Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'04 OB Wagon
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first oil change in my '04 OB wagon H6. (Castrol GTX 10W-30 for summer time). The parts guy told me I should also change the drain plug washer each time, so I got one of those also. It seems to make sense since the washer appears to be brass and would be single use. Does anyone else do this too? It was about one or two dollars. Just wondering. Any comments on continuing to use the genuine Subaru oil filters or should I just get the Fram filters at the local auto parts store?

Kurt

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
The oil drain plug washer is called a "crush washer" so for example you can check out this page of google results:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=crush+washer+subaru

As for your other questions, I suggest you enter the key words into google, and you should find a lot of previous discussions on several different forums.

Best of luck,

- A

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Always, always use a new crush washer each oil change. I have heard horror stories from the service department at the dealer about people not using a new one. Oil leaking out on a long trip, oil psi light going on, dead engine.
You can buy a five pack of them from the dealer for around $5 plus tax. Or you can buy a case of oil filters from subaruwrxparts.com and they come with the crush washer. Brian

·
Registered
2004 Baja Turbo
106 Posts
Those washers are good for a few rounds,i'm coming up on my 4th oil change with the orignal one with no leaks.I plan on changing it this time around.I'll go 3 changes to a washer with no problems.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Wow, it's really cheap insurance for under a buck. I personally wouldn't trust it more than once. Brian

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
355 Posts
I agree about replacing it every time. If you ask your dealer's service department, they will say the same. Which is why its always bothered me that the manufacturer/dealer don't just include the darn thing when you buy a filter.

If you're willing to go to the dealer & pay more for a factory filter, it seems like the least they could do. If you don't replace it, & it causes catastrophic oil loss, I'm sure the warranty wouldn't cover it :)

I've known of a few dealers who include the washer as a matter of course, but not many.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Replace every time. When I did my first oil change, I didn't. I had an annoyiin oil drip. Since I had just put the synth blend, I didn't want to drain all that oil.

3000 miles later, I did another oil change and replaced the washer. Now all's good. :D

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Limited, 2006 Forester, 2004 OBW 2.5 (sold) . .
157 Posts
O.K., so I'm in the process of changing my oil RIGHT NOW on my 04' OB. Even though I've changed the oil on it several times already, my last two oil changes have left me with the problem of a slightly dripping oil drain pan bolt.

I removed the bolt I inspected the crush washer only to find ANOTHER flatter type crush washer on there as well!!?? I assume
only ONE belongs?

I have a brand new one I bought and I quite nervous about "the drip" coming back after this oil change. I think that was the problem though; 2 washers together on the same bolt, the other washer LOOKS a bit different than the one I bought.

My real question is there is only ONE crush washer right? And assuming that's the case which surface marries up to the the bolt?
The totally flat side or the "ribbed/crush" side? I assure the flat side.

Please this is crazy, help me out??

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
JetSpeed, only one belongs there. What happened was that the last oil change person didn't pull the old one off. And seeing that your vehicle is somewhat new, the original one from the factory is painted black and is hard to get off. Kinda like they painted the whole pan area after the crush washer/plug was already in.

Only use one, and put the flat area against the head of the bolt, and the rounded area against the pan. That's why it was leaking, and that's also why I tell everyone to use a new one every time, for perfect fitment. Brian

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Limited, 2006 Forester, 2004 OBW 2.5 (sold) . .
157 Posts
Great thanks! I figured that. I can't believe I didn't see the
second one! It was painted black and flush w/the bolt. No
drip issues here now. Great forum btw!

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
kgeisinger said:
It was about one or two dollars.

Wow- they make you pay for them? My dealer just pops one in the box w/ the filter.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: Re: Oil drain plug washer

hvlwnc said:

Wow- they make you pay for them? My dealer just pops one in the box w/ the filter.
I paid $2.05 plus tax for one @ the dealer here:3:

I need to find a bulk seller. Maybe like Subaruparts or Allsubaru or something...

·
Registered
2000 Outback Wagon
4 Posts
Have changed the oil in my 2000 Outback Wagon every 3000 miles since break-in. I have yet to change the washer on mine and no leaks.

I am not recommending this, but whatever works best for you.

I drove 123 miles to my dealer last Friday to get the coolant protector put in (recall). I bought an extra bottle of the protector in case I need it later with coolant change and it came to a total of $l.48. However, with them doing the recall thing my gasket is gauranteed for the 100K now. That was worth the 246 mi. trip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts