Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing research for oil change supplies for after I get my 2013 Outback 2.5. Just so I'm correct on things:
-The 2013 Outback 2.5's do NOT have the same filter as the FB25's in the Foresters, correct?
-I will need filter #15208AA15A, correct?
-There are no aftermarket filters yet that matches the above filter, correct?

Also, I can't find a listing for a 2013 Outback 2.5 drain plug gasket. Can someone tell me the part number or at least tell me if the Outback FB25 drain plug gasket is the same in the 2011+ Forester FB25's?

I would've thought the oil filters were the same on all of the FB25's but apparently I'm wrong. I will have to stock up on the correct filters since I'm 3 hours away from the nearest dealer.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
-Correct.
-I believe so.
-Correct.

No sure about the crush washer.

You may look at some online Subaru parts vendors. The filters get fairly reasonable by the 6 or 12 pack.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
My dealer acted like the crush washer had not changed, we'll see as I picked up a few filters and crush washers while I was there. The filter has changed as well. I'm probably going to go with Amsoil OE 0w20 when I change it as well.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Premium
130 Posts
You should have 2 years / 24 mos free maintenance. Why worry this soon or do you already have over 24k miles in two months?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should have 2 years / 24 mos free maintenance. Why worry this soon or do you already have over 24k miles in two months?
I believe that is a dealer by dealer thing. If it is a Subaru thing, I will still change it myself so I don't have to drive 3 1/2 hours each way to get to my nearest Subaru dealer.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Premium
130 Posts
When negotiating between five different florida dealers, they all said it was standard. May be a FL thing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When negotiating between five different florida dealers, they all said it was standard. May be a FL thing.
It could be something that FL dealers are having to do to stay competitive with each other and other brand dealers. For many people, free maintenance would be a major selling factor.

I know in my area, nobody would care about free maintenance on brands like Subaru when a dealer is no where to be found.

Edited to Add: Often times, free maintenance packages are just ways of getting you into their doors to sell you more add on services. The challenge for service centers is getting you there in the first place. The sale of add on services is the easy part after that. They will probably try to sell you things like fuel injection cleanings, power steering fluid flushes, etc, way before those services are needed. Just be aware of that when you go in for your free services.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Premium
130 Posts
I change my Oil normally, so four free oil changes worth 30$ ea doesn't seem like much of a value either way, but I'll take it. :)

·
Registered
13 outback premium all weather with 2.5 and cvt graphite gray metallic
36 Posts
Had our local dealer tell me that they recomend 5000 mile oil changes on a 13 OB even though the book says 7500 because we live in a severe weather area I said uh huh yup it gets cold here and it gets hot boy that is severe oh and we get snow boy it is severe...

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,540 Posts
Here are a few options for alternate oil filters:

K&N PS1010
Mobil1 M1-110
Fram Ultra Guard XG7317 (A great choice is you are considering extended interval oil changes)
Purolator L14615 (Not yet available in the stores, but should be soon.)
NAPA Gold FIL 7055
Wix 57055 (Not yet available in the stores, but should be soon.)

I know. I am going to hear from others that these are not really acceptable alternatives to the Subaru 15208AA15A, because of difference in bypass valve pressure. But before you go letting all these opinions keep you from considering some great options for oil filters, go to - Bob is the Oil Guy, and do some of your own homework on how the bypass valve works in the oil filter. After you are done, you will learn that the difference in bypass valve pressure is really of no concern.

If you still want to stay with a filter that has the same bypass pressure, then you will have to wait until either the Purolator or Wix are availble.

As for me, based upon the excellent information I have found on - Bob is the Oil Guy, I am currently using the Fram UltraGuard.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Also, I can't find a listing for a 2013 Outback 2.5 drain plug gasket. Can someone tell me the part number or at least tell me if the Outback FB25 drain plug gasket is the same in the 2011+ Forester FB25's?
Have you considered a Fumoto oil drain valve? You will no longer need to worry about the drain plug gasket. Search results :: Qwik Valve

It is my understanding that Subaru has granted the Fumoto valve status as "genuine parts".

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,019 Posts
I have posted this before but will post it here as it is applicable to the thread. It is the service sched from the full service manual. I use this instead of the dealer one with all their added goodies that are not needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
56 Posts

K&N PS1010
Mobil1 M1-110
Fram Ultra Guard XG7317 (A great choice is you are considering extended interval oil changes)
NAPA Gold FIL 7055
I will add that if you can find any of the Subaru -15208AA160 left anywhere they seem to be an excellent filter. This is the black Tokyo-Roki filter that was superceded by the blue Honeywell (Fram) filter ending with 15A. The Tokyo-Roki filter exactly matches the specs, as it is the OEM filter specified for the FB25 engine in the Forester, and is the filter dealers were selling and installing in 2013 Outbacks during the time the blue Honeywell filters were recalled for seal defects. There is no oil filter spec difference between the FB25 engine in the Forester and the FB25 in the Outback. The part number difference is purely a supply manufacture difference, and the 2 filters are interchangeable where either one is called for. If I'm not mistaken I think the FB25 engine in the 2014 Forester is now coming with the Honeywell 15A. A couple of months ago I had no trouble stocking up on the discontinued 160's, but I think they're getting harder to find now.

·
Registered
'14 Carbide Grey 3.6R, SAP
28 Posts

K&N PS1010
Mobil1 M1-110
NAPA Gold FIL 7055

I know. I am going to hear from others that these are not really acceptable alternatives to the Subaru 15208AA15A, because of difference in bypass valve pressure. But before you go letting all these opinions keep you from considering some great options for oil filters, go to - Bob is the Oil Guy, and do some of your own homework on how the bypass valve works in the oil filter. After you are done, you will learn that the difference in bypass valve pressure is really of no concern.

If you still want to stay with a filter that has the same bypass pressure, then you will have to wait until either the Purolator or Wix are availble.

As for me, based upon the excellent information I have found on - Bob is the Oil Guy, I am currently using the Fram UltraGuard.
It has always been my understanding that NAPA Golds were made by Wix and those part numbers seem to support that.

Tim

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Graphite Gray Metallic with power moonroof, Auto dim rear view mirror & home link, Backup camera and Media hub
260 Posts
I just did my first oil change on my 2011 Outback 2.5i limited with 30k on it. I used fumoto value. It was a breeze to drain the oil. I used the Busch distance plus 3300. All the filters work fine in the fourth generation Outback. I do prefer Mobil 1. I got the Busch with discount and have a few Purolator One for backup.

K&N PS1010
Mobil1 M1-110
NAPA Gold FIL 7055

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
It has always been my understanding that NAPA Golds were made by Wix and those part numbers seem to support that.

Tim
Yes, I noticed this too. The only reason I didn't mention it, is I found it odd that the Wix is not yet available, but supposedly the NAPA Gold is available online at NAPA. I have not yet ordered any, but have considered trying this filter, while waiting for NAPA to offer a Platinum filter for this application.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts