Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I will have an OB in this week. It seems the oil consumption has been solved after 2015, is this correct? If not, what should I do to prevent it? Thanks!

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
Yes, it seems to have been resolved.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well.... yesterday, my Outback 2017 with 7700 km on it s,how me the low oil warning light on my way back to work. :frown2:

Already need oil?? WTF???

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
Well.... yesterday, my Outback 2017 with 7700 km on it s,how me the low oil warning light on my way back to work. :frown2:

Already need oil?? WTF???
You do know, don't you, that it's up to the driver to check his own oil level, typically every two or three fill-ups, just to make sure that the car ISN'T using oil?

I know we've gone away from full service service stations, but routine checking of things is STILL the responsibility of the driver. That way you know if the car is doing something it's not supposed to do. (Like have an oil seep, or potentially just have an issue.) Physically CHECKING the vehicle and not simply relying upon idiot lights is something people seem to not do anymore. Same thing for getting an accurate pressure gauge and checking your tires every so often. If all four of them lose air, the TPMS light will never come on.

Also note that if the low oil level warning light comes on, you don't keep driving. You pull over and STOP immediately, to make sure that there's not been something catastrophic happen (like a blown seal, which can happen regardless of the make) and you're driving with NO oil in the engine. If you ruin an engine that way, it's on you, not on the car company. (We just had someone have that happen to them.)

I'll get off my soapbox now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok, then I miserably fail this since the last cars I had.

Seriously, even though I check systematically the oil, it is not normal that a new generation car requires oil before an oil change.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
The newer engines use 0W20 oil and have reduced ring tension to increase fuel economy. The result is some oil consumption. It's typically higher when you travel at highway speeds.

The days of 10W30/10W40 oil and effective oil scraper rings that tended to not have oil consumption have sadly been left behind. The main problem is educating owners that some oil consumption is expected on newer cars. Car manufacturers and dealers have done poorly at educating people of this new normal.

On the early FB engines (11-15 MYs) there was a perception of excessive oil consumption and Subaru extended the warranty and if your engine burned more than a certain amount (measured in ounces) over 1200 miles then they would replace your short block. The downside was that the new short block would have a reduced fuel economy (up to 3 MPG).

Subaru and other manufacturers should have made the oil pan larger to accommodate the oil consumption so owners would not have to add oil between oil changes that is their expectation.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The newer engines use 0W20 oil and have reduced ring tension to increase fuel economy. The result is some oil consumption. It's typically higher when you travel at highway speeds.

The days of 10W30/10W40 oil and effective oil scraper rings that tended to not have oil consumption have sadly been left behind. The main problem is educating owners that some oil consumption is expected on newer cars. Car manufacturers and dealers have done poorly at educating people of this new normal.
That is an answer I like. Thanks for the good and clear explanations !

·
Registered
'16 STi, '17 Outback
112 Posts
Ok, then I miserably fail this since the last cars I had.

Seriously, even though I check systematically the oil, it is not normal that a new generation car requires oil before an oil change.
I assume you are in Canada? since we are the only country in the world that has/had 6spd manual.

Take your car to dealer and get it checked and keep an eye, 6spd cars had issues with main seal leak that was mostly solved.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tomorrow morning 7:30. Appointment taken! Explanation from the dealer matchs the one from miker104.

Reactions: miker104

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,695 Posts
Say what?
Indeed. That's not how the TPMS system works. The ones that use ABS to detect different tire rotation speed? Sure. When I deflate all 4 tires on the beach, the idiot light on the panel goes on.

That reminds me. I should probably check my oil. I have about 5,000 miles since my last oil change and I should eyeball it before I hit 6,000 miles on the oil.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,799 Posts
That reminds me. I should probably check my oil. I have about 5,000 miles since my last oil change and I should eyeball it before I hit 6,000 miles on the oil.
In a strict and absolutely correct sense, the car/OM doesn't require one to add oil until the level drops down to the lower mark on the dip stick.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
471 Posts
I've an OB '17 with the 2.5 engine

Having come from an '11 Forester that used a quart every 2,000-2,5000 I've been watching the OB carefully.

2 dealer oil changes so far, at 4,000 and 9,000 with zero consumption at 2500 miles from those changes. I keep a quart in the car, but expect this model to not use excessive out to 5000 or so.

Reactions: CarlDufault

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,695 Posts
In a strict and absolutely correct sense, the car/OM doesn't require one to add oil until the level drops down to the lower mark on the dip stick.
Sure, but you have to open the hood and pull the dipstick to know if you're down a quart. With 7 quarts in a 3.6R, I'm more collecting data on oil consumption than worrying about running out of oil.

It's too bad the filter on the 6-cylinder is underneath. I have an oil extractor for the diesel in the boat. I can't get at the filter without crawling under so I let the dealer do it. I'm 30 minutes from a dealership so it's kind of a PITA to go there for oil changes.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
Indeed. That's not how the TPMS system works. The ones that use ABS to detect different tire rotation speed?
Hey, I'm allowed to make mistakes. And I've seen a TPMS system that worked that way in the past, where if you deflated all four nothing triggered. Admittedly that was on an older vehicle ...

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
Hey, I'm allowed to make mistakes. And I've seen a TPMS system that worked that way in the past, where if you deflated all four nothing triggered. Admittedly that was on an older vehicle ...
You are correct. There were or maybe still are vehicles where the light is triggered by a difference in pressure between the tire with the most air and the tire with the least air.

All four go flat, no TPMS light.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6 Engine and 2019 Outback 3.6 Engine
47 Posts
Thanks Carl Abrams and Miker104 for reinforcing the manual checks...I have a 2015 with a 6 cylinder and I use "dino" oil and change it around 3 months or 3K miles and have never had to top of oil yet. I have 45K miles on it.

I wish I could also check the transmission oil like my Acura MDX,,,,I am forced to rely on the idiot light or look for spots under the engine. I have already had to have the pump sealants replaced.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts