Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 Outback, and 09 Forester, both with 2.5 sohc. I had bought a case of Subaru filters 3 years ago, and I just used my last one.

At the time the dealer gave me a great price on the filters. Now shopping Rockauto, there are lower cost options.

Whats the filter of choice people use?

I'm religious and change oil every 5K, and only use Mobil-1 5-30 since I have bought both cars new. Maybe an over kill but I find its easy to remember when the turns 5K its time to change, and for around $30 I think its worth it.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,318 Posts
Whats the filter of choice people use?
Are you trying to start a rumble? Touchy subject! lol.

As long as you get a filter with a bypass of 23 PSI or so, you'll be OK.

I use Subaru filters since I am still in the warranty period. They used to be sold at a good competitive price but the last one I bought was quite a bit more. I am considering Napa Gold filters, I hear they are good (made by Wix) and have the same PSI rating.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 3.6R Limited w/Navigation & SAP
68 Posts
I'm letting the dealership handle my oil changes until my warranty expires, but in my other cars I typically use either Bosch or Mobil 1 filters. I use the high-mileage ones, even though I change the oil on the regular schedule. When my warranty expires I plan to do the same with my Outback. I put 200K miles on my Audi A4 and when I replaced the valve cover gasket at 160K miles the valve train was a lovely golden color with no sludge.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
OEM are available for a reasonable price on eBay. Why take a chance now, after being so diligent up to now?

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
I just use the Subaru OEM Blue ones. I used to buy them on eBay but now that my son works at a Subaru dealer I get them cheap through him.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,700 Posts
it's VERY unlikely a diligent person will have an issue using any name-brand filter sold for their car.

That said, it's easy enough to find affordable filters that are OEM or 'near' OEM in specification.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,716 Posts
"What type of filter should I buy?" is akin to fighting words.

I'm not in the blue OEM camp at all. The bypass is needed because the blue filter has mediocre filtering media. It's celluose based and quite frankly, very old filtering technology compared to what's out there. The blue filter is made to Subie specs by Fram and it's what Subie wants at that price point but it's far, far from the latest technology out there.

Let's just ask a basic question of, "If that blue filter was all that and a bag of chips, how come it isn't recommended for longer intervals?" "What's the micron level?" "What's the flow rate of the cellulose media in that filter vs something in the Fram Ultra of M1 filter?"

Fram and Mobil are very well aware of the Subie bypass setting are quite confident in the lower setting (actually the Subie setting is an anomaly in the industry) of their filters because their media have high flow properties through their better media.

Fram Ultra or Mobil1 filters are now cream of the crop. Use either with absolute confidence.

For the record, I've been using the Fram Ultra since my car was new and the UOAs that I've posted here from Blackstone are stellar, even using non-SN oil. Don't get so caught up in the magic of blue because there's nothing magical about it that will contribute to or ensure that your engine lives a long life or won't go kaboom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts