual).
So, is it possible that I change the filter but not change the oil every time?
i.e. keep the oil change and filter change in their own time schedule?
Does this sound a good or stupid idea :(

2) I notice that there is an item called "Lubricate Chassis Components" in the customer copy of the bill of my last oil change at dealer.
There are controversial information online. I believe many people change the oil themselves here.
Getting quite confused. Do you guys do the lubrication every time? ( I do not think i can do it myself, because I have no equipment to lift my car)

Thanks
I am an Amsoil dealer and I would stick with the OCI in the owners manual for the oil and the filter. Wait until you are out of warranty to start doing the long drain intervals. That way if there is an engine problem, there is no finger pointing. You can use the Amsoil XL-7500 for normal drain intervals as it is alot cheaper then the premium stuff or just use the Subaru branded oil.

·
Registered
52 Posts
A typical oil change interval for engines running synthetic is 7.5k miles or once a year, whichever occurs first. I would change the filter and oil at the same time, there is no need to stagger the changes. You also don't need to use the same brand of filter as oil. There are plenty of options for oil filters out there, Purolator, Bosch, Wix, Mobil One, just to name a few. Any of these from your local auto store would be fine. AMSOIL is good stuff, no one will argue about that. However, using Castrol Sythetic or another qualtiy synthetic oil would also be just fine, plus you can get a 5 qt jug of it at Walmart for $25-30. Change the oil and filter every 7.5k or one year with some quality stuff and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Chassis Lubrication is an oxymoron, nobody has zerk fittings anymore. Consumers would be better served if they checked off cv boots et-al instead, but then again that would introduce more confusion. IOW, they check for leaks (oil or otherwise).

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
And while on the subject, there’s more to an oil change than supplies.<O:p</O:p
Do you have the proper tools (sockets, filter wrench, catch pan, ratchet, etc.) and their corresponding use? Can you decipher oil/filter specs?<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And while on the subject, there’s more to an oil change than supplies.<O:p</O:p
Do you have the proper tools (sockets, filter wrench, catch pan, ratchet, etc.) and their corresponding use? Can you decipher oil/filter specs?<O:p</O:p
Well, I can learn this. The oil change for OB is not that difficult because of the 8.9 inches of ground clearance and in-hood oil filter in 2013 model.

Actually, what made me decide to change myself is that if I did not remind the dealer, they almost put the 5w-30 normal oil into my OB ( Luckily, I told them that the manual requires the 0w-20 synthetic oil)
And the oil filter replaced is a black one, the part number is for H6,
they should use a blue one.

I do not trust them anymore.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, I can learn this. The oil change for OB is not that difficult because of the 8.9 inches of ground clearance and in-hood oil filter in 2013 model.

Actually, what made me decide to change myself is that if I did not remind the dealer, they almost put the 5w-30 normal oil into my OB ( Luckily, I told them that the manual requires the 0w-20 synthetic oil)
And the oil filter replaced is a black one, the part number is for H6,
they should use a blue one.

I do not trust them anymore.
To make it even easier install a Fumoto Quick Drain Valve (Google it) during the first oil change. As I recall it's Part# F-108

·
Registered
723 Posts
There is no chassis lubrication on the current Outbacks, per se. That went out along with tune-ups about 20 years ago. Maybe body parts such as door hinges need occasional attention; see your maintenance manual.

I'd stick with the factory-specified oil filter, at least until the aftermarket catches up and provides a filter that meets Subaru specs.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The Amsoil oil filters work just fine for the 2.5L engine. I've been using them for six years and my oil analysis results show almost no wear. The standard sized filter for this application is the EAO-13. You can also use the oversized EAO-20 which is still specified for the older Subies. You just have to be careful not to burn yourself taking it off, since the larger diameter of the EAO-20 puts your hand closer to that very hot exhaust manifold.

I've used the Amsoil 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30 and 5w-40 synthetics in the 2.5L engine for service intervals of 10k-18k miles. They all perform about the same with regards to wear
rates, but the low vis. 0w-30 provides slightly better fuel efficiency, as you might expect.

TS

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Amsoil oil filters work just fine for the 2.5L engine. I've been using them for six years and my oil analysis results show almost no wear. The standard sized filter for this application is the EAO-13. You can also use the oversized EAO-20 which is still specified for the older Subies. You just have to be careful not to burn yourself taking it off, since the larger diameter of the EAO-20 puts your hand closer to that very hot exhaust manifold.

I've used the Amsoil 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30 and 5w-40 synthetics in the 2.5L engine for service intervals of 10k-18k miles. They all perform about the same with regards to wear
rates, but the low vis. 0w-30 provides slightly better fuel efficiency, as you might expect.

TS
EAO-13 can be fitted to OB 13 ?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think this may be the best solution:
1) using AMSOIL Signature Series 0w20, change oil every year.
2) using Subaru's Oil filter, change the filter every 6 months. So, no old filter with new oil can happen. The AMSOIL EOA filter, although can be used for one year, but cost more than 2 Subaru's own oil filters. Since in OB13, the oil filter is on the hood, changing oil filter is a piece of cake. :)

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
3 months old now , 4500 miles on the car.
So 18k miles a year, one oil change per year. :confused:

Personally, I'd trust SOA's warranty 100x more than a third party fluid hawker like Amsoil. Just plain silly to void the manufacturer warranty and hope Amsoil will do the right thing if/when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Personally, I'd trust SOA's warranty 100x more than a third party fluid hawker like Amsoil. Just plain silly to void the manufacturer warranty and hope Amsoil will do the right thing if/when the time comes.
This ^^^
Amzoil, Basic H, Avon, Tupperware, HerbaLife....
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!!"

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
That puts your OCI at 9K-Filter, 18K-Oil.<O:p</O:p
Quick Googling tells me… EAO13/8psi bypass, or EAO20/11psi bypass. I don’t see how the math works, and that’s not looking at warranty yet.

The 013 now uses a different OEM 15208AA15A, anybody know/link the bypass spec?<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
546 Posts
So 18k miles a year, one oil change per year. :confused:

I would certainly wait for the warranty to expire to begin the extended OCI's. I have been using Amsoil for over 20 years doing once a year oil changes and never have had any issues. Usually works out to 15k miles for me. I have so many vehicles and equipment with engines, if I changed them all like I was supposed to, i would never have any time for anything else. Amsoil has come along way from the MLM stage and you can buy retail at most upper end parts shops. Even with this former cheezy marketing, their products are second to none.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I’m on 2x/Yr and just did its 6mos OCI, and put a whopping 2,600 miles on the oil/filter. That, is environmentally wasteful. My next (at 8mos), will be going to Mobil-1/PureOne for 1yr OCI - Warranty schmarranty.<O:p</O:p
I wouldn’t be surprised if Subaru developed these engines running 24-7/5K-rpm out to 61K miles, on the same one oil/filter. And if there were oil related problems, there’d be no more than a dozen members on this forum (granted Subaru was still selling in NA). Ever wonder why they sell factory 100K warranties.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
And what warranty anyway, does the engine know it’s under 60K? OCI is OCI.<O:p</O:p
Besides, per the Maint Manual… (R) or (I): Recommended service for safe vehicle operation.<O:p</O:p
It is not Required, common sense does but not legally. And there’s still the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
19 Participants
hongthan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing