Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2015 with 70K miles has failed the oil consumption test. SOA and our dealership shared that this is a known and documented issue with this model and certain VINs. As such, SOA will cover roughly 60% of the short block replacement to fix the problem leaving us responsible for $2500. This was my first new car ever and I specifically purchased the OB for its reliability (and safety).

This just seems bonkers to me. It's a known manufacturing issue -- why aren't they covering the entirety? I don't think I should be responsible for their issue -- it's not related to our driving of the car nor our care for it.

If you've had this problem I'd love to know what they did/didn't do for you or any advice on how to proceed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,819 Posts
... why aren't they covering the entirety?
Because it's out of warranty. Subaru offering to pay 60% is being generous; they don't have to pay anything.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
406 Posts
For the 2013 Legacies (and probably Outbacks) there was a class action lawsuit where they agreed to cover the engine for 100,000 miles on oil consumption. My 2019 is much better.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,850 Posts
Because it's out of warranty. Subaru offering to pay 60% is being generous; they don't have to pay anything.
Unless the oil consumption complaint was documented while under warranty and the dealer just delayed taking it seriously and doing the consumption test.
Not saying that is the case here but since it isn't all that far out of the powertrain warranty it could be.

This would certainly be one of those cases where the extended warranty might have paid off.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited, Cyrstal Black/Ivory leather- options: #23 and #5- accessories: wheel arch and body side moldings
22 Posts
I am just getting started on my research so pardon my ignorance. I have an apt with my local dealer to do the oil consumption test tomorrow. I have always burned a quart before my next oil change and after 3500 miles into this oil change I needed 2.5 quarts, hence my concern. I would hate to have to pay $2500 but I feel our options are limited. This first model year has been riddled with issues not like Subaru's history. I have had alignment issues, numerous electrical issues, replaced both rear wheel hub assemblies, sway bars, one strut, window seals replaced twice- still noisy as heck, rear abs sensor, nav system twice, leaky sun roof- no repair for that per dealer to name a few off the top of my head. I have 125k on it and it's paid off so I'm not quite certain as to what to do.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
1,906 Posts
Is this an issue with the 2015s only? I thought we all have the same engines?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
406 Posts
Is this an issue with the 2015s only? I thought we all have the same engines?
As mentioned above, the 2013s might be the worst, but even though the same basic engines they can use different parts--in this case rings. My 2019 doesn't seem to use much oil at all, my 2013 about a quart every 4,500 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our 2015 with 70K miles has failed the oil consumption test. SOA and our dealership shared that this is a known and documented issue with this model and certain VINs. As such, SOA will cover roughly 60% of the short block replacement to fix the problem leaving us responsible for $2500. This was my first new car ever and I specifically purchased the OB for its reliability (and safety).

This just seems bonkers to me. It's a known manufacturing issue -- why aren't they covering the entirety? I don't think I should be responsible for their issue -- it's not related to our driving of the car nor our care for it.

If you've had this problem I'd love to know what they did/didn't do for you or any advice on how to proceed.

Thanks!
Hi Foxymary (or anyone else who has dealt with this): any updates?

I am having the same issue with my '15 Outback. It has 90,000 miles and just failed the consumption test. This has been an issue for the life of the car, but previously the car apparently passed the oil consumption tests. Now that it's 10,000 miles out of warranty, it's not, and they are asking that I pay $2,000 of the $6,000 repair cost.

Curious if anyone has advice or experience recently with this issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2015 ob has 81k on it. Burns or leaks oil. Dealership told me there is an oil leak on the underside of the timing cover, Said it was $900 to replace the gasket ( could be, I didn’t look it up in the service manual yet). They said they probably wouldn’t worry about it.
but
i’ve opened this car since it had 28k. Had first transmission. Replaced at 55k. Second replaced at 72 or so, Yes it lasted one year.
now I, cruising on my third transmission.
I love the way this car drives but it is kinda a lemon.
the front seat has delaminated (leather or pleather). Head unit got replaced when I bought it because the usb didn’t work, passenger door skin not bonded to interior door structure ( a glow of silicone fixed this).
never had these issues with Honda or Toyota. Bummer because I love driving the ob

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Hi Foxymary (or anyone else who has dealt with this): any updates?

I am having the same issue with my '15 Outback. It has 90,000 miles and just failed the consumption test. This has been an issue for the life of the car, but previously the car apparently passed the oil consumption tests. Now that it's 10,000 miles out of warranty, it's not, and they are asking that I pay $2,000 of the $6,000 repair cost.

Curious if anyone has advice or experience recently with this issue. Thanks.
Best advice

as needed and drive on.....you can buy a lot of oil for $2k.

Reactions: AA8LL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Best advice

View attachment 487103

as needed and drive on.....you can buy a lot of oil for $2k.
Yes...thanks. Sadly, I think this is where I'm going to end up. Hate it from an environmental perspective, and it bugs me because Subaru claims to be environmentally-conscious as a brand. And they've known about this problem. Ugh. But yes, I think this is what lays ahead for me, at least for now. Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,923 Posts
Just throwing this out there, but maybe a high mileage oil might help with the seals and consumption.

Reactions: ecb2620

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes...thanks. Sadly, I think this is where I'm going to end up. Hate it from an environmental perspective, and it bugs me because Subaru claims to be environmentally-conscious as a brand. And they've known about this problem. Ugh. But yes, I think this is what lays ahead for me, at least for now. Thanks.
Just goes to show all this green initiative everyone is talking about is smoke and mirrors.

·
Registered
324 Posts
A well designed engine should burn no more than 4-5 oz of oil during the course of a 5000 mile oil change interval. This is almost entirely due to some "blow by." For the most part, you are supposed to take 6 quarts out and put six quarts in. Burning oil is a sign that all the tolerances are off. Things like piston ring gap, valve seal, etc.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,819 Posts
A well designed engine should burn no more than 4-5 oz of oil during the course of a 5000 mile oil change interval.
Unrealistic expectation.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Unrealistic expectation.
Agreed. Automakers probably regret ever adding the low oil light to their cars. Some owners were better off living in the ignorance of being a quart low between changes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts